collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 09:32:52 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:30:40 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:28:41 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 09:26:55 PM]

Diego Carlos by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:23:18 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Drummond
[Today at 09:20:21 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by algy
[Today at 09:18:36 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by AV84
[Today at 09:01:25 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Fan Ownership  (Read 7359 times)

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Fan Ownership
« on: June 07, 2018, 12:10:37 AM »
https://twitter.com/StanCollymore/status/1004339679431483394

I've seen that people have referred to Stan Collymore's tweets on this subject on other threads but I thought this might deserve one of its own.

Is this in any way worth looking at? I have no idea whether it's a starter but on the surface it seems like an attractive proposition.

Do the numbers add up in any way?

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
Re: Fan Ownership
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 12:14:29 AM »

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 12:20:57 AM »
If it is in any way viable, then I doubt that it would be Collymore's vision that delivers it, but I'm interested in the principle in general.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 12:27:13 AM »
Anything involving him is an automatic no.

Apart from that it would still be a no, there's good reasons that Portsmouth are the biggest club in this country to have gone down that route and they sold up after a few years. For me it's one of those great ideas in principle that would be a nightmare in reality.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 12:29:59 AM by PeterWithesShin »

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 12:29:17 AM »
Hodgson and Collymore touting themselves to run it no doubt.

No thanks.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 12:37:15 AM »
Hodgson and Collymore touting themselves to run it no doubt.

No thanks.

But isn't the point that credible executives are appointed in a sort of elected dictatorship for a defined period of time, voted in by the members/shareholders at various intervals. A sort of Mick Crow, rather than a HH busybody scenario?

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 12:48:21 AM »

Apart from that it would still be a no, there's good reasons that Portsmouth are the biggest club in this country to have gone down that route and they sold up after a few years. For me it's one of those great ideas in principle that would be a nightmare in reality.

I think fan ownership at Portsmouth stabilised the club somewhat, but there was a recognition that they needed more financial muscle if they were to move the club on. 

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 12:48:57 AM »
While it seems like utopia on the surface, if you've spent 5 minutes on Twitter or Facebook reading Villa related posts and tweets you would understand why this would be so difficult. The conversation can become incredibly toxic even though we all have good intentions. Would there be necessary credentials for supporters or certain exclusions to avoid trolls?

In all honesty, if £2,500 got me in the door.. I'd ask the wife for permission.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 12:51:41 AM by villadelph »

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 12:49:10 AM »
He posted this

https://youtu.be/_NBzoq-nNF4
Why would any one take any notice of some one that can’t be bothered to get out of bed to do a broadcast.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 01:24:07 AM »
Makes some extremely good and valid points. Think it was filmed in the early hours which is why SVC was in bed.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 01:33:16 AM by Diablo »

Offline TonyD

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 01:29:40 AM »
Getting 40k attendance in division 6, will surely be a world record!

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 01:46:27 AM »

I think fan ownership at Portsmouth stabilised the club somewhat, but there was a recognition that they needed more financial muscle if they were to move the club on. 

Yep and that's my point, they did a good job of stabilising the club but that was in division 4 with attendances 3, 4 or 5x higher than anyone else had. As soon as they'd stabilised it they sold up. I just don't see how it's workable at a club the size of ours.

You only have to think of the disagreements on here, often about very trivial Villa stuff. And this is one of the best Villa places, if not the best, for quality of posters. And if anyone thinks that's an exaggeration just go and spend an hour so in Villa Facebook groups, Twitter etc. I didn't realise just how bad some of it was until I joined a few groups for watching Villa games live.

Offline waringpongo

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 08:23:27 AM »
Why not a fan ownership or part ownership of the ground and training ground and we then lease the ground to the owners. The crown jewels are then always safe

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 08:31:25 AM »
We had fan ownership in the past.

Quite a few on here defended the great custodian when he ended it.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2018, 09:49:21 AM »

Yep and that's my point, they did a good job of stabilising the club but that was in division 4 with attendances 3, 4 or 5x higher than anyone else had. As soon as they'd stabilised it they sold up. I just don't see how it's workable at a club the size of ours.

You only have to think of the disagreements on here, often about very trivial Villa stuff. And this is one of the best Villa places, if not the best, for quality of posters. And if anyone thinks that's an exaggeration just go and spend an hour so in Villa Facebook groups, Twitter etc. I didn't realise just how bad some of it was until I joined a few groups for watching Villa games live.
This  a hundred times over! made me delete facebook off my phone. I had no idea we had such a large portion of morons following us. The one silver lining about not going up is that the rules change next seasn and every game is shown on AVFC. for the sake of £5 its worth paying so not to hear streamers burping, farting, letting their kids scream in the corner and arguing with their wives.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal