collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Club vs Country.  (Read 8239 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Club vs Country.
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2018, 02:58:03 PM »
I was disappointed last night but I am over it now. More over it than I am over the play off final that was six or seven weeks ago. An England World Cup victory would have been hogged by the people who only watch football when a World Cup or European Championships is on. A trophy (or promotion) for Villa is one massive private party for the likes of us on here.

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2018, 03:15:10 PM »
I always refer to Villa as we and always refer to England as they.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2018, 03:31:03 PM »
I'm quite isolated as a Villa fan, not really encountering many others as part of the day-to-day, so it's a deeply personal thing for me.

England success, however, is quite a warm, inclusive feeling where virtually everyone is on the same page and in life the world is a better place.

Villa every time.

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2018, 04:56:14 PM »
The trend seems to be English blood, Villa heart

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2018, 06:17:15 PM »
The Play Off Final still hurts. England will be forgotten by next week whereas the consequences of our non-appearance at Wembley will haunt us for years to come.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2018, 06:23:15 PM »
Villa first

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2018, 06:28:37 PM »
The two are not mutually exclusive but obviously Villa is our club and we get to see / support them around 50 times a season. They are a part of our daily lives and fuel a lot of our conversations whereas England is more of a summer passion. Those semi final defeats in 1990 and 1996 still hurt though.

A tournament comes along every two years and as these tournaments expand the qualifying games become easier (don't tell Italy and Holland) so there is dullness around a lot of England fixtures.

One thing I love about watching England matches in the pub is that my mates and I all support the same team. It is a rare joy and I love it. But Villa first, obviously.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2018, 07:29:03 PM »
One of the regulars on here once said to me he'd rather Villa win a corner than England a match - I'm not that extreme and of course I would like to see England win tonight, but I'd sacrifice every single ounce of England success to see Villa win a trophy once more - I don't think any level of joy or emotion from the nation team can capture the joy of seeing us lift trophies at Wembley and similarly lose finals there too.

My bug bear with England is the pseudo fans that turn up every 4 years and suddenly display emotion that belies there otherwise indifference to football as a whole - i can't stand it.

Pretty much my thoughts.

Not so much this World cup as it's only got three days left but I genuinely know people at past World cups who've stopped watching the whole thing when England have been knocked out, 2014 that was after about six days.

Ridiculous.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2018, 07:59:58 PM »
In years gone by tournaments were far more enjoyable once England had gone out. That wasn't the case this time as the there was an absence of hysterical media hype and a group of players who had more humility than fake press-built legend status of those who have been in previous squads - Rooney, Gerrard etc. That said the relative success of this team has still attracted a following of people who claim to not stand football until there is a sniff of England doing well when they turn into experts. England is a distraction as is international football in general (which I love) but Villa is for life.

Offline MorrisNielson

« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2018, 09:41:10 PM »
Just to add to the debate, both Villa(s) & England sides kick off at 3 on Saturday.
I wont be watching England on TV, I'll be at Kiddy instead.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2018, 10:26:26 PM »
it took me all of 5 minutes to get over last nights result not because I didn't care I really did care

but I've just become used to football disappointments it's become a way of life, it's like water of a fucks back now

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2018, 12:54:46 AM »
I always refer to Villa as we and always refer to England as they.

I refer to England as "they" and Villa as "BOOOOOOOOOOO".

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2018, 07:16:22 AM »
I refer to us as The Villa. Or more regularly FFS Villa.

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2018, 02:55:44 PM »
Club by a distance for me.

I feel a disconnect between myself and footballers anyway but a decade of twats like Ferdinand, Gerrard and co - as good as they were domestically - has left me quite distant from the England side.

I feel that if England were better represented, we would feel a stronger affinity for them. I think that because I see the little vignettes of Bobby Robson and his England and think, "that was an England team!".

The FA, twattish players, prices, Wembley, etc all combine to make England very hard to like. Which hurts because I want to.

It's odd because I could level the same accusations at Villa, probably to a greater degree, but for some reason they escape my ire.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2018, 03:47:28 PM »
The two are not mutually exclusive but obviously Villa is our club and we get to see / support them around 50 times a season. They are a part of our daily lives and fuel a lot of our conversations whereas England is more of a summer passion. Those semi final defeats in 1990 and 1996 still hurt though.

A tournament comes along every two years and as these tournaments expand the qualifying games become easier (don't tell Italy and Holland) so there is dullness around a lot of England fixtures.

One thing I love about watching England matches in the pub is that my mates and I all support the same team. It is a rare joy and I love it. But Villa first, obviously.

I can't help liking my Villa supporting mates just that little bit more than I do my non Villa supporting mates (who are very nice people apart from the fact they don't support The Villa).

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal