collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tony’s Statement.  (Read 320737 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Tony’s Statement.
« Reply #720 on: June 11, 2018, 09:08:46 PM »
I think a statement telling us that they're thinking of the children would help.

Let's see what comes out of the wash. Whipping yourself into a frenzy doesn't help.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #721 on: June 11, 2018, 09:14:23 PM »
Agenda for tomorrow

Item 1 - 2018-19 Budgets - 5 minutes.

That long?

Yes to allow for the delays from Beijing and Tony’s silences.

Online berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #722 on: June 11, 2018, 10:54:53 PM »
I still like and trust Dr Tony.
And I'm just waiting to see where we go.

If I'm upset about anyone (,barring SuperRoss) it's Steve Bruce so I personally hope he goes quickly and we rebuild in a more long-term fashion.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #723 on: June 11, 2018, 11:05:07 PM »

If I'm upset about anyone (,barring SuperRoss) it's Steve Bruce so I personally hope he goes quickly and we rebuild in a more long-term fashion.
Dr?

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #724 on: June 11, 2018, 11:20:54 PM »
Agenda for tomorrow

Item 1 - 2018-19 Budgets - 5 minutes.

Item 2 - Any other business?

Offline Richie

« Reply #725 on: June 11, 2018, 11:25:15 PM »
You trust the bloke who’s put the whole future of the club at risk ? I don’t and never will again. Our only hope is there might be a buyer out there who actually has a business brain and the financially clout required

Offline supertom

« Reply #726 on: June 12, 2018, 08:13:24 AM »
Deep down we all must have expected this. We've lived through it under Lerner. Living beyond our means. Reckless spending, which then came back to haunt us. It's only by the grace of McGrath that Lerner didn't ruin us, and had we gone down sooner and he hadn't found a buyer, he'd have got us to this point too.

Tony's come in and done exactly the same thing and if anything, with even more reckless abandon and even less understanding of running a football club. We all buy into the vision. We get caught up in the spending sprees, the excitement of spending like we have an endless pot of cash. We questionned signing people like Curtis Davies for 10 mill, Coker for 8, during the Lerner years. I don't think we've ever spent as ludicrously as we did in the Championship, one Championship standard players. In what logical world should Ross McCormack cost as much as he did? Or Hogan?

I got excited. Many of us got excited. But whilst the majority of us probably repressed the reality to the back of our minds (I did), the crippling reality is happening now. We're now seeing just what happens if you spend like this in the Championship, firing out transfer fees and Wages that we realistically would struggle to cover with our running costs in the Premiership never mind the second tier. We gambled big on Champions League football under Lerner. We lost the gamble. We gambled again under Tony. We lost. And our approach to managerial appointments seems to be persistently aimed at short term thinking.

Offline wozwebs

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #727 on: June 12, 2018, 09:42:54 AM »
Deep down we all must have expected this. We've lived through it under Lerner. Living beyond our means. Reckless spending, which then came back to haunt us. It's only by the grace of McGrath that Lerner didn't ruin us, and had we gone down sooner and he hadn't found a buyer, he'd have got us to this point too.

Tony's come in and done exactly the same thing and if anything, with even more reckless abandon and even less understanding of running a football club. We all buy into the vision. We get caught up in the spending sprees, the excitement of spending like we have an endless pot of cash. We questionned signing people like Curtis Davies for 10 mill, Coker for 8, during the Lerner years. I don't think we've ever spent as ludicrously as we did in the Championship, one Championship standard players. In what logical world should Ross McCormack cost as much as he did? Or Hogan?

I got excited. Many of us got excited. But whilst the majority of us probably repressed the reality to the back of our minds (I did), the crippling reality is happening now. We're now seeing just what happens if you spend like this in the Championship, firing out transfer fees and Wages that we realistically would struggle to cover with our running costs in the Premiership never mind the second tier. We gambled big on Champions League football under Lerner. We lost the gamble. We gambled again under Tony. We lost. And our approach to managerial appointments seems to be persistently aimed at short term thinking.

Spot on

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #728 on: June 12, 2018, 09:55:21 AM »

So your saying.. third time lucky!? ;-)

Well summed up!!

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #729 on: June 12, 2018, 10:22:19 AM »

Are you taking the p*ss? 

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #730 on: June 12, 2018, 10:42:10 AM »

Well summed up!!

Got to say....I wasnt expecting this. I thought we spent a lot first year but imagined the value of the squad was going up accordingly. I also presumed the parachute payments and money from sales would more than cover this. I thought the wage bill was going to be reduced with all of the premiership players we let go and the new lads coming from the championship on lower wages. I realised we were spending alot on loan player wages but no biggy - if we dont go up we just send them back. Besides, a few of our decent earners are out on loan to offset a portion of this surely.
Even when FFP starting looming i thought surely we can offload one or two players (not our star players) and balance the books

Im completely naive but I trusted Xia and Wyness and thought for the first time in donkeys years we were being run properly. When the said they had aplan for both eventualities, i believed them.
Now that the sheer level of incompetence and fuckwittery is laid bare for us all to see, I cant believe many people can hand on heart say "i knew this would happen" even with the vocal minority airing doubts over Dr T

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #731 on: June 12, 2018, 10:52:08 AM »
To be fair he did have a plan for both eventualities. We just didn’t realise plan B was ‘flee to China, incur the ire of HMRC, impulsively sack off management and channel your breakdown through social media’.

Offline Stan Drew 01

« Reply #732 on: June 12, 2018, 11:03:10 AM »

Well summed up!!

Got to say....I wasnt expecting this. I thought we spent a lot first year but imagined the value of the squad was going up accordingly. I also presumed the parachute payments and money from sales would more than cover this. I thought the wage bill was going to be reduced with all of the premiership players we let go and the new lads coming from the championship on lower wages. I realised we were spending alot on loan player wages but no biggy - if we dont go up we just send them back. Besides, a few of our decent earners are out on loan to offset a portion of this surely.
Even when FFP starting looming i thought surely we can offload one or two players (not our star players) and balance the books

Im completely naive but I trusted Xia and Wyness and thought for the first time in donkeys years we were being run properly. When the said they had aplan for both eventualities, i believed them.
Now that the sheer level of incompetence and fuckwittery is laid bare for us all to see, I cant believe many people can hand on heart say "i knew this would happen" even with the vocal minority airing doubts over Dr T

I expect the intervention of a bluenose in this debate will be about as welcome as a bucket of cold sick, but here goes.

The one thing you can be absolutely certain about is that come what may and even in the worst case scenario there will always be an Aston Villa FC of some description. Players come and go, managers come and go and even owners come and go. The one constant at any football club is the fans, we have nowhere else to go. So even if the unthinkable was to come about then no later than the day after a new Aston Villa would rise from the ashes, maybe a long way down the ladder but the fans would still be there and behind them. So fuck the owners fuck the managers and fuck the players. KRO

Good (ish) luck

Offline Holte132

« Reply #733 on: June 12, 2018, 11:06:46 AM »
I was talking with my daughter the other day and saying how Dr T has left us in a huge mess. She thought that he shouldn't be blamed because he couldn't have predicted that the Chinese authorities would prevent him from taking money out of the country. Must admit I was at a loss to explain why he is at fault, although I'm convinced he is and have read (I think) every post in this thread. Could someone explain it in nice simple terms for me so that I can pass it on to my daughter? Ta.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #734 on: June 12, 2018, 11:11:24 AM »
The Chinese authorities haven't prevented him from taking his money out of the country.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal