collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Would you go back?  (Read 4317 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Would you go back?
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2018, 09:17:22 PM »
I'd rather go back to 1982 and prevent Ellis from taking over and ruining the Champions of Europe.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2018, 09:45:28 PM »
No point looking back now, let’s look forward and try and build something sustainable and vibrant for the future.
This is sort of what I was trying to get to in a roundabout way.  At some point Tony Xia will sell up (this year, next year, 30 years, ...).  Personally, I don't particularly want Villa to be another billionaire's ego massage plaything (I didn't sell my shares to Lerner for exactly that reason, even when it was financially insane to keep them).  But, foresaking the billionaires means that, in all probability, an Ellis-like arrangement is the best situation (or Kenwright at Everton, or whatever).

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2018, 09:53:40 PM »
Futile going over old arguments but I do raise a smile when many fans around that time thought Ellis was the worst owner in history and pretty much anyone who followed him as owner possibly couldn't do any worse.

Just shows that out there are very many more bad than good owners as even if the intentions to succeed are good plenty else can go wrong.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 09:54:51 PM »
No.

Offline mike

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 11:20:51 PM »
Doug was useless in a different way. He held us back from being competitive at the very top of the first division when it was possible. We would probably never have got relegated under him and certainly wouldn't have gone bust. I didn't like him and I'm not going to get misty eyed or revisionist, but the scale of how he let us down was probably less than Lerner or Zia.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 12:00:16 AM »
Please, no more. Please.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2018, 07:16:02 AM »
lock.this.thread.

Online frank black

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2018, 07:39:05 AM »
Please, no more. Please.

This thread is the Football equivalent to water boarding.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2018, 10:43:19 AM »
Doug was useless in a different way. He held us back from being competitive at the very top of the first division when it was possible. We would probably never have got relegated under him and certainly wouldn't have gone bust. I didn't like him and I'm not going to get misty eyed or revisionist, but the scale of how he let us down was probably less than Lerner or Zia.

Aye that's my point. There seemed to be a big ground swell of opinion in his later years owning us that he was the worst owner in history and practically anyone taking over would guide us on in an unstoppable march to football domination.

Hasn't really happened despite spending about 200m odd and we're in even worse mess now so sometimes it's better the devil you know.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2018, 10:48:37 AM »
No point looking back now, let’s look forward and try and build something sustainable and vibrant for the future.
This is sort of what I was trying to get to in a roundabout way.  At some point Tony Xia will sell up (this year, next year, 30 years, ...).  Personally, I don't particularly want Villa to be another billionaire's ego massage plaything (I didn't sell my shares to Lerner for exactly that reason, even when it was financially insane to keep them).  But, foresaking the billionaires means that, in all probability, an Ellis-like arrangement is the best situation (or Kenwright at Everton, or whatever).

Not necessarily.  Surely a club can be ran within it's means if the person appointed knows what they are doing and makes sound appointments.   

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2018, 01:04:20 PM »
I would like to go back to Sir William Dugdale and Harry Kartz.
Doug was OK first time round from 1968 but should then have gone back to flogging package holidays instead of our best players.   

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2018, 01:03:05 PM »
He’d probably come out of retirement for a few quid, bless him.
Count the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves, he’d most likely say. Such a divisive figure in our history. Love him or hate him, we were a top club when he was in the driving seat. We’re garbage now. Time has a funny way of changing your outlook on things. For what it’s worth, I like to believe that he might have thought that selling to Randy (paper billionaire) was in the best interests of the club. Everyone will have their opinion on that. It seems strange to say it, but with Ellis and Stride, we might not have been the biggest club in the land, but we weren’t that far away.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2018, 04:43:13 PM »
Good grief there's some misty eyed history gymnastics going on.

Online Chris Harte

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2018, 10:20:17 PM »
If it meant us being in the top division, getting the occasional season of European football, the occasional flirtation with relegion (yes, there was the one exception where we fell through the trap door) but never actually having some people wondering if we'd actually have a club left to support (look at the joyful folk on Twitter for evidence), then yes I'd go back to the Doug-type chairmanship.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal