collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Pit of Misery (All mess in here)  (Read 92411 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: The Pit of Misery (All mess in here)
« Reply #525 on: June 13, 2018, 11:24:10 PM »
3 titles to our 1, 2 FA Cups to our 0, 0 LC to our 4, 1 CWC vs our EC, 0 seasons out of the top flight to our 11. Sadly, Everton edge it for me.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #526 on: June 13, 2018, 11:47:07 PM »
Last 25 years (trying not to present it as when football was created but it's still a decent chunk of time in football history( we've won two league cups, same as Spurs. Everton with their one FA cup so pretty level there.

What's killed things is our rapid decline since 2010 as Everton have stayed relatively stable and Spurs have improved which has put a different slant on league positions as it was also very close between the three.

Sadly we didn't move with the times and the mis-managed at the top really caught up with us while on the whole Spurs and Everton have made decent managerial appointments.

Martinez, Koeman, Marco Silva.

Redknapp, AVB, Pochettino.

Ours look amateurish in comparison.

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #527 on: June 13, 2018, 11:48:22 PM »
Clubs that have done better than us over the past fifty years - Liverpool, Arsenal, Forest, Manchester United, arguably Spurs and Everton, plus Manchester City and Chelsea bought their success. Are there any others?

We don't half like to revel in misery sometimes.
I think that we are quite tolerant.Would we have demanded the head of a manager who in 22 years always finished in the top 6,won the double twice,went a league season unbeaten,and won the FA Cup 3 times in the last 5 years.Also the only club in that list who have not been relegated in any of their fans' lifetime.Definition of being miserable.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #528 on: June 13, 2018, 11:51:56 PM »
Quite possibly. Success changes expectations.

Being charged a grand a season ticket probably doesn't help, either.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #529 on: June 14, 2018, 03:32:01 AM »
3 titles to our 1, 2 FA Cups to our 0, 0 LC to our 4, 1 CWC vs our EC, 0 seasons out of the top flight to our 11. Sadly, Everton edge it for me.
Well Everton come close only when you take into account no relegation but that’s not winning stuff.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 03:40:05 AM by olaftab »

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #530 on: June 14, 2018, 04:31:38 AM »
Last 25 years (trying not to present it as when football was created but it's still a decent chunk of time in football history( we've won two league cups, same as Spurs. Everton with their one FA cup so pretty level there.

What's killed things is our rapid decline since 2010 as Everton have stayed relatively stable and Spurs have improved which has put a different slant on league positions as it was also very close between the three.

Sadly we didn't move with the times and the mis-managed at the top really caught up with us while on the whole Spurs and Everton have made decent managerial appointments.

Our managers have all been poor and I include MON in that , he like Bruce spent loads and achieved nothing and worse left the club with bang average players with high wages and no sell on value.

But then the ceo and chairmen position has also been bang average also so the problems start at top and work their way down

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #531 on: June 14, 2018, 04:54:53 AM »
Over 50 years you can add Leeds to the list.

They've not won as many trophies as us in the fifty years beginning 13th June 1968.

They had won the League Cup in the March, so they were the holders.

Add to that the Fairs Cup, FA Cup, two league titles and a Charity Shield.

By my calculation, compared to us they're down two domestic cups (and we've reached more finals), up one league title, and won the Charity Shield outright. We both have won a European trophy (although they've been to more finals and their defeat in 75 was somewhat controversial).

Let's agree that that makes them our equal over five decades. Added to which, over that period we also probably both have as many chokes in cup finals as one another.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 07:58:09 AM by TopDeck113 »

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #532 on: June 14, 2018, 07:40:32 AM »
Fairs Cup isn’t a recognised trophy by UEFA and the Charity Shield is a glorified friendly.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #533 on: June 14, 2018, 07:55:13 AM »
Perhaps, but it is difficult to argue that the Fairs Cup doesn't constitute a major honour as it was the direct predecessor of the UEFA Cup.

I'll concede your point about the Charity Shield - when clubs remove it from their roll of honour. Likewise the Super Cup (although our second leg against Barcelona was anything but friendly).

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #534 on: June 14, 2018, 08:34:38 AM »

Was saying this to a spurs fan on twitter the other day. He said a large portion of their fan base moan about Levy and how he holds them back by being tight and not paying big for the best players, I told him i would kill for Levy in charge of us for the last feew years(even though he is a cock) Its almost impossible to believe that 10 years ago, Villa, Portsmouth and Blackburn all finished well clear of Spurs (5 points or so)

The people that have precided over the league in that time should hang their heads in shame...

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #535 on: June 14, 2018, 08:38:54 AM »
Charity Shield and Fairs Cup my arse. Might as well include the Intertoto Cup in that case.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #536 on: June 14, 2018, 09:30:22 AM »

Our managers have all been poor and I include MON in that , he like Bruce spent loads and achieved nothing and worse left the club with bang average players with high wages and no sell on value.

But then the ceo and chairmen position has also been bang average also so the problems start at top and work their way down

MON was still a big name at the time and pretty highly rated.

Plenty of neutral around that time would've been impressed by us appointing him, probably seen as a coup in 2006.

I imagine when we appointed Houllier in 2010, most thought he'd retired. I certainly did so that to me is a managerial appointment that didn't continue the momentum we had from previous 3 years.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #537 on: June 14, 2018, 09:32:01 AM »

MON was still a big name at the time and pretty highly rated.

Plenty of neutral around that time would've been impressed by us appointing him, probably seen as a coup in 2006.

I imagine when we appointed Houllier in 2010, most thought he'd retired. I certainly did so that to me is a managerial appointment that didn't continue the momentum we had from previous 3 years.

it was a massive deal at the time, I remeber I was on holiday in Cornwall and it was the national evening news, with the VP open and the press conference and everything!

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #538 on: June 14, 2018, 09:33:00 AM »
Charity Shield and Fairs Cup my arse. Might as well include the Intertoto Cup in that case.

Don't forget the Peace Cup.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #539 on: June 14, 2018, 09:33:12 AM »
Over 50 years you can add Leeds to the list.

They've not won as many trophies as us in the fifty years beginning 13th June 1968.

They had won the League Cup in the March, so they were the holders.

Add to that the Fairs Cup, FA Cup, two league titles and a Charity Shield.

By my calculation, compared to us they're down two domestic cups (and we've reached more finals), up one league title, and won the Charity Shield outright. We both have won a European trophy (although they've been to more finals and their defeat in 75 was somewhat controversial).

Let's agree that that makes them our equal over five decades. Added to which, over that period we also probably both have as many chokes in cup finals as one another.

Have you forgotten the Peace Cup already?!  David O'Leary was right etc..

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal