collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tony’s Statement.  (Read 320778 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Tony’s Statement.
« Reply #285 on: June 05, 2018, 10:07:04 AM »
If they’d said something meaningful in the 8 days since Wembley those type of articles would have 0% credence - the radio silence makes you wonder if there is something in it, the source makes you believe there isn’t....so yes, the club needs leadership, it pays leaders very good salaries to lead so they need to manage the message.

Out of interest, what do you mean by 'radio silence'?

I don’t regard Dr T’s statement as anything of substance because it said nothing so for me radio silence is not trying to control the speculation, zero word from chief exec who is paid to lead.

That's a bit like the times when a question was asked and Doug/Mark Ansell, then Faulkner/Krulak/Fox gave the wrong answer so "They don't answer our questions". There's been one risible story about a takeover that was denied and nothing else has happened to comment on. 

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #286 on: June 05, 2018, 10:42:23 AM »
If they’d said something meaningful in the 8 days since Wembley those type of articles would have 0% credence - the radio silence makes you wonder if there is something in it, the source makes you believe there isn’t....so yes, the club needs leadership, it pays leaders very good salaries to lead so they need to manage the message.

I don’t regard Dr T’s statement as anything of substance because it said nothing so for me radio silence is not trying to control the speculation, zero word from chief exec who is paid to lead.

That's a bit like the times when a question was asked and Doug/Mark Ansell, then Faulkner/Krulak/Fox gave the wrong answer so "They don't answer our questions". There's been one risible story about a takeover that was denied and nothing else has happened to comment on.

That is true :-)

I guess what I hoped to see was the club come out on the front foot, clarify Bruce’s position either way quickly, address FFP & reassure that it wouldn’t be a fire sale of the couple of players who have enjoyed watching this season.

In hindsight maybe a touch unrealistic :-)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #287 on: June 05, 2018, 10:45:36 AM »
They'd probably say that you can't be too specific because events can be unpredictable.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #288 on: June 05, 2018, 11:09:17 AM »
Sure they would & there are a lot of unknowns between now and when season kicks off / transfer window closes and then the loan window closes - think I’m just getting impatient.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #289 on: June 05, 2018, 11:43:28 AM »
And why do they need to clarify Bruce's position?

He's our manager until advised otherwise.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #290 on: June 05, 2018, 12:26:09 PM »

isn’t that the case for every manager ever at every club for all times
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 02:00:38 PM by john e »

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #291 on: June 05, 2018, 02:30:05 PM »

isn’t that the case for every manager ever at every club for all times

John I think you just opened a wormhole with that sentence

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #292 on: June 05, 2018, 02:43:13 PM »
Does anyone know if FFP also controls investment in infrastructure? Because if it doesn't I think now would be the time to show us fans and the rest of the world that Aston Villa far from being a fading has been of a club is still intent on being a major force in football. Show us the plans for the stadium. We need SOMETHING to get excited about. Show us you mean business Tony & Recon. Tell the fans they need to back the club now more than ever and get the ball rolling.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #293 on: June 05, 2018, 02:53:52 PM »
Does anyone know if FFP also controls investment in infrastructure? Because if it doesn't I think now would be the time to show us fans and the rest of the world that Aston Villa far from being a fading has been of a club is still intent on being a major force in football. Show us the plans for the stadium. We need SOMETHING to get excited about. Show us you mean business Tony & Recon. Tell the fans they need to back the club now more than ever and get the ball rolling.

I can only speak for myself, but what point would there be in showing us plans for a new stand if it's only ever going to happen if we ever get promoted ?

I think we have far more pressing issues to deal with personally

Online Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #294 on: June 05, 2018, 02:59:30 PM »
Because we need something to get excited about and the fans want to see it.

It's only some renders?

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #295 on: June 05, 2018, 03:08:53 PM »

That is true :-)

I guess what I hoped to see was the club come out on the front foot, clarify Bruce’s position either way quickly, address FFP & reassure that it wouldn’t be a fire sale of the couple of players who have enjoyed watching this season.

In hindsight maybe a touch unrealistic :-)

No, it's what I was hoping for too.

We were hurting after the Play Off final, so if ever there was a time to galvanise the support base it was then.

Instead, Dr Ghost was straight into a spiel about operating as a sustainable football club. Well yes, absolutely. But that will be far easier in the top flight than dicking about the Championship (or lower) as per Leeds, Wednesday etc for the next few years.

Common sense tells you that we wouldn't be spending anywhere near what we did overall in 2016/17 or even last year.  But perception is everything. That statement suggests the period of us actively trying to get out of this division is over and we're back in Lerner sell to buy territory (only worse). If we are rethinking the last ten years there were plenty of lessons to learn from that cack-handed approach. It wasn't a particularly clever strategy back then, I don't see why Ver 2.0 will be a whole pile better.  Even if you do need to sell to buy, you don't broadcast that to the world and his wife. Driving down the value of the few saleable assets you may possess and simultaneously telling the world you are done as a competitive force.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #296 on: June 05, 2018, 03:09:22 PM »
Because we need something to get excited about and the fans want to see it.

I don't know anyone that's aching to see it. I haven't even given it a second thought myself. It's just a stand. Seeing some elaborate plans for something we probably wont see for another five years at least wont give me a spring in the step i'm sure. Give the North Stand a jet wash by all means though.

As a supporter, i already know i need to be behind the club more than ever right now, and i'm just counting down the days til kick off so I can get back down Villa Park and get behind whatever side is on the pitch come August.

No drawings of new stands and dreams of increased capacity that we'll never need will make any difference in all honesty.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #297 on: June 05, 2018, 03:14:44 PM »
No FFP does not control investment on infrastructure.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #298 on: June 05, 2018, 03:16:24 PM »
Absolutely KG.  Could not agree more.  The dog that does not bark in the night.  Silences can often tell you more than the most lengthy and professionally crafted press releases can.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #299 on: June 05, 2018, 04:41:53 PM »
We’re in a mess

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal