collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

Follow us on...

Author Topic: World Cup 2018  (Read 102955 times)

Offline Proposition Joe

Re: World Cup 2018
« Reply #5370 on: July 15, 2018, 06:53:25 PM »
Urgh, four years to go now. And it'll be in bastard Qatar.

No "real" tournament again until Euro 2024: you have this weird multi-country Euro 2020 that's going to feel more like the Champions League, and then the Qatar Winter abomination.

Online olaftab

• GM : 22.04.2019
« Reply #5371 on: July 15, 2018, 06:56:34 PM »
4 years and 4 months😥

Online PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #5372 on: July 15, 2018, 06:58:48 PM »
I wonder if this was the last great World Cup? Qatar just isn't going to the same realistically, and then it goes to 48 nations which is going to lower the quality imo.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #5373 on: July 15, 2018, 07:06:06 PM »
Gutted. A nation of people who basically couldn't care less about football wins the World Cup again.

And the fucking twats sounding their horns have started already
How come you live out there Sam? Work or family?

Both. Don't get me wrong, I love France and French people (I made three of them myself).

But you know all those annoying people watching England down the pub and making like they know all about football all of a sudden? That's basically everyone in France, bar the few dozen people in the country who actually go to a football match occasionally or even watch it on the telly.

Their sport is egg-chasing.
cheers Sam - I wasn't prying - just interested. I've only been to France a few times - Loire Valley mainly. I too love France and the people - I always take as I find and have experienced nothing but positive responses particularly when attempting to converse in schoolboy French !!! Bon apres midi/ Bon soir

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 08.04.2019
« Reply #5374 on: July 15, 2018, 07:48:52 PM »
Yeah I've heard that about France before. Despite PSG become an elite club now due to wealth, Parisians aren't really that fussed about football then you have Monaco and their 5k gates and these are the two top clubs....

Marseille is a proper passionate place about football though although geography means North Africa is an influence on things.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #5375 on: July 15, 2018, 08:32:31 PM »
Gutted. A nation of people who basically couldn't care less about football wins the World Cup again.

And the fucking twats sounding their horns have started already
How come you live out there Sam? Work or family?

Both. Don't get me wrong, I love France and French people (I made three of them myself).

But you know all those annoying people watching England down the pub and making like they know all about football all of a sudden? That's basically everyone in France, bar the few dozen people in the country who actually go to a football match occasionally or even watch it on the telly.

Their sport is egg-chasing.

That really annoys me too. Of all the big European nations France is the one which doesn’t have a strong club football culture.

When I played Sunday league in Paris we had about 35 players and I reckon only5-10of them would attend a game in a season. I knew only 1-2 people who attended regularly. I don’t think that playing at 8.30on a Saturday night helped though.

The French produce wonderful players but there is a much weaker devotion to a club from fans than in England, Germany, Italy....

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 07.01.18
« Reply #5376 on: July 15, 2018, 08:51:10 PM »
I've loved this World Cup. It's almost as if all the tinkering Fifa has been doing for years has come to fruition and players can play and cynical fouling all but eliminated.

Offline john e

• GM : 21.01.2018
« Reply #5377 on: July 15, 2018, 09:47:02 PM »

No "real" tournament again until Euro 2024: you have this weird multi-country Euro 2020 that's going to feel more like the Champions League, and then the Qatar Winter abomination.

Maybe Qatar will surprise us like he Russians have

Online David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #5378 on: July 15, 2018, 11:44:01 PM »
I wonder if this was the last great World Cup? Qatar just isn't going to the same realistically, and then it goes to 48 nations which is going to lower the quality imo.

Fifa are trying to push through the change to 48 teams for Qatar ,Qatar are resisting because a) they dont have enough stadiums b) expanding would mean likely sharing with another ME country and they would lose the prestige of holding it

Offline Pete3206

• GM : 21.01.2017
« Reply #5379 on: July 15, 2018, 11:51:51 PM »
Bloody hell, before this World Cup started it was assumed it would be dogshite, ruined by military trained hooligans. Never trust the media hype.

Qatar and Euro 2020 will be different, but there's nothing to suggest that they won't be decent tournaments. 

Online PeterWithesShin

« Reply #5380 on: July 16, 2018, 01:35:35 AM »
Qatar is going to be crap, a 28 day winter tournament that will screw up 2 seasons of English domestic football. The current thought is that the season 22/23 will start in July and end up finishing in June. Which will leave players involved knackered for the 23/24 August start. And who knows what will happen to the Championship and lower if clubs have players at the World Cup.

Offline cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 17.01.2019
« Reply #5381 on: July 16, 2018, 02:31:45 AM »
There are people actually dying building the stadia. They hate gay people. Human rights there are basically medieval.

On balance, I'd say the fact that moneybags European teams have to rearrange their schedules slightly, having only had TWELVE YEARS to make plans, is pretty low down on my list of concerns about the next World Cup.

Online PeterWithesShin

« Reply #5382 on: July 16, 2018, 02:53:02 AM »
Apart from people were talking about the actual tournament. It's a disgrace that Qatar has the tournament, but that wasn't the point being talked about.

Offline Nev

« Reply #5383 on: July 16, 2018, 10:30:19 AM »
Personal highlights from a great Tournament:

Liking England again, even before they kicked a ball.

Watching Spain 3 Portugal 3 before a party in town and being genuinely enthused.

Watching Mexico beating Germany before David Byrne in town and being even more enthused.

That girl in our pub wearing a “Come On England” tiara, although I wasn’t laughing at the time.

Argentina’s manager.

Drinking the pub dry on a scorching Sunday for England 6 Panama 1.

Cold war Steve on Twitter.

Hearing Germany go out on 5Live driving home from work.

France 4 Argentina 3.

Watching Spain lose on Pens in Menorca amongst a gaggle of hysterical middle aged Spanish women.

England winning on penalties in the most polite football crowd I have ever been part of at our holiday complex.

Danny Baker on Twitter.

Sweden 0 England 2 viewed from the sofa after a break-neck dash from the Airport.

The final being a great game.

And finally, Gareth Southgate. A throwback to the age when managers were smart, polite, measured and intelligent. Channelling the likes of Bobby Robson and our own Sir Graham, he presented himself as one who was privileged to be managing his country. He approached the players as humans first and got his just rewards and proved his emotional intelligence in forgoing any celebration or parade on their return home. I hope this is the start of something for him but the cynic inside me fears that this may be a high watermark in his England career.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #5384 on: July 16, 2018, 06:15:24 PM »
Personal highlights from a great Tournament:

Liking England again, even before they kicked a ball.

Watching Spain 3 Portugal 3 before a party in town and being genuinely enthused.

Watching Mexico beating Germany before David Byrne in town and being even more enthused.

That girl in our pub wearing a “Come On England” tiara, although I wasn’t laughing at the time.

Argentina’s manager.

Drinking the pub dry on a scorching Sunday for England 6 Panama 1.

Cold war Steve on Twitter.

Hearing Germany go out on 5Live driving home from work.

France 4 Argentina 3.

Watching Spain lose on Pens in Menorca amongst a gaggle of hysterical middle aged Spanish women.

England winning on penalties in the most polite football crowd I have ever been part of at our holiday complex.

Danny Baker on Twitter.

Sweden 0 England 2 viewed from the sofa after a break-neck dash from the Airport.

The final being a great game.

And finally, Gareth Southgate. A throwback to the age when managers were smart, polite, measured and intelligent. Channelling the likes of Bobby Robson and our own Sir Graham, he presented himself as one who was privileged to be managing his country. He approached the players as humans first and got his just rewards and proved his emotional intelligence in forgoing any celebration or parade on their return home. I hope this is the start of something for him but the cynic inside me fears that this may be a high watermark in his England career.

My personal highlights were the birth of my grandaughter  and the fact she even waited until it was a World Cup 'rest day' on Friday so 'Gramps' didn't miss a game! ;)