collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Extra Press-ure  (Read 4713 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Extra Press-ure
« on: June 10, 2018, 02:13:40 AM »

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: Extra Press-ure
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 02:27:42 AM »
A very good and sobering read. Yes  when cookie crumbled we just happen to be mugs in there.😥

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 02:32:06 AM »
Saying it like it is. I applaud you.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 02:52:10 AM »
Summed up perfectly.

It was always going to be us though, when you think of it. Big enough to be debated in parliament, not quite big enough to be outraged that it's us.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 02:52:35 AM »
Very well said.
I hope those responsible get to read this.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 06:51:26 AM »
Good read and don't disagree.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 07:01:55 AM »
Don't agree with the "shoes they tried to fill" bit.
Looks to me like one of them is still wearing them.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 08:36:34 AM »
Excellent summary though I feel Bruce is let off lightly.  Not because his management of team performance was not good enough, it wasn't, but because for the last two seasons he has been the beneficiary of the wanton mismanagement of money without comment or reluctance.  Rather like captain of the ship passing the sinking Titanic that believed distress flares were a fireworks show.

Offline Scratchins

• GM : 19.11.2024
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 08:47:58 AM »
Spot on Dave. In my worst nightmares I could never have imagined this. At the AVST AGM Wyness & Round seemed certain that either eventuality could be dealt with. 

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 10:47:33 AM »
Great piece Dave.
But it’s hit me hard. A realization that our great club was almost lost.
And you’re right. How many other clubs are being run this way? Just trying to catch up and chase a virtually impossible dream.
And while I’m on. How many clubs are going to use the Winter break for what it’s meant to be used for? I see big money in yours to Quatar and like. As if clubs at the to aren’t making enough.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 11:14:25 AM »
Excellent summary though I feel Bruce is let off lightly.  Not because his management of team performance was not good enough, it wasn't, but because for the last two seasons he has been the beneficiary of the wanton mismanagement of money without comment or reluctance.  Rather like captain of the ship passing the sinking Titanic that believed distress flares were a fireworks show.

I agree with you Brian regarding Bruce, and the football has been pretty shit too.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 11:47:47 AM »
Excellent article, especially the last paragraph.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 12:14:04 PM »
I think that supporters have to take some blame as well.  The pressure from fans on the Club to buy players, without much thought to the cost to the Club for the fee and wages. I remember one comment on here where somebody pulled another up about the cost of a player and the response he got was "well, it's not my money".

When an owner gets into financial problems, it's who can come in next and fund what I want. There seems to be an expectation that owners should just throw £100s of millions into the pot.

The damage was done when we did not consider the 'worst case scenario' if we didn't spend the Benteke and Delph money well. Since then, we have sailed on hopefully trying to match fans expectations.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 12:17:17 PM »
I think that supporters have to take some blame as well.  The pressure from fans on the Club to buy players, without much thought to the cost to the Club for the fee and wages. I remember one comment on here where somebody pulled another up about the cost of a player and the response he got was "well, it's not my money".

When an owner gets into financial problems, it's who can come in next and fund what I want. There seems to be an expectation that owners should just throw £100s of millions into the pot.

The damage was done when we did not consider the 'worst case scenario' if we didn't spend the Benteke and Delph money well. Since then, we have sailed on hopefully trying to match fans expectations.

It's a twist on what joe_c once said - "I want you to spend your money on my hobby". We expect the owner to pump in large amounts, never take a penny back, and we don't think about what would happen should the time come when he can't keep bankrolling us

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 12:53:18 PM »

It's a twist on what joe_c once said - "I want you to spend your money on my hobby". We expect the owner to pump in large amounts, never take a penny back, and we don't think about what would happen should the time come when he can't keep bankrolling us

Nobody forces owners to buy clubs.  Xia clearly did so because he probably thought he'd get the club back into the Premier League and then get a return on his investment, either through making a profit or more likely from a sale at a price far in excess of what he paid for it.  A few of us have voiced concerns about owners and their ability to finance the club, but usually get told "not to worry about it".

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal