collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tony’s Statement.  (Read 323754 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Tony’s Statement.
« Reply #2190 on: July 20, 2018, 10:17:50 PM »
Stride has got to be pushing on 70 now, we don't need him back, we need to, finally, replace him.

Offline A Northern Soul

• Xxx
  • GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #2191 on: July 20, 2018, 10:26:42 PM »
Co chairmen is a face saver it never works in practice, the majority shareholder will call the shots. All I could ask for now is for Steve Stride to be re-employed now that would set the tone of how the club would be run in future.

The fact that Sawiris is now listed as Executive Chairman on the website, with Edens and Xia simply as Co-Chairmen suggests where the new power really lies

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #2192 on: July 20, 2018, 11:46:47 PM »
Co chairmen is a face saver it never works in practice, the majority shareholder will call the shots. All I could ask for now is for Steve Stride to be re-employed now that would set the tone of how the club would be run in future.

The fact that Sawiris is now listed as Executive Chairman on the website, with Edens and Xia simply as Co-Chairmen suggests where the new power really lies

Sawiris is running the show.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #2193 on: July 21, 2018, 12:05:48 AM »
Egypt’s richest family owns Aston Villa I’m fcukin still pinching myself. He’s worth more than the Glazer bloke.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #2194 on: July 21, 2018, 12:20:50 AM »
We're still running, that's the main thing here. FFP still fucks us up a bit and limits what we can do so let's not get carried away.

One thing about investors is always that they'll pull the plug if they don't see a return coming. So let's hope they make their investment work.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2195 on: July 21, 2018, 01:02:21 AM »
More than ever we need a highly competent chief executive to run this club. I'd like to see us target Nicola Cortese and pay him what he wants.

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #2196 on: July 21, 2018, 09:24:46 AM »
More than ever we need a highly competent chief executive to run this club. I'd like to see us target Nicola Cortese and pay him what he wants.

In an interview with The Times in March 2010, Cortese discussed his approach to running a football club.

Clubs spend money they do not have; they spend next year’s income. They spend money that will not arrive for two years and say, "But we'll have some success and bring in more cash to cover the shortfall". It cannot be sustained. In good times you need to be saving money for the bad times. If we reach the Premier League, I would like to be in a position where we did not need parachute payments. In good years you should put money away for the bad years.[2]

Offline Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #2197 on: July 21, 2018, 09:53:11 AM »

In an interview with The Times in March 2010, Cortese discussed his approach to running a football club.

Clubs spend money they do not have; they spend next year’s income. They spend money that will not arrive for two years and say, "But we'll have some success and bring in more cash to cover the shortfall". It cannot be sustained. In good times you need to be saving money for the bad times. If we reach the Premier League, I would like to be in a position where we did not need parachute payments. In good years you should put money away for the bad years.[2]

Like in life generally: put money away if you can for a rainy day. Common sense is what's needed to run the club now & not the bullshit and reckless spending we've been subjected to in recent years (The Villa Engine: phhrtt!).
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 09:55:54 AM by Behind Bluenose Lines »

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #2198 on: July 22, 2018, 08:58:59 AM »
I'd love it if cortese came in

I'm fully signed up for medium term plan, sustainability, no quick fixes, even with these new sugar daddies

Let's face it if they wanted to chuck gazillions at success there's easier ways to get there than starting with villa at the moment

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #2199 on: July 22, 2018, 10:06:38 AM »
We're still running, that's the main thing here. FFP still fucks us up a bit and limits what we can do so let's not get carried away.

One thing about investors is always that they'll pull the plug if they don't see a return coming. So let's hope they make their investment work.

My thoughts exactly. I hope it all works out and we've set such a low standard with owners, that barring them moving the club to Cairo i can't see how they can fuck us up more, but i'm ignoring it for the time being so if it is the start of a successful professionally run club for a change then i'll be pleasantly surprised

Offline Damo70

« Reply #2200 on: July 22, 2018, 11:28:25 AM »
Egypt’s richest family owns Aston Villa I’m fcukin still pinching myself. He’s worth more than the Glazer bloke.

I don't think Glazer is that rich apart from some royalties from reruns/repeats of Starsky and Hutch.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #2201 on: July 22, 2018, 11:37:36 AM »
I’d like to see us target Nicola key

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #2202 on: July 22, 2018, 11:43:10 AM »
At least she used to reply to my emails

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #2203 on: July 22, 2018, 11:45:54 AM »
We’re like the candle that you blow out, yet it comes back alight!

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #2204 on: July 23, 2018, 12:18:23 AM »
Did he appoint Les Reed as director of football at Southampton  ? If so can we target both please 👍

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal