collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tony’s Statement.  (Read 320812 times)

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Tony’s Statement.
« Reply #840 on: June 15, 2018, 05:30:41 PM »
Why's he clearly not a billionaire?

Because he's only got £900,000,000.*

*Birmingham Post Rich List

$

No, GBP. Saying that, they've listed him this year at £1bn so maybe for once Ads is right.
The Meaning Evil this week says he's only worth £990m so Ads could be back to his usual form.

What I will say is I'm still struggling to see or find any evidence to back up his wealth.
And you won’t, there is no disclosure requirement in China, I find it hard to understand that someone with the resources of a Billionare would allow his most High Profile business to have a winding up petition slapped on it by the UK Government.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 05:37:14 PM by ChicagoLion »

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #841 on: June 15, 2018, 05:32:40 PM »
Why's he clearly not a billionaire?

Because he's only got £900,000,000.*

*Birmingham Post Rich List

$

No, GBP. Saying that, they've listed him this year at £1bn so maybe for once Ads is right.
The Meaning Evil this week says he's only worth £990m so Ads could be back to his usual form.

What I will say is I'm still struggling to see or find any evidence to back up his wealth.

There was no currency defined in the original comments. He is a billionaire somewhere, even it is in yuan (God help us if it is).

Fear not, I'm a multi-billionaire* and can throw a few quid at the club should Xia fall short.

* in Venezuela

Offline stuart445

« Reply #842 on: June 15, 2018, 06:34:51 PM »
An interesting snippet from Daniel Ivery on SHA

"Meanwhile, In China...

Tony Xia has finally relinquished control of one of his listed companies, Recon Cable - and they've almost gone bust.

[finance.sina.com.cn]

House of cards falling apart... "

As the saying goes, If you want to know what's going on at Aston Villa ask a Birmingham City fan.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #843 on: June 15, 2018, 06:40:57 PM »
Love that.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #844 on: June 15, 2018, 08:45:55 PM »
The days of newspapers is over.  Radio and television is not far behind.  This is where opinion is formed, evaluated and acted upon, the social media.   I am a complete museum piece but even I can find out what is really happening with this thing I have between my legs.

Stop sniggering at the back.  I mean my tablet.  My Gary Abblett.

I thought you were describing a dongle.

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #845 on: June 15, 2018, 10:23:30 PM »
The days of newspapers is over.  Radio and television is not far behind.  This is where opinion is formed, evaluated and acted upon, the social media.   I am a complete museum piece but even I can find out what is really happening with this thing I have between my legs.

Stop sniggering at the back.  I mean my tablet.  My Gary Abblett.

I thought you were describing a dongle.

Brian is probably right but all the old twats wandering out of my local Lincolnshire village shop clutching their Daily Mails seem to have honoured the tabloid with a final devoted hurrah. Gary Ablett, a poor substitute.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #846 on: June 16, 2018, 09:30:52 AM »
Tone is issuing new shares, right? Can we buy them, or is the idea that he buys them all?

I want Villa shares again.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #847 on: June 16, 2018, 09:31:42 AM »
I'd have thought the daily papers still sell. Radio and TV will be around for a long time yet.

I'm surprised people still buy the likes of the Meaning Evil and Express and Star though.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #848 on: June 16, 2018, 09:36:08 AM »
since subscribing to Netflix, Amazon and Now TV, whilst ditching Sky, I'm still quids up , have great viewing whenever I want and  seldom watch BBC or ITV now. Which is an added bonus, even though I have to pay for it - the BBC that is

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #849 on: June 16, 2018, 09:38:58 AM »
I'd have thought the daily papers still sell. Radio and TV will be around for a long time yet.

I'm surprised people still buy the likes of the Meaning Evil and Express and Star though.

National papers still sell because, I think, people like artefacts. See the re-emergence of double-sleeved vinyl albums for example, or the increase in physical book sales.

With TV, however, it's on its way out. Younger members of my family don't watch tv like we did growing up - all sat around on a Sunday night watching Quantum Leap or something. They consume tv through their laptops/phones/tablets using on demand systems like Netflix, iplayer, Prime, and so on. The only time people across generations gather to watch the telly now is when there are sporting events on.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #850 on: June 16, 2018, 09:53:58 AM »

National papers still sell because, I think, people like artefacts. See the re-emergence of double-sleeved vinyl albums for example, or the increase in physical book sales.

With TV, however, it's on its way out. Younger members of my family don't watch tv like we did growing up - all sat around on a Sunday night watching Quantum Leap or something. They consume tv through their laptops/phones/tablets using on demand systems like Netflix, iplayer, Prime, and so on. The only time people across generations gather to watch the telly now is when there are sporting events on.

the problem is the kids today arnt watching enough telly

my kids spend so much time gaming and on you tube or whatever that I have to shout
 ‘isn’t it about time you watched a tv programme’

They don’t know ther born

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #851 on: June 16, 2018, 10:18:45 AM »
Sky Sports' Johnny Phillips: Two years on, just who is Tony Xia?

Johnny Phillips4 hours ago

Dr Tony Xia
Who is Dr Tony Xia?

There are plenty of known and assumed details about the man at the helm of this great club, but there are just as many, if not more, unknowns. Supporters are no wiser today about the man who owns Villa than they were when he purchased the club two summers ago.

Put simply, there is no way of verifying Dr Xia’s true worth or his intentions. Back in the summer of 2016 he was famously asked whether or not he was a dollar billionaire.

“I think it’s rather more than that,” was the confident reply.

Yet somehow Dr Xia had gone completely under the radar in his home country, to the extent that nobody in the Chinese business media knew who he was. It is virtually impossible for British journalists to dig into that opaque world, but even the country’s own media have struggled.

Last week SupChina, a leading Chinese business analysis website, reported that Xia has been associated with three main companies – the Shanghai-listed Lotus, which manufactures food supplement MSG, Teamax, a smart city planning and construction firm, and cable manufacturer Recon.

“Lotus has been losing money consistently for the past 15 years, with those in charge blaming old equipment and too many employees,” they reported.

“Xia sold his 18.8 per cent holding in Recon earlier this year, shortly before the stock went into freefall losing more than half its value in a number of weeks. The current boss is listed as Xia Jianjun, rumoured to be his brother, not Tony himself.

“As for Teamax, Xia said he sold it for hundreds of millions of dollars prior to buying Aston Villa in May 2016. In true China fashion, however, it’s virtually impossible to check who Xia really is and how many companies he effectively controls.”

Getting beyond such a basic analysis is difficult.

Those that suggest Dr Xia’s main problem is getting money out of the country are ignoring the fact that capital controls in China have been loosened, not tightened, in recent months. Again, SupChina confirmed this.

“Foreign exchange reserves have been increasing, so the People’s Bank of China has allowed more money to flow outside the country,” they said.

Communication is hugely important at times such as this. Dr Xia has engaged supporters via Twitter throughout his tenure.

Xia has had a big impact since coming in as owner, but promotion has eluded him and Villa.That has seen the likes of Roberto Di Matteo and Keith Wyness leave the club under the Chinese boss.
The merits of club owners using this platform can be debated, but it at least maintained a line of communication, even if most were no wiser about the man doing the tweeting. Twitter is no place to be informing fans of what is going on now, though, a more substantial presence is required.

So what are fans to make of reports that Tuesday’s meeting with senior members of the board, including chief commercial officer Luke Organ and executive assistant Rongtian He, was held via a conference call with Dr Xia?

What message does that send out, that these incredibly important talks are only worthy of a conference call?

Villa supporters have had a torrid few years, but it should never have come to this. When Dr Xia strode out across the pitch to greet the fans ahead of the Championship clash with Rotherham in August 2016 he must have realised how fortunate he was to be here.

After a hopeless attempt to avoid relegation from the Premier League that should have been enough to make even the most ardent supporter think twice about putting any more money into the club’s coffers, the fans still turned out in numbers. Well over 30,000 were prepared to give the team another chance. Against Rotherham.

Before a ball was kicked, the team was cheered to the rafters and the atmosphere inside the ground was fantastic that afternoon. Dr Xia got a rapturous reception when he took to the pitch beforehand.

The players responded too, with a superb performance that showed there was enough in the ranks, even back then, to mount a genuine promotion challenge.

Despite the last years of Randy Lerner’s ownership and the relegation, the club were still in relative good health. There was the opportunity to build on the solid foundations of a great stadium, fantastic training ground, Premier League parachute payments and a huge and loyal support. To gamble the whole future on an all-or-nothing return to the Premier League this season did not make sense. It was kid in a sweet shop stuff.

It is not too late, though. After everything that has gone on, Dr Xia still has time to turn all this around and come out on top.

Can this be the time that supporters finally get to discover who the man at the helm really is?

The EFL have met with the club to thrash out a way forward. Here is the opportunity for transparency and progress. This is not just about a missed tax payment or a one-off cash flow problem.

Supporters are concerned about the fabric of the club’s existence; how it is being run and where it is being run from.

As each day goes by fans are left wondering what bombshell they will be hit with next.

It doesn’t have to be this way and they deserve so much better. Dr Xia has one more chance to show his true colours.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #852 on: June 16, 2018, 10:25:07 AM »
What is taking the place of mass audience newspapers and mass audience TV channels is personal connection to events through mobile electronic devices.  On this forum alone there are dozens of sources of information to access as a faster and reliable alternative to books, papers or television programmes.  My views, for example about Brexit have been shaped far more by H and V Off Topic than by mass media.  Everything is becoming more personal. 

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #853 on: June 16, 2018, 10:45:29 AM »
Newspapers still sell because they don't have a battery and you don't have to be connected to the internet to use them. They also have no glare and less intrusive adverts. I don't buy them often but if I do it tends to be the Independant or Times, in which I don't detect a clear political stance as this gets on my tits, a bit like some of the posts on here. And the tabloids that just talk about reality TV, I wouldn't wipe my arse on.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 10:47:09 AM by Clark W Griswold »

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #854 on: June 16, 2018, 11:24:26 AM »
I still like reading a quality newspaper but modern technology renders them yesterdays news.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal