collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Recent Posts

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed by Allan C
[Today at 08:30:16 AM]

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed by Abbeyfealeavfc
[Today at 08:10:00 AM]

Re: Wesley Moraes - signed (confirmed) by Bobby Boy
[Today at 07:42:52 AM]

Re: The NFL Thread (with added College Football) by Rotterdam
[Today at 07:22:14 AM]

Re: Press-ed off by alanclare
[Today at 07:15:15 AM]

Re: Press-ed off by ldavfc4eva
[Today at 07:03:02 AM]

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed by Clampy
[Today at 06:56:45 AM]

Re: The NFL Thread (with added College Football) by Axl Rose
[Today at 03:18:51 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Other Games - 2018/19  (Read 404949 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

Re: Other Games - 2018/19
« Reply #7290 on: May 21, 2019, 07:37:37 PM »
I'm not aware of the problems in Armenia, tbh.

However, Baku is 350 miles away so I don't see the issue.

Should Wembley and Hampden have been banned from hosting major matches during The Troubles in Northern Ireland? Should the San Siro have been closed due to its proximity to the Balkan War?

No, but none of those grounds are located in brutal dictatorships, for a start.

If UEFA wanted to really show some balls they'd stop doing that, and put principles ahead of money lust, but that'd never happen.

Offline cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 17.01.2020
« Reply #7291 on: May 21, 2019, 07:40:24 PM »
That's a more compelling argument. Did any English clubs petition UEFA not to hold matches in Spain while Franco was in charge?

Or does it only matter when the match is far away?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 07:42:11 PM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #7292 on: May 21, 2019, 07:48:29 PM »
Arsenal will be at a disadvantage because one player has taken it upon himself to withdraw. Possibly he feels unsafe, there doesn't seem much to back up his assertion. Possibly he just doesn't like Azeris and so doesn't want to play there. Either way, it isn't the host nation's fault.

Uefa will, presumably, have done a prematch check to ensure that it was a suitable venue.  The stadium already hosted Roma, Chelsea and Atletico Madrid this season with no incidents.

He fears for his safety, and not 'possibly'  No player should feel the need to pull out of a big final over their safety.

Offline Newby

• GM : 01.12.2020
« Reply #7293 on: May 21, 2019, 07:56:07 PM »
It's an absolute farce playing it over there.  Someone taking backhanders again?

Offline cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #7294 on: May 21, 2019, 08:07:32 PM »
Arsenal will be at a disadvantage because one player has taken it upon himself to withdraw. Possibly he feels unsafe, there doesn't seem much to back up his assertion. Possibly he just doesn't like Azeris and so doesn't want to play there. Either way, it isn't the host nation's fault.

Uefa will, presumably, have done a prematch check to ensure that it was a suitable venue.  The stadium already hosted Roma, Chelsea and Atletico Madrid this season with no incidents.

He fears for his safety, and not 'possibly'  No player should feel the need to pull out of a big final over their safety.

It depends whether his feeling is justified. Do you have any evidence that he would be unsafe?

I was more sympathetic with Paulie's argument about not playing in brutal dictatorships, but it would fly in the face of football history to start giving a shit, now.

As for the security issues, though, one thing brutal dictatorships are not known for lacking is "security".

If the issue is security, I'd say it is far more likely that English people will be injured in Madrid, either by police or twatty locals, than it is that representatives of English clubs will be injured in Baku. So why no fuss over the "Champions" League Final?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 08:10:49 PM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #7295 on: May 21, 2019, 08:17:02 PM »

It depends whether his feeling is justified. Do you have any evidence that he would be unsafe?

I was more sympathetic with Paulie's argument about not playing in brutal dictatorships, but it would fly in the face of football history to start giving a shit, now.

As for the security issues, though, one thing brutal dictatorships are not known for lacking is "security".

If the issue is security, I'd say it is far more likely that English people will be injured in Madrid, either by police or twatty locals, than it is that representatives of English clubs will be injured in Baku. So why no fuss over the "Champions" League Final?

So let's be clear. You think Mkhitaryan is crying out of the Final of a major competition because he's trying to make a political statement? But instead is lying by insisting that he doesn't feel safe? And you want the man, or his sympathizers, or produce actual evidence to prove he is in danger?

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #7296 on: May 21, 2019, 08:17:21 PM »
I appreciate itís Wikipedia but this article would tend to suggest an Armenian could legitimately be concerned for his safety in Baku:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenians_in_Azerbaijan?wprov=sfti1

Offline cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #7297 on: May 21, 2019, 08:23:12 PM »

So let's be clear. You think Mkhitaryan is crying out of the Final of a major competition because he's trying to make a political statement? But instead is lying by insisting that he doesn't feel safe? And you want the man, or his sympathizers, or produce actual evidence to prove he is in danger?

I don't think a final should be cancelled because one person says they feel unsafe, without any evidence to back up their feeling. Is that unreasonable?

UEFA have investigated and confirmed that it would be safe for him to play.

Arsenal's statement makes no mention of him being unsafe either.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7298 on: May 21, 2019, 08:31:20 PM »
According to this, Azerbaijan doesn't let Armenians (or people with Armenian names) into the country. If true, they have no business hosting any sort of international event.
https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/sport/2019/05/henrikh-mkhitaryan-azerbaijan-and-having-armenian-surname

Offline cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #7299 on: May 21, 2019, 08:33:12 PM »
Presumably they had to promise to overrule this rule before they were granted the final? Similarly Libya were banned from bidding to host the 2010 World Cup because of their refusal to guarantee entry to Israel, in the event of their qualification.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #7300 on: May 21, 2019, 08:36:59 PM »
Presumably they had to promise to overrule this rule before they were granted the final? Similarly Libya were banned from bidding to host the 2010 World Cup because of their refusal to guarantee entry to Israel, in the event of their qualification.

That's not really the point though.

Offline cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #7301 on: May 21, 2019, 08:37:33 PM »
I've read the article now, rather than just the headline. Have changed my mind. Take the final off them.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #7302 on: May 21, 2019, 08:43:15 PM »
I've read the article now, rather than just the headline. Have changed my mind. Take the final off them.

I thought it didn't sound like you!

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #7303 on: May 21, 2019, 08:50:05 PM »

Aye!

Online ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
« Reply #7304 on: May 21, 2019, 09:31:18 PM »
Baku is a nice city, I'd be chuffed if villa had a final there.