collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Is it time for Premier League Division 2  (Read 3926 times)

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
Re: Is it time for Premier League Division 2
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2018, 12:07:16 PM »
I agree a lot of this, but must say that next season'e championship is looking more like the old Division One I knew and loved growing up in the 70s/80s - anyone could feasibly win it, which is a good thing.  I have no interest in the Prem.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2018, 12:53:58 PM »
Pretty much stopped watching football of any description outside of the lower leagues.  I know footballers have a short-ish career, but even 2nd tier squad players they get paid more in a week than I do in a year.  Career's not that short, and it ain't like they're totally unemployable afterwards in any case.

Rather than the Premier League division 2, Wouldnt it be great to be the pioneers of the New Football League Division 1. Break away from the greed and filth of modern football.

Give every club a squad wage cap equivalent to 10k per player with squads capped at 25players, standard 2 year rolling contracts extended at the end of each season with wages diminishing for the second season if player/club dont agree to extend it. No transfer fees, agent fees paid by the player if he chooses to have one. match ticket prices reduced accordingly and capped. TV rights could be bought by the BBC as they could afford it again - Rules set for 10 years apart from wage cap rising in line with inflation.

It may only attract players of current FL1/2 level but modern football is going to eat itself eventually. We would still get 38k through the door every week
This.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2018, 12:55:53 PM »
I agree a lot of this, but must say that next season'e championship is looking more like the old Division One I knew and loved growing up in the 70s/80s - anyone could feasibly win it, which is a good thing.  I have no interest in the Prem.

I haven't had much interest in it since we've been out of it either.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2018, 01:22:39 PM »

Same for me.  I haven't watched MoTD for 3 years. 

Offline cumbriavilla

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2018, 02:19:57 PM »
The current model is unsustainable and perhaps it's best to be out of the PL when it all implodes. That could mean some clubs going to the wall. There is too much money at the top and not enough lower down. I think a tax of 1% of turnover on ALL clubs would be a good idea and that pot of money is redistributed at the end of the season equally to every team in each division - so 40% of the pot goes to League 2 teams, 30% to League 1, 20% to the Championship and finally 10% to the Premier League.

Won't happen but think of the good that could come of it...

Offline wolfman999

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2018, 09:33:20 AM »
The TV companies as I understand it are already indicating that future rights deals will not be like in the past with BT apparently indicating they may not bid for future rights packages. As the league becomes less competitive each year, people are turning away from watching the same old teams wining everything. Man City are undoubtedly a good team, they should be with the money they're spending, but how much of their record points and goals last year was because most of the league is made up of crap?

Offline Dinas_Caerdydd

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2018, 02:14:01 PM »
think it's a time for a european league to be set up been advocating this for a few years now . the top 2 or 4 from spain , germany , prem league , italy etc play in a league of there own .

this would leave the rest to compete on a more even keel . can't see it happening any day soon but i can't see any other alternatives . can you ?

Offline wolfman999

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2018, 02:39:56 PM »
think it's a time for a european league to be set up been advocating this for a few years now . the top 2 or 4 from spain , germany , prem league , italy etc play in a league of there own .

this would leave the rest to compete on a more even keel . can't see it happening any day soon but i can't see any other alternatives . can you ?

The trouble is that the money would just follow the so called mega clubs and there would be even less for the rest.

The Chumps league format was changed when this was threatened a few years back to ensure the same elite continued to dominate and take most of the cash.

Even when they lose in the Chumps league, several are fast tracked into the later stages of the Europa  Cup.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2018, 02:50:52 PM »

I was saying the same when the England squad was announced. Outside of the few obvious names I just couldn't comment on many of the players because I just haven't paid attention to it. My appetite for football is declining and I hate admitting that, especially in a WC year. Fuck Villa have sucked the enjoyment out of a sport I love and I know it shouldn't be like that.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2018, 03:16:58 PM »
Simple answer is NO.
The premiersh-te is bad enough (Monopoly City had it won pre-xmas). Any team from 5th/6th down could be swopped with any of the top 11/12 teams in the championship and there wouldn't be much difference.
The championship has its faults but at least it's competitive in its current format.

Offline Dinas_Caerdydd

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2018, 10:21:16 PM »
ok so it looks like all alternatives are a no go then

on a similar tone how would you lot feel that if rangers and celtic be allowed in the prem league ?

i,m sat on the fence with this one

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2018, 10:34:40 PM »

Same for me.  I haven't watched MoTD for 3 years. 

Me too. Few lads at work were talking about getting fantasy football league going and I could say with all honesty that I have no interest in the premier league so wouldn't be joining in.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2018, 10:36:57 PM »
Never in a million years would I want those 2 in the English leagues. The can keep their bigotry north of the border.

Offline Dinas_Caerdydd

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2018, 10:59:21 PM »
i guess that's the downfall of both clubs shinny to ever it happening  . on a football front would like both to be involved a sort of british league

i get a bit of grief with the welsh clubs in the english pyramid from fans from over the border . i couldn't imagine us playing tns and bangor every week in the welsh prem league -lol

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal