collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Pit of Misery (All mess in here)  (Read 91767 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: The Pit of Misery (All mess in here)
« Reply #540 on: June 14, 2018, 09:43:16 AM »
Over 50 years you can add Leeds to the list.

They've not won as many trophies as us in the fifty years beginning 13th June 1968.

They had won the League Cup in the March, so they were the holders.

Add to that the Fairs Cup, FA Cup, two league titles and a Charity Shield.

By my calculation, compared to us they're down two domestic cups (and we've reached more finals), up one league title, and won the Charity Shield outright. We both have won a European trophy (although they've been to more finals and their defeat in 75 was somewhat controversial).

Let's agree that that makes them our equal over five decades. Added to which, over that period we also probably both have as many chokes in cup finals as one another.

I don't agree. We've had a better past fifty years than Leeds. We've won more, our average league place is higher and we've been in the top division for longer.

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #541 on: June 14, 2018, 09:44:34 AM »
Just to cheer you all up a bit, some naming news from across the Expressway

"The Club has agreed a significant naming rights partnership with Trillion Trophy Asia Ltd.With immediate effect, Blues ground will be renamed St. Andrew's Trillion Trophy Stadium.And the Wast Hills training complex will become the Trillion Trophy Training Centre."

Offline mike

« Reply #542 on: June 14, 2018, 09:46:24 AM »
It’s the next fifty years that bother me, I’ve just passed this chalice to my son.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #543 on: June 14, 2018, 11:01:05 AM »
A trillion is 1,000,000,000,000, so they're only 999,999,999,996 off the number of trophies they've won. It's near enough I guess, I don't want to be pedantic about it.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #544 on: June 14, 2018, 11:32:17 AM »
why do we care a shiny shite about Leeds United?

Offline Fred Crump

« Reply #545 on: June 14, 2018, 05:00:43 PM »
A Leeds supporting mate ( soon to be ex! )  just told me we have just announced two European pre-season friendliest- against Rapid Decline and Inter Administration. I did my best to appear unamused, but I must admit when he had gone I did have a chuckle. It’s my way of coping with the current farce - if you don’t laugh you’d have to cry.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #546 on: June 14, 2018, 11:15:33 PM »
I have never been so desperately despondent about supporting the Villa. My dad and uncles used to tell me about how bad things were in the mid to late sixties until HDE took over. I started going in 69 so I’ve seen some bad times too. This is definitely my mid sixties. 2nd division, bankrupt and about to sell our best players with a dinosaur as a manager. Does it get any worse than that????

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #547 on: June 14, 2018, 11:20:23 PM »
I have never been so desperately despondent about supporting the Villa. My dad and uncles used to tell me about how bad things were in the mid to late sixties until HDE took over. I started going in 69 so I’ve seen some bad times too. This is definitely my mid sixties. 2nd division, bankrupt and about to sell our best players with a dinosaur as a manager. Does it get any worse than that????

Oh toughen up for crying out loud (no offence meant though). The club will fight on and continue and we’ll come back stronger however long it takes.
I don’t know about anyone else but all this crap we’ve had to endure has made me love the club even more.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #548 on: June 15, 2018, 06:47:29 AM »

Oh toughen up for crying out loud (no offence meant though). The club will fight on and continue and we’ll come back stronger however long it takes.
I don’t know about anyone else but all this crap we’ve had to endure has made me love the club even more.

In the late sixties they ripped up the old plan that had seen them fall down the leagues and started again with a completely fresh idea on the way forward. When you reach the bottom, you either change your ways completely or you continue to fail and eventually fold.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #549 on: June 15, 2018, 06:56:04 AM »

It kind of makes you want to see it fight harder doesn't it. I am as gutted as anyone about losing the players we are about to lose, but new ones will come through. We will be back.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #550 on: June 15, 2018, 07:29:35 AM »
that's the spirit - come on you Villa boys (literally)

Offline Allan C

« Reply #551 on: June 15, 2018, 07:46:36 AM »

In the late sixties they ripped up the old plan that had seen them fall down the leagues and started again with a completely fresh idea on the way forward. When you reach the bottom, you either change your ways completely or you continue to fail and eventually fold.
Don’t misunderstand me. I know we’ll fight back as we did then and yes, we’ll be strong again. I just hope that the “ripping up the old plan” involves getting rid of the buffoons who got us here in the first place. Where is our “Vic Crowe” and “HDE” ??

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #552 on: June 15, 2018, 08:12:18 AM »
First things first, Fred call your Leeds friend and have as big a bet as you can afford that we finish above them next season.

Aston Villa is a leathery old crocodile that will bite your legs off.

We survived the passing of the hat round the fans to buy Bruce Rioch from Luton (they chucked in the wonderful Villa servant Neil Rioch for free) bloody certain we can survive this.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #553 on: June 15, 2018, 08:22:28 AM »
I was around for the transmogrification of the Villa back then.  The scenarios are chillingly similar and very frightening.  There is one small difference between now and then IMO and that is, it didn't take billionaires back then to overhaul a club and get it back on a sound financial footing and put it in a position to challenge for the top honours.  I accept the fact that the value of money is relative.

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #554 on: June 15, 2018, 08:28:16 AM »
Not convinced that Bruce is the man to turn us around.  If it’s a multi year plan with some ups and downs I don’t think his brand of football will keep people interested during that period.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal