collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Pit of Misery (All mess in here)  (Read 92386 times)

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
Re: The Pit of Misery (All mess in here)
« Reply #555 on: June 15, 2018, 08:39:38 AM »
Not convinced that Bruce is the man to turn us around.  If it’s a multi year plan with some ups and downs I don’t think his brand of football will keep people interested during that period.

Then who is it that will play a ‘better’ brand of football and get us promoted with the seemingly financial constraints we are under?

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #556 on: June 15, 2018, 08:41:43 AM »
Personally I’d look at Dean Smith who has put together teams on budgets playing good football with an emphasis on developing younger players.

Offline Proposition Joe

« Reply #557 on: June 15, 2018, 10:26:52 AM »
Personally I’d look at Dean Smith who has put together teams on budgets playing good football with an emphasis on developing younger players.

But isn't the thing that for the most part he hasn't put together the team, it's been done chiefly by the data mining / analytics guys they have there? I would be wary about extrapolating success at an analytics-soaked club like Brentford to a more "analog" old school chaotic mess like ours.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #558 on: June 15, 2018, 10:45:57 AM »
Not convinced that Bruce is the man to turn us around.  If it’s a multi year plan with some ups and downs I don’t think his brand of football will keep people interested during that period.

Then who is it that will play a ‘better’ brand of football and get us promoted with the seemingly financial constraints we are under?

Nathan Jones, Chris Wilder and Smith would guarantee better football on a low budget. Guaranteed promotion is another thing, just ask SB.

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #559 on: June 15, 2018, 11:32:25 AM »

But isn't the thing that for the most part he hasn't put together the team, it's been done chiefly by the data mining / analytics guys they have there? I would be wary about extrapolating success at an analytics-soaked club like Brentford to a more "analog" old school chaotic mess like ours.

I think the data is used to an extent yes, in terms of identifying players who are better suited to be able to perform in a certain way.

You still need the correct coaching to implement though! It has to be better than aimless passing back to the keeper for a long ball to Hogan.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #560 on: June 16, 2018, 01:32:37 AM »
I'm going to mention 'Moneyball' just to annoy PeterWithesShin! :)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #561 on: June 16, 2018, 01:41:40 AM »

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #562 on: June 16, 2018, 07:23:41 AM »
We could create a  PWS Hadron Collider if we mentioned Moneyball and Mick McCarthy in a single post.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #563 on: June 16, 2018, 07:32:18 AM »
I have two words for you, one of which is an initialism, mashed together to make one; sabermetrics. *drops mic*

Offline Perthvillan

• GM : 25.08.2023
« Reply #564 on: June 16, 2018, 07:37:23 AM »
I have never been so desperately despondent about supporting the Villa. My dad and uncles used to tell me about how bad things were in the mid to late sixties until HDE took over. I started going in 69 so I’ve seen some bad times too. This is definitely my mid sixties. 2nd division, bankrupt and about to sell our best players with a dinosaur as a manager. Does it get any worse than that????

Oh toughen up for crying out loud (no offence meant though). The club will fight on and continue and we’ll come back stronger however long it takes.
I don’t know about anyone else but all this crap we’ve had to endure has made me love the club even more.

Offline Perthvillan

• GM : 25.08.2023
« Reply #565 on: June 16, 2018, 07:43:34 AM »
Gotta agree Saunders Heroes, I have supported Villa for 50 years and way back then we were in pretty bad shape. We went from the Third Division to European champions in ten years. I know the financial Si taut ion is completely different today but as fans we keep the faith. "Owners" and players come and go but we remain. We will come through this mess and go on.
UTV

Offline Zouch Villa

• GM : 12.02.2024
« Reply #566 on: June 16, 2018, 08:17:39 AM »

The sad truth is, if Bruce is not inclined to just walk away, then we probably can’t afford to us what little money we have got to pay him off and then attract a replacement.

There will clearly be a very different transfer policy this season, with us focusing on the ‘young, hungry and cheap’ prospects that we tried then bottled it a few years ago.  The key for me is how robust is our scouting and coaching infrastructure?  I’m not sure Xia is about to invest in BMH to deliver long term results.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #567 on: June 16, 2018, 08:38:13 AM »
For me I’d say we have to up for sale. I don’t think Xia will make any changes to the management team (involving payoffs etc) while we are in this position. Just can’t shake the feeling that this is ANOTHER wasted opportunity to do things ‘properly’.
Bruce was employed for one reason, he was allegedly the promotion ‘expert’. Style was sacrificed in exchange for a quick return to the prem. This short sighted approach has backfired and He has been an utter failure.
We are now in another new era, one of no big budgets, the requirement to be more dynamic and build a sustainable youthful team. One based on no more recruitment of OAP’s with zero sell on potential or lack of general ROI.
This new era is in dire need of a whole new coaching setup and approach. Bruce is NOT that man nor will he all of a sudden cast aside 10 years+ of management to change his ‘style’.

I have been a champion of Dean Smith for ages and would love to see him have a crack. If we tried something new and dynamic then the fans would give a lot of patience while we evolve. I just cannot see any patience being given to Bruce this season. Anymore no shows in the first/second half, his usual “that’s the championship” crap post match. He moaned about FFP constantly last season, god knows how bad it will be hearing every week how we’ve lost big players in Jack, Chester and JT but “that’s where we are”.
Granted I can see why some people think in this time of instability it’s the safer bet to have him. Ultimately though ‘the safer’ bet has contributed to this mess.

Rip it all up and start fresh I say

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #568 on: June 16, 2018, 08:44:33 AM »
Agree with all of that.  What little money we have should be channelled into coaching and scouting.

Offline eddiemunster

« Reply #569 on: June 16, 2018, 08:50:58 AM »
Not sure if anyone has already talked of it elsewhere on this site, with regards to FFP, but what is to stop the Dr from renaming the stadium and training ground, like the noses have, to get round FFP ??

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal