collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tony’s Statement.  (Read 320776 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: Tony’s Statement.
« Reply #675 on: June 10, 2018, 01:16:10 PM »
I think people need to get realistic on who we can sell really. There's not a hope in hell we can sell the likes of richards. He's on massive wages and even if it made sense to pay up the final year of his contract, we may not have the cash flow to do it.

Not a fucking hope in hell of finding a club that can afford them

McCormack
Hogan
Taylor
Lansbury

I agree that we are almost certainly going to have to swallow Richards being at the club for another season.  Apart from McCormack, I wouldn’t put the others in the same category in terms of attitude, but they are a problem due to their wages.  Paying ridiculous wages to periphery players has been a problem since the O’Neill days and serious questions must be asked about our approach to those discussions with players.  It seems we have been paying massively over the odds in terms of wages for a long time now and it has caused untold problems.

With the previous scoring records of McCormack and Hogan, there might be some interest from clubs to take them on loan and we might be able to offset some of the cost of their wages that way.  Like you, I doubt however that they will be unwilling to depart the gravy train any time soon. 

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #676 on: June 10, 2018, 01:21:08 PM »
Yep.End of the day our wage bill is currently between 35-45m a year if you believe the most pessimistic papers. I reckon its probably about 37m so you have so say either a)Tony has been using the wages bill to siphon off money to a chinese bank account or b) we have 1 or 2 players on 200,000 a week or more likely c) the average is around the 25,000 a week mark.  Now the problem we have is if you're a lansbury on 30k a week (i really hope the fuckwits aren't paying him more than that) then if a club comes in and offers 23k a week to him then over the length of his remaining contact he's losing a cool million to leave.  At 27 if i was lansbury, i'd think twice about leaving.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #677 on: June 10, 2018, 01:38:16 PM »
Yep.End of the day our wage bill is currently between 35-45m a year if you believe the most pessimistic papers. I reckon its probably about 37m so you have so say either a)Tony has been using the wages bill to siphon off money to a chinese bank account or b) we have 1 or 2 players on 200,000 a week or more likely c) the average is around the 25,000 a week mark.  Now the problem we have is if you're a lansbury on 30k a week (i really hope the fuckwits aren't paying him more than that) then if a club comes in and offers 23k a week to him then over the length of his remaining contact he's losing a cool million to leave.  At 27 if i was lansbury, i'd think twice about leaving.

The season 16/17, the club wage bill totalled near as damn it £62m. I don't know why anyone imagines that it would've been a fat lot less for 17/18.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #678 on: June 10, 2018, 01:49:10 PM »

The season 16/17, the club wage bill totalled near as damn it £62m. I don't know why anyone imagines that it would've been a fat lot less for 17/18.

that was including the tax i think. It included all our signings apart from elmo and Whelan and the loans and the likes of Terry and Samba, so there was obviously people we paid with that sum that had left by the time the accounts ended like Baker. Looking at this summer we've lost Terry, Gollini, Gabby, Hutton, Samba, Bunn, Grabban, Snodgrass, Johnstone, Tuenzebe, onamah. On 20k a week on average i make that 10m recovered plus tax. plus i guess gill and some of the other garde signings if they've left as well.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 01:57:46 PM by sickbeggar »

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #679 on: June 10, 2018, 02:40:29 PM »

that was including the tax i think. It included all our signings apart from elmo and Whelan and the loans and the likes of Terry and Samba, so there was obviously people we paid with that sum that had left by the time the accounts ended like Baker. Looking at this summer we've lost Terry, Gollini, Gabby, Hutton, Samba, Bunn, Grabban, Snodgrass, Johnstone, Tuenzebe, onamah. On 20k a week on average i make that 10m recovered plus tax. plus i guess gill and some of the other garde signings if they've left as well.

Some of the what now?

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #680 on: June 10, 2018, 02:41:46 PM »
Who did Garde sign?

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #681 on: June 10, 2018, 02:45:01 PM »
Who did Garde sign?

Literally no one ..we tied to get a keeper in but his permit got rejected other than that the Board seeing that relegation was inevitable gave up

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #682 on: June 10, 2018, 02:46:43 PM »
Who did Garde sign?

Literally no one ..we tied to get a keeper in but his permit got rejected other than that the Board seeing that relegation was inevitable gave up
Thanks, that’s what I thought.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #683 on: June 10, 2018, 02:50:08 PM »
Sorry I meant the likes of Vertout, armavi who left this season.  I know they aren't garde signings but i just associate them with him.  8) Its very murky with these players what actually happened so were they on loan with an agreement to buy or did we say pay their wages or part of their wages in return for the transfer fee at the end?

Offline FranzBiberkopf

« Reply #684 on: June 10, 2018, 04:46:20 PM »
The signing of Samba sums up the profligacy under Bruce for me. It was completely pointless and served us no value whatsoever. MD then you add on the whole "multiple fullbacks and centre midfielders' lunacy; the lot of them should be strung up (Xia, Wyness, Round and Bruce).

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #685 on: June 10, 2018, 05:18:46 PM »
Blimey, bit harsh.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #686 on: June 10, 2018, 05:32:29 PM »
I wouldn’t point to Samba as a profligate signing. It was very much bolstering the squad a bit and I imagine he wasn’t paid an awful lot relatively.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #687 on: June 10, 2018, 07:06:48 PM »
Exactly, I think he was grateful any club took him on due to him being unattached and he knew he would be back-up so he would have had little negotiating power. £10k-£15k a week tops I'd imagine, the latter for the weeks when he did play.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #688 on: June 10, 2018, 07:22:23 PM »
I would have thought he'd have been on a pay as you play type contract too.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #689 on: June 10, 2018, 07:23:47 PM »
I wouldn’t point to Samba as a profligate signing. It was very much bolstering the squad a bit and I imagine he wasn’t paid an awful lot relatively.

I agree.

I would say that the thing the Samba signing does show though is just how unbalanced the squad was.

Five right backs, a large number of central midfielders but we had to resort to a cheap filler signing and a central midfielder as our main back-ups at centre half. That should never have been allowed to happen.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal