collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tony’s Statement.  (Read 320932 times)

Offline Nastylee

Re: Tony’s Statement.
« Reply #660 on: June 10, 2018, 08:57:13 AM »
But selling  the best players may satisfy the FFP ruling but it doesn't solve the weekly/monthly cash flow issues. If we sold Jack for £30m it only improves the balance sheet. We'd still have a monthly tax/wage bill that seems to be the overriding issue.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #661 on: June 10, 2018, 09:00:59 AM »
But selling  the best players may satisfy the FFP ruling but it doesn't solve the weekly/monthly cash flow issues. If we sold Jack for £30m it only improves the balance sheet. We'd still have a monthly tax/wage bill that seems to be the overriding issue.

It gives you the cash to pay the bills for a few more months.  And when Jack, Chester and co leave, it obviously gets their wages off the bill.  We'll still be left with robbers like Richards leading the club dry of course.

The worry when we do sell players (other than it be a total sickener anyway) is that we might do it for less than their true value in order to get all of the cash in up front instead of the usual instalments.  Eg selling him to Spurs for £25m cash all in one go, rather than say £30m payable in instalments.

Offline frank black

« Reply #662 on: June 10, 2018, 09:38:14 AM »
Imagine how the Italian or South American Ultras would react to players like McCormack and Richards stinking out their clubs. I would have expected them to have found alternative clubs by now.

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #663 on: June 10, 2018, 09:43:07 AM »
Imagine how the Italian or South American Ultras would react to players like McCormack and Richards stinking out their clubs. I would have expected them to have found alternative clubs by now.

Frank, I think you know what you need to do.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #664 on: June 10, 2018, 09:53:40 AM »
i'm not sure i believe that Telegraph article anyway. The wage bill looks too big to me and works out at about 27k a week per player over 35 players and a good 7 of them are kids!  And it's asking a lot getting 15m off the wage bill. Notwithstanding the difficulty of finding clubs for about 12 players, could we still field a side?

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #665 on: June 10, 2018, 11:27:05 AM »
I'd be tempted to hold fire on any quick sales. Let's just say by Xmas we're in the hunt. If we get promoted we may get hit by FFP restrictions but the likelihood is a fine at worse. As we've seen in other cases it's not a business threatening amount. The league next year does not look that strong. IF we need to sell we have January as a back up if the league form gives us no hope. I'd be more foccused at trying to shift the big earners than selling our best players for under market value.

Yep, trying to offload some of the bigger earners who contribute very little has to be the priority.  We simply can’t have four right backs at the club, so one or two of those can be shifted.  Lansbury needs to be shifted and I would also be looking to shift Hogan as I just don’t see it working out for him, and RHM and Davis need to be given a chance.  Finally, wasters-in-chief Richards and McCormack really need to go, but as we have seen before, it is all easier said than done.

As it stands, if we could trim the squad a bit we’d probably be left with senior squad of something like:

GK - Steer, Sarkic, Bunn (or new keeper)
RB - De Laet / Elmohamady, Bree, Hutton (to cover left back)
CB - Chester, Elphick, Suliman
LB - Taylor
DM - Whelan, Jedinak (to cover centre half), Lyden
AM - Grealish, Hourihane, Bjarnason
WM - Adomah, Green, O’Hare
ST - Kodjia (cover out wide), Davis, RHM

That’s a squad of 23 and there are a couple of other younger players such as Clark and Doyle-Hayes who could be in contention.  I think the key would be to perhaps move on the likes of Elphick and Taylor and bring in better players who are on less money. 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 11:52:39 AM by tomd2103 »

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #666 on: June 10, 2018, 12:02:22 PM »
I think people need to get realistic on who we can sell really. There's not a hope in hell we can sell the likes of richards. He's on massive wages and even if it made sense to pay up the final year of his contract, we may not have the cash flow to do it. I'd love to see all the crap being sold but it never happens.

I see the possible sales as follows.

Players we can  sell who would make a profit and clubs could afford their wages

Grealish
Adomah
Chester
Kodjia
Hourihane
Elmo

Players we could offload at a small loss or maybe persuade to leave because other clubs would offer a longer contract, if not the wages

Jedinak
Whelan
Bjarnason
Elphick
Gardner
De Laet

Not a fucking hope in hell of finding a club that can afford them

Richards
McCormack
Hogan
Taylor
Lansbury

Add to that the youth players who would probably be attractive sell as far as FFP goes.

If the firesale is on, then we're gonna have a shitty squad by the end of it.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 12:09:31 PM by sickbeggar »

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #667 on: June 10, 2018, 12:10:46 PM »
I think clubs would take Lansbury, Hogan and Taylor off our hands. They've still got a few years left him them at this level. Wasn't there another club interested in Lansbury before he came here?

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #668 on: June 10, 2018, 12:15:05 PM »
I think clubs would take Lansbury, Hogan and Taylor off our hands. They've still got a few years left him them at this level. Wasn't there another club interested in Lansbury before he came here?

well if the wages are correct of 30-40k  week would you go to say Norwich for 15k if you were any of them? Trouble is the clubs who would want them, can't afford them.

Online Clampy

« Reply #669 on: June 10, 2018, 12:17:43 PM »

well if the wages are correct of 30-40k  week would you go to say Norwich for 15k if you were any of them? Trouble is the clubs who would want them, can't afford them.

That's if the wages are correct. You might get a Stoke or Swansea possibly willing to pay it. I can imagine Taylor being on that because he came from a Premier League club. Not sure about Lansbury or Hogan but who knows?

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #670 on: June 10, 2018, 12:24:40 PM »

That's if the wages are correct. You might get a Stoke or Swansea possibly willing to pay it. I can imagine Taylor being on that because he came from a Premier League club. Not sure about Lansbury or Hogan but who knows?

well that's it really. A club like stoke and swansea who have the parachute payments are probably the only options unless some PL club fancies them. The other alternative is to knock off money from the fee and use that to subsidize their wages if thats possible.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #671 on: June 10, 2018, 12:47:25 PM »

There was a quote the other day that Hogan's wages are "eye-watering".  I'd be surprised if he was on less than £50K a week.  People who go for £10m+ are rarely on less than that, and there were rumours that West Ham were sniffing around.  I think we've got very little chance of getting rid of him personally.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #672 on: June 10, 2018, 12:52:43 PM »

There was a quote the other day that Hogan's wages are "eye-watering".  I'd be surprised if he was on less than £50K a week.  People who go for £10m+ are rarely on less than that, and there were rumours that West Ham were sniffing around.  I think we've got very little chance of getting rid of him personally.

If correct, that would have been absolute madness to pay that as he probably would have been on about £10-15k at Brentford.  People wonder how we have got to where we are and panic stands out as our modus operandi over the last few seasons.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #673 on: June 10, 2018, 12:53:17 PM »

If that's true, Wyness should be sacked for that alone.

Offline Meanwood Villa

« Reply #674 on: June 10, 2018, 12:55:46 PM »
I can't  help thinking that in the new world of 2018/19 players like Hogan and Lansbury will end up being the better players in our squad and possibly the difference between staying up or not. Not a pleasant state of affairs but at least we might get some use out of them.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal