collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

Recent Posts

Re: Tony’s Statement. by Des Little
[Today at 04:44:21 PM]

Re: Tony’s Statement. by Risso
[Today at 04:43:27 PM]

Re: Tony’s Statement. by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 04:32:52 PM]

Re: Tony’s Statement. by Des Little
[Today at 04:25:34 PM]

Re: Tony’s Statement. by Dr Butler
[Today at 04:12:49 PM]

Re: Tony’s Statement. by TheMalandro
[Today at 04:01:32 PM]

Re: Tony’s Statement. by Walmley_Villa
[Today at 03:58:02 PM]

Re: The International Cricket Thread 2018 by PGW
[Today at 03:50:57 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: World Cup 2018  (Read 86494 times)

Offline AV82EC

Re: World Cup 2018
« Reply #5145 on: July 12, 2018, 04:18:33 PM »
Think Southgate needs to work on Plan B, we had nothing other than Plan A. No major tactical changes means you’ll struggle when the pressure comes on. What changes he did make were pretty much straight swaps, Rose for Young, Dier for Henderdon etc.

As others have said the trio behind Kane weren’t creative or effective enough and their was little composure even in the easier games. However it’s good to see us here rather than the utter disgrace we endured 2 years ago.

Oh and Croatia’s best player last night was Perisic, fuck me that lads got an engine on him.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #5146 on: July 12, 2018, 04:38:30 PM »
Croatia did their homework on England. Sussed our from watching previous games that if you pressurise the defence when they’re passing it around to no avail that it will be hoofed by the keeper very quickly. We either had, a defence not comfortable with the ball going forward through the middle or, a defence scared of making a mistake. Probably a bit of both. Croatia had a defence very comfortable on the ball and equally comfortable going forward with it. They were a much better team than England overall. That said, with the chances England had first half the game could have been out of sight. Thought Sterling offered a threat. Kane, not really in it, Young, the odd corner kick aside offered little,Henderson, there has to be better than him, he’s steady and that’s about it. Maguire and Pickford were the overall best performers of the squad.

I think that just about nails it.   The extra pressure of the semi-final, plus an experienced team made them hoof it from the back more than they had in previous games.

Offline jembob

« Reply #5147 on: July 12, 2018, 04:56:36 PM »
Disappointing performance last night that reminded me or the final MON seasons. Team not compact enough and needlessly conceding possession with aimless long balls. Little imagination and no alternative tactics.
Sad really, Croatia are not a particulalrly good team but if we had scraped through last night, the French would have hammered us for playing like that.

Online olaftab

• GM : 22.04.2019
« Reply #5148 on: July 12, 2018, 05:47:31 PM »
I know I'm biased, but I genuinely think that in 2 years Grealish could prove the missing ingredient in this team. There were a number of occasions where England had the ball 25 yards out with the Croatian defence massed ahead of them and I thought 'wow we could really use Jack here.'
I was thinking exactly this standing at the rubbish tip. Jack in Qatar could be the man if he picks the right club and carry on developing as he has done over the last year or so.

Online garyshawsknee

• GM : 28.04.2019
« Reply #5149 on: July 12, 2018, 06:06:51 PM »
I had similar thoughts after the game. We lacked someone to pick a pass in a tight spot or to carry the ball for a while and draw a foul to release the pressure, Jack can be that man.

Offline SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #5150 on: July 12, 2018, 07:21:20 PM »
Another key position is the holding midfielder aka the pivot I believe.  Henderson did far better than I thought he would but he is not ideal.  Much as I dislike the man, at his peak Busquets is the sort of player we need.  I would imagine Southgate might be looking at alternatives in forthcoming games, Lewis Cook, Loftus- Cheek?  But not Dier, not as a sole "pivot" only in a two.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : 24.01.2019
« Reply #5151 on: July 12, 2018, 08:18:47 PM »
What a beautiful photograph.

Offline Hopadop

• GM : 22.01.2019
« Reply #5152 on: July 12, 2018, 08:29:06 PM »
Just touching on what was said earlier, I'm finding all this 'well done England, you've done us proud' a bit bizarre. Like everyone's bought into this narrative of plucky underdogs.

They did ok, but only compared to previous serial under achievers. A football nation like England should routinely be getting to semis, finals and winning trophies. Richest, best supported leagues in the world and there's giddiness about getting to a semi final, before being well beaten by Croatia who seem to have had a better team than us since Yugoslavia broke up. Something badly wrong there.

I say 'us' I'm not much of an England supporter.

Did you see who was in the Croatian team and who they play for?

I didn't suggest they're a bad team. I said they often seem to produce better teams than we do. But that doesn't negate anything I said does it?

We better hope San Marino or Lichtenstein don't start producing some players. Our plucky part -time postmen will never be bringing it home.

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #5153 on: July 12, 2018, 08:58:34 PM »
Looks like we are getting into a very dangerous area here, initiated by the media, don't know if anybody else has picked this up today but it's almost as though we've won the World Cup itself, Southgate seems to be feeding it, heard one guy say today on the radio, football is coming home, in 2022 Qatar, it's madness

We should have found a way in the first half to steal that game, we had the chance, Southgate was saying the squad will develop and be that much better, he's probably right, to a point, but to imagine we are going to be that lucky with the same route to the final as this time and the exclusion along the way of the giants of football is fanciful at best, for a start the Germans will be back and they will want blood, in fact a good bet right now would be on the Germans winning the next World Cup.

He should be playing all this down a little, admitting our weaknesses and errors and suggesting how we are going to attempt to get it right, otherwise this will all end in tears

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #5154 on: July 12, 2018, 10:42:36 PM »
It's amazing how Croatia produce so many good players from such a small population.  4 million is it?  It's not the first time either ,they've had a couple of good sides over the last 20 years or so and some great players like Sukor, Prosinecki, Boban, Boksic et al. 

It does give some perspective to England's "achievement" when a country of 60 million with one of the two or three strongest leagues in the world and probably 10 of 20 richest clubs in the world, ends up as plucky underdogs against Croatia.  Ok it was a young side and they played some good stuff, and it looks like there is a decent supply line coming through, but I do think a bit of "steady on" is applicable among all the hysteria.   As others have said, such progress should be frequent and regular for a country with such advantages, even without a favourable set of fixtures compared to the other side of the draw.  this should be the benchmark, not the exception.

Offline thick_mike

• GM : 12.02.2019
« Reply #5155 on: July 12, 2018, 10:43:26 PM »
Looks like we are getting into a very dangerous area here, initiated by the media, don't know if anybody else has picked this up today but it's almost as though we've won the World Cup itself, Southgate seems to be feeding it, heard one guy say today on the radio, football is coming home, in 2022 Qatar, it's madness

We should have found a way in the first half to steal that game, we had the chance, Southgate was saying the squad will develop and be that much better, he's probably right, to a point, but to imagine we are going to be that lucky with the same route to the final as this time and the exclusion along the way of the giants of football is fanciful at best, for a start the Germans will be back and they will want blood, in fact a good bet right now would be on the Germans winning the next World Cup.

He should be playing all this down a little, admitting our weaknesses and errors and suggesting how we are going to attempt to get it right, otherwise this will all end in tears

Give the bloke a break. He’s worked his bollocks off changing the atmosphere and ethos of the team (remember the animosity towards the team following exits from Siuth Africa and Brazil?). The whole “football’s coming home” thing was meant quite ironically pre-tournament because expectations were so low. We did well and had a following wind. We were ten minutes away from a penalty shoot out toget into the final. He can have a few weeks off and reflect on a job well done...not perfect, but well done.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #5156 on: July 12, 2018, 10:52:37 PM »
It's farcical to criticise Gareth after that showing.
compare the feeling to the last tournament and its a big positive change for me.
Surely progress has been made in the right direction and he's certainly not going to be at the front of any England football domination happening just around the corner.

Certainly this side has its limitations at present, especially if we haven't taken advantage of our early dominance in games but there is at the very least a style of play and a seroiusly impressive record at set pieces.

There is no way that we'll compete against the best yet but the gap between us and them is closing not widening.

Congratulations to Gareth,the staff and players for restoring some pride in the national side again.

Online olaftab

• GM : 22.04.2019
« Reply #5157 on: July 12, 2018, 11:20:04 PM »
OK revival of coming home was good but let’s end it now. No more “it’s coming home” please.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
  • GM : 01.01.2015
« Reply #5158 on: July 12, 2018, 11:27:05 PM »
OK revival of coming home was good but let’s end it now. No more “it’s coming home” please.

There is nothing good about anything connected to Frank Skinner.

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #5159 on: July 12, 2018, 11:36:39 PM »
What that team needs is Gordon Cowans.