collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tony’s Statement.  (Read 320799 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Tony’s Statement.
« Reply #705 on: June 11, 2018, 02:37:44 PM »
It's still very much a seller's market.  McCormack was in demand because in the previous 5 seasons in the Championship, in four of them he'd scored 18, 28, 17 and 21 goals.  Somebody with a record like that isn't going to accept a worse deal than the one he has.  It would take a collective effort from all teams to do something about salaries.

And there's no incentive for the likes of Man City, Man U, Liverpool, etc to do so and the resulting trickle down is why you have shit like Shelvey on a reported Ł80k a week.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #706 on: June 11, 2018, 02:48:42 PM »
Shelvey, huh, isn't he the best English passer of the ball or something?
More like another former depilated Noocassil, temperamental character, that Ketsbaia chap.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #707 on: June 11, 2018, 02:56:41 PM »
Shelvey, huh, isn't he the best English passer of the ball or something?
More like another former depilated Noocassil, temperamental character, that Ketsbaia chap.

Nah, he's miles down on accuracy (72%) and passes per game but he does get into the top 10 on average number of chances created.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #708 on: June 11, 2018, 04:30:38 PM »
In a way you'd wonder, as Bruce said himself - "the club sells itself", so why the need to offer new players huge increases on what they're on?

Exactly story was Houriane was on 7k at Barnsley and gave him 30k ..I don't remember a bidding war at the time so how did we get conned Into that ..
Lansbury the same 35k ..McCormack who where we competing with to justify the wages ..

Lansbury and Hourihane both had 6 months in their deals so were cheap fee wise and would have been able to command big wages/signing on fees in the Summer.. Similarly you have to pay them atleast a comparable rate to the other players when you’ve got so many on Premier League money.

We have definitely over spent but a lot of it is due to the change in manager and coaching staff every 6 months, players the best manager doesn’t rate on big money and depleting value. Our scouting has been shite since 2006, we rarely find value - Benteke was the last good find I can remember.

Under MON our best players cost big fees at the time.

Before that you’re going back to DOL years and the likes of Laursen and Bouma for a period of good value in the market.

Offline andyaston

« Reply #709 on: June 11, 2018, 04:54:15 PM »
I guess the news about that American buyer on the back page of the Times last week was bullshit?

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #710 on: June 11, 2018, 04:55:19 PM »
In a way you'd wonder, as Bruce said himself - "the club sells itself", so why the need to offer new players huge increases on what they're on?

Exactly story was Houriane was on 7k at Barnsley and gave him 30k ..I don't remember a bidding war at the time so how did we get conned Into that ..
Lansbury the same 35k ..McCormack who where we competing with to justify the wages ..

Lansbury and Hourihane both had 6 months in their deals so were cheap fee wise and would have been able to command big wages/signing on fees in the Summer.. Similarly you have to pay them atleast a comparable rate to the other players when you’ve got so many on Premier League money.

We have definitely over spent but a lot of it is due to the change in manager and coaching staff every 6 months, players the best manager doesn’t rate on big money and depleting value. Our scouting has been shite since 2006, we rarely find value - Benteke was the last good find I can remember.

Before that you’re going back to DOL years and the likes of Laursen and Bouma for a period of good value in the market.

Wooooaaah, steady up there. That's almost like your suggesting that there's value to be had by scouting outside a 125-mile radius. It'll never catch on.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #711 on: June 11, 2018, 05:54:11 PM »
I guess the news about that American buyer on the back page of the Times last week was bullshit?

Xia has no intention of selling up.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #712 on: June 11, 2018, 07:32:30 PM »

Well he needs to do a proper bloody job then.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #713 on: June 11, 2018, 08:12:17 PM »
Agenda for tomorrow

Item 1 - 2018-19 Budgets - 5 minutes.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #714 on: June 11, 2018, 08:28:00 PM »

if that's the case I think we are in serious trouble  - we need experienced administrators who can stabilise the club and to    ensure we have a future - I'm not convinced Xia has the money or know how to get us out the mess he created - I don't care if he doesn't want to lose face - right now he is staring at a massive loss -

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #715 on: June 11, 2018, 08:34:29 PM »
Or maybe the problem is he wasn't hands on enough. Left it all to the "football" people, bought all Wyness' promises about promotion and then was left disappointed when the sure thing didn't materialise. I mean Lerner was asleep at the wheel for most of his reign and if you have no interest in your business it rarely works out well.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #716 on: June 11, 2018, 08:41:35 PM »

Houriane and Lansbury are championship level players there is no club in this league paying them what we  handed out .Even if we went up we would of had 70k plus in wages A week we would of struggled to clear , it was shocking negotiations and scouting

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #717 on: June 11, 2018, 08:45:59 PM »
Agenda for tomorrow

Item 1 - 2018-19 Budgets - 5 minutes.

That long?

Offline The Edge

« Reply #718 on: June 11, 2018, 08:46:38 PM »

Well he needs to do a proper bloody job then.
First thing we need is a statement telling us what the hell is going on and what they intend to do to repair the damage they have done to our 144 year old club. And can they please employ a proper interpreter who can make sure it's grammatically correct and we can make bloody sense of it!

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #719 on: June 11, 2018, 08:52:46 PM »
If he's not selling up, but is selling Chester, Grealish and Kodjia, we are fucked. Utterly fucked. The man needs to just sell. Save face my arse, he's an utter con.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal