collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tony’s Statement.  (Read 322255 times)

Offline achilles

Re: Tony’s Statement.
« Reply #1680 on: July 16, 2018, 05:15:48 PM »
I get the impression that the Doctor wants the 'investment' money to help prop up his other interests as I cannot see anything wrong with the 'strict guidelines' imposed by the American Group.

I believe the good Doctor is down in London today for eight hours of 'talks', goodness knows what about, satisfying the EFL that we can fulfill the season fixtures perhaps?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1681 on: July 16, 2018, 05:30:42 PM »
I get the impression that the Doctor wants the 'investment' money to help prop up his other interests as I cannot see anything wrong with the 'strict guidelines' imposed by the American Group.

I believe the good Doctor is down in London today for eight hours of 'talks', goodness knows what about, satisfying the EFL that we can fulfill the season fixtures perhaps?

Can't see anything wrong with them? I think putting a price tag like that on Grealish, which would almost certainly block his sale and make it very difficult to pass FFP would be a problem unless it comes with a whole host of other plans on how to make up the difference if he isn't sold.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1682 on: July 16, 2018, 05:39:18 PM »
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/revealed-how-aston-villas-cash-14915250

BirminghamLive understands that the American group who wanted to invest in the club set out strict guidelines to Xia when they submitted a formal offer last month.

One of those was to set a fixed price tag of £40m on Grealish to act as a disincentive to sell.

They also wanted that money to be used as working capital if he did leave, but Xia rejected the approach.

Despite having takeover plans in place, too, it’s now unlikely that particular group will return.
Just what is Xia hanging on for?? If he takes us any further towards the financial abyss he will come out with nothing.
I fail to believe he is waiting for the right buyer for the club ....we have certainly been hoodwinked by Lerner and  now Xia. There needs to be revolutionary change in the way the club is run -the money that has been squandered is scandalous. Furthermore we need a progressive manager pretty sharpish as for me Bruce has clearly had his day.....let's hope the right person or consortium is out there and that the current owner sells up - some investigative journalism from the Birmingham Mail would be a change - to ascertain just why Xia is over here and has he shown his face at B6

I am certainly no fan of Lerner but I don't think he 'hoodwinked' us. He had passion and was prepared to throw money around regarding the ground, the training ground, transfers and wages. I think a combination of his personal circumstances with his marriage breaking up and the club becoming less successful by the season when his original plan was for us to be successful meant he lost interest in general and certainly lost interest in throwing around any more money. If he was trying to hide his lack of interest, lack of enthusiasm and lack of desire to carry on heavily spending he didn't do it very well. As for Xia, as it stands he appears to be a chancer who gambled heavily, rolled the dice, lost and is now screwed.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #1683 on: July 16, 2018, 05:41:49 PM »
That sounds about fair.

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #1684 on: July 16, 2018, 05:42:33 PM »
£40m for Jack? He’s proven to be an exceptional Championship player for 6 months. That valuation shows a worrying lack of knowledge or an understanding of our FFP issue.

Jack is a special player for Div 2 Villa I get that, but maybe a 30 goal striker might fetch that out of this league but not a midfielder.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #1685 on: July 16, 2018, 05:44:16 PM »
I think we can file the Mirror story as bollocks. £40m minimum or we won't buy the club? Right you are.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1686 on: July 16, 2018, 05:44:40 PM »
Lerner definitely tried to hoodwink the fans in my opinion.  People on here were questioning the big year-on-year losses and were told not to worry our pretty little heads about it, that it was all part of the plan.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #1687 on: July 16, 2018, 05:50:06 PM »
Lerner definitely tried to hoodwink the fans in my opinion.  People on here were questioning the big year-on-year losses and were told not to worry our pretty little heads about it, that it was all part of the plan.

Lerner did haemorrhage cash at a staggering rate to have a go at cracking the Champions League in all fairness.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1688 on: July 16, 2018, 06:01:20 PM »
Lerner's judgement of people was far more of a problem than his financial management and I don't think he could even try to hoodwink anyone over that, he just had an uncanny knack of bringing in exactly the wrong person for the job he needed doing.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1689 on: July 16, 2018, 06:02:48 PM »
At least we knew that Lerner had money.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1690 on: July 16, 2018, 06:09:36 PM »
That sounds yabout fair.
Seconded..I'd like to add that Lerners dick is responsible for a lot of our problems!

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1691 on: July 16, 2018, 06:14:27 PM »
I don't think Lerner tried to hoodwink us either. Like Damo said, for one reason or another, he lost interest. He always seemed to find funds for manager's in fairness too. .

Offline b23

• GM : 02.09.2019
« Reply #1692 on: July 16, 2018, 06:22:01 PM »
Do we actually have a pitch to play on yet?

Yes. The pitch has been lowered by nearly three feet. New drainage, under soil heating and water sprinklers have been laid. A red 4G AstroTurf has been laid between the pitch and Stands.
The pitch looked lush this afternoon. I would post a couple of pictures taken this afternoon if i knew how to, but i don't.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1693 on: July 16, 2018, 06:29:37 PM »
That sounds yabout fair.
Seconded..I'd like to add that Lerners dick is responsible for a lot of our problems!
The dick that ent by the name of Martin O’neil.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #1694 on: July 16, 2018, 06:43:44 PM »
I standby my terminology as I feel I was fooled into thinking Lerner was in it for the long term and that he also had substantial business acumen  - he seemed a " nice guy" but was easily parted with his money by those more financially astute - ergo Mrs Lerner
If your assertion is accurate and he became bored with it all it kind of mirrors his commitment and experience at the Browns .
Maybe he was naive and trusted in the wrong guys - I think Krulak was a friend of his father's' and he therefore trusted his loyalty to the family. I agree some of his deeds at the Villa were positive, as were his charitable donations to several worthwhile causes - he was pseudo reclusive so we never got to hear his voice much - if at all. Shame it didn't work as it started so promising - I still cherish the free scarf as well as a Villa/Browns half and half scarf - even though I'm a Dolphins fan :)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal