collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Abbeyfealeavfc
[Today at 08:15:22 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Abbeyfealeavfc
[Today at 08:15:22 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by algy
[Today at 08:02:52 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:59:21 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clive W
[Today at 07:54:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 07:52:47 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tony’s Statement.  (Read 320858 times)

Offline AsTallAsLions

Re: Tony’s Statement.
« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2018, 11:08:07 AM »
There's legitimate cause to be concerned but personally I can see the opportunity in all this too. I would love to see a one-for-one squad where essentially every first teamer has an apprentice in their natural position that they're responsible for bringing along. Think the likes of Chester, Hutton, Jedinak would be great mentors and hopefully will have learned spades from Terry this season on how to encourage and improve those around them through leading by example. Might be less effective when you come to the likes of Bjarni and Kodjia who are probably too prone to a sulk to be great mentors, but in principle I think this is the direction we need to go in.

Get the likes of Sarkic, Clark, O'Hare, Green, Hepburn-Murphy involved in the first team set-up, and make sure they're looking up to the right players, in addition to getting the coaching right.

Offline Little Class

« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2018, 11:12:23 AM »
It is a very carefully worded statement.  It says people not players so that means the manager / backroom staff or even him, not just players.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2018, 11:19:22 AM »
O'Hare
Green
Davies
RHM

All young and know each other's game.  There's pace there too.  As much as we'll miss Snodgrass's guile he will be another year older, a bit slower and less stamina. Keep Hutton for another year if we can. Make Chester our leader and get a decent big lad next to him the lad at Bristol City looked half decent.

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019
« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2018, 12:25:32 PM »
Exactly what does "smothered by FFP" mean?

We hear all of the talk about it but has there ever been a document that states exactly what the club can and cannot do now? For example, a fixed figure for transfer funds, the required value of wages to be cut? etc?

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #109 on: May 31, 2018, 12:31:15 PM »
According to Talk Shite's 'experts' this morning, we're going to do a Sunderland.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #110 on: May 31, 2018, 12:34:57 PM »
According to Talk Shite's 'experts' this morning, we're going to do a Sunderland.

We already haven't.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #111 on: May 31, 2018, 12:36:25 PM »
I don't know where to begin with that one.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2018, 01:22:30 PM »

Meanwhile the bookies still have us as faves to go up ...Talkshite are muppets

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #113 on: May 31, 2018, 01:32:39 PM »
Steer

Bree
Chester
Elphick
Taylor

Jedinak

Green
Grealish
Hourihane
Albert

Kodjia

Is probably the best side we can put out now. Left hand side of defence is not as I would like, but that's a side easily capable of top 6, so I do not agree we've been left with nothing or starting from scratch. I think there's a great deal of anxiety exaggerating the situation into the chaos of not knowing for sure quite what will happen this summer.

I get that you're trying to be positive but there's no way we'll start the season with that team.

All that's gone from that team are the loanees aren't they?  That will gain us £10m of the £40-£50m we need to find.  So we're going to  have to sell some players to bridge the gap or run the risk that even if we win the league the EFL might dock us enough points to stop us going up.

Offline Ads

« Reply #114 on: May 31, 2018, 01:56:17 PM »
I said that's the best possible team we can put out there now. People are chucking figures around and you've mentioned £40-50m, I have not seen that anywhere else.

The two I have seen are £39 million if everything hypothetically stayed the same, and we all know many things already have or imminently will and £20 million being closer to it from Chelts.

We already are selling players and Gollini is off, Elphick is off, it seems De Laet is off and I would expect Lansbury and Thor to follow suit too. I feel positive because I think everything is an opportunity to succeed.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #115 on: May 31, 2018, 02:00:08 PM »
I said that's the best possible team we can put out there now. People are chucking figures around and you've mentioned £40-50m, I have not seen that anywhere else.

The two I have seen are £39 million if everything hypothetically stayed the same, and we all know many things already have or imminently will and £20 million being closer to it from Chelts.

We already are selling players and Gollini is off, Elphick is off, it seems De Laet is off and I would expect Lansbury and Thor to follow suit too. I feel positive because I think everything is an opportunity to succeed.

There's a very detailed review on another Villa website which someone linked to on here that showed we needed £40m on top of the loan players wages dropping off the bill.

Offline Ads

« Reply #116 on: May 31, 2018, 02:02:47 PM »
I've not seen that, if you're referring to the 7500 Steps to the Holte Blog on the matter from earlier in the year. Swiss Ramble definitely stated £39 million if nothing changed, which it now has to the tune of £12 million one way and commercial revenue the other way.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #117 on: May 31, 2018, 02:06:23 PM »
Steer

Bree
Chester
Elphick
Taylor

Jedinak

Green
Grealish
Hourihane
Albert

Kodjia

Is probably the best side we can put out now. Left hand side of defence is not as I would like, but that's a side easily capable of top 6, so I do not agree we've been left with nothing or starting from scratch. I think there's a great deal of anxiety exaggerating the situation into the chaos of not knowing for sure quite what will happen this summer.

I get that you're trying to be positive but there's no way we'll start the season with that team.

All that's gone from that team are the loanees aren't they?  That will gain us £10m of the £40-£50m we need to find.  So we're going to  have to sell some players to bridge the gap or run the risk that even if we win the league the EFL might dock us enough points to stop us going up.

And Terry, Hutton, Lansbury, Bjarnason, Hogan and Elmo.  Not to mention People like Gil, Gollini, DeLaet, McCormack, Tishbola, etc who have been on loan and may or may not come back (Elphick should be on this list instead of in the team though).

Aside from that no one knows how much we need to find so quoting £40-50m as a definitive figure is a bit pointless, it may be true but it's impossible to verify.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #118 on: May 31, 2018, 03:02:10 PM »
The statement is meant to prepare us for the consequences of not being promoted. But it doesn’t have to be the worst case scenario as becomes very easy to paint. It just states that obvious that a series of difficult decisions will need to take place. Selling players like Jack might would only need to happen if an outrageous bid comes in or comes at the end of trying a number of other things to meet FFP. But I am sure the club have planned for this hoping it would never come to it. How well they have planned versus the reality of it will soon become apparent.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #119 on: May 31, 2018, 03:06:39 PM »
I've probably got more faith in Dt T planning for it than Randy planning for it

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal