collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tony’s Statement.  (Read 322729 times)

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

Re: Tony’s Statement.
« Reply #1575 on: July 09, 2018, 08:41:09 AM »
Agreed that it is a proper mess right now and to a great extent the culmination of poor decisions and mismanagement over a long time.

But we are where we are.

If there is a 30% stake available for c.£30m to an investor(s) with the right intentions, is it time for a consortium of fans?

Not lead by someone intent of grabbing their 15 minutes in the limelight, but a democratic group that would properly represent the interests of fans - both those in the consortium and the wider fanbase.

You would need 8,000 people to invest £5,000 each to reach £40m covering the cost of buying a stake and a modest capital injection (in football terms) plus cover some of the professional fees. Obviously there are other permutations though I would be in favour of no-one being able to invest too much and then dominating the group.

I know not every fan has £5,000 (or whatever) to spare, but many do. There are Villa fans that are respected people in required professions - corporate finance, governance and legal issues, organisational change management, etc. that could provide guidance.

There are now lots of crowdfunding vehicles and services to support the process.

A representative group that would be recognised as being credible would also 'test' the current owners claim that he will only sell a stake to those with the right intentions.

Plus to me, exploring whether it is a viable option feels a better bet than expressing frustration at the current situation. UTV.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #1576 on: July 09, 2018, 10:34:00 AM »
If Tony appoints a top class CEO with vision, drive and a will to win, all could be saved. 

They’ve been chatting up Mark Ashton

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #1577 on: July 09, 2018, 11:10:32 AM »
If Tony appoints a top class CEO with vision, drive and a will to win, all could be saved. 

I seem to remember he was dead popular at Watford - or maybe not!!!

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #1578 on: July 09, 2018, 12:55:50 PM »

I now live in Bristol and had a season as a volunteer coach with the Bristol City Academy, 3-4 years back. It is an excellent set-up and Mark Ashton pushed for the set-up at SGS/Wise Academy, Filton that is where a big chunk of the academy is based. It was a significant investment as they were League 1 at the time.

As well as the coaching they put a lot into the behaviours and character they expect from players - and from what I saw they are doing more than paying lip service to it. Gary Probert now heads the academy (ex Gloucestershire FA) and he has a good approach from what I saw/know.

By contrast, Bristol Rovers train at the ground of the club I play for (Vets now) and they look as if they are not really looking to instill values into their players with anything like the same intent, i.e. a few things pinned up in changing rooms, where at Bristol City it informs all areas of operation.

If Mark Ashton were to come to Villa, for me it would be a step in the right direction.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1579 on: July 09, 2018, 01:13:19 PM »
However it’s analysed, we are in the worst state that we have ever been in. The question is therefore whether Xia is the man to get us out of it. Sadly, I fear he isn’t, and is too stubborn to admit it; heaven only knows how the support will react if and when he shows his face at a home game again.

I am also concerned that he would rather hang on and do irrevocable damage to the club in a bid to try and save face than admit his failings and let it go. 

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1580 on: July 09, 2018, 03:41:11 PM »
I don’t think it is just about losing Face, he will lose a shit load of money aswell if he sold up now.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1581 on: July 10, 2018, 09:55:43 AM »
I'm thinking we should call him Xia Xia Binks such is his effectiveness.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1582 on: July 10, 2018, 10:20:04 AM »
I don’t think it is just about losing Face, he will lose a shit load of money aswell if he sold up now.

He has lost out whenever he sells because he is still probably going to have to plough in the maximum permitted under FFP for every subsequent year that he remains in charge. 

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #1583 on: July 10, 2018, 02:47:44 PM »
I'm thinking we should call him Xia Xia Binks such is his effectiveness.

You're hilarious!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1584 on: July 10, 2018, 02:52:17 PM »
His thinking will be that if he sells now, he'll take a substantial loss; whereas if he can attract some inward investment and then somehow still get us promoted in the next couple of years, it'll be win win all round.  However, he doesn't seem to have realised that people buying minority shares in football clubs isn't exactly the norm in England these days, and especially when the current owner has clearly made such a huge mess of things.  Not exactly going to inspire people to part with tens of millions.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #1585 on: July 10, 2018, 03:56:24 PM »
His thinking will be that if he sells now, he'll take a substantial loss; whereas if he can attract some inward investment and then somehow still get us promoted in the next couple of years, it'll be win win all round.  However, he doesn't seem to have realised that people buying minority shares in football clubs isn't exactly the norm in England these days, and especially when the current owner has clearly made such a huge mess of things.  Not exactly going to inspire people to part with tens of millions.

I was actually pretty optimistic about the season when I thought we up for sale. Since our imbecile owner declared he only wants to bring in minority investment I have rather less grounds for optimism. Nobody in their right mind would put a brass farthing into the club while he is at the helm.

I am still hopeful he will have to give up and sell before the season starts, and we manage to sack Bruce and appoint someone competent.

Offline wolfman999

« Reply #1586 on: July 11, 2018, 05:26:11 PM »
After careful consideration of all the circumstances surrounding our owner I have come to the conclusion he's a chancer without a pot to piss in.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #1587 on: July 11, 2018, 11:37:56 PM »

Exactly he is deluded if he thinks anyone will invest and leave him as the decision maker

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1588 on: July 11, 2018, 11:43:02 PM »
How many seconds do you think it would take any corporate advisor or Investment Banker to tell him to fuck off if he came up with the idea of raising £30 to £ 40 million for a minority interest.
So we can take this part of the story as total horse shit.
Then you have to take into account everything else that has been said.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #1589 on: July 11, 2018, 11:47:30 PM »

I seem to remember he was dead popular at Watford - or maybe not!!!

Yeah doesn't seem well regarded there but seems to have done ok at Oxford and then Bristol

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal