collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Our youth team then  (Read 6833 times)

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
Re: Our youth team then
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2018, 11:30:44 AM »
I would say (Always glass half full) that it’s a fantastic chance for some talented and hungry guys now that their pathway to first team opportunity is going to be clearer.
If Bruce remains he’ll have little choice to break from the mantra of experience over youth which in my book gives me hope.
First team opportunities await for so many more than last season and that’s surely got to be a good thing.
These lads faced little or no chance of getting anywhere near matchday squads. That surely will change now.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2018, 12:51:46 PM »
I like the names Indiana Vasilev and Mungo.

Shame about O’Hare as he looks like a real prospect, but a lot of our youngsters look really good and a positive out of us not being promoted, is we’re likely to see them getting more first team appearances.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2018, 04:08:02 PM »
Agreed. Though I think that's a two year job before we see some of these guys regularly playing

Offline SirSteveUK

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2018, 05:21:28 PM »
I like the names Indiana Vasilev and Mungo.

Shame about O’Hare as he looks like a real prospect, but a lot of our youngsters look really good and a positive out of us not being promoted, is we’re likely to see them getting more first team appearances.
I watch Indiana's progress closely - already been in the USA U-16 and U-17 squads (described as a winger, I think)  - mainly due to fact he was born about 20 mile from my house - Savannah, Ga. Not exactly a soccer hotbed - but the St Patrick's Day rugby tournaments are very well known over here.

Only signed 2/3 months ago
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 05:42:50 PM by SirSteveUK »

Offline Smoke

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2018, 05:29:48 PM »
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 05:34:26 PM by Smoke »

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2018, 05:48:16 PM »
Bazeley Graham has been very impressive when I've seen him play. Not much though granted.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2018, 06:00:23 PM »
We need to have a major re-think on the youth team if you believe, like me, they should be getting more playing time. You've got about 10 players there over 20, a lot of youth internationals, and they've managed about 8 appearances for the 1st team between them. Bree and Davis are the other two.  If they're not getting any games at 20 then get rid if the club doesn't think they're good enough but we're not in the premier anymore. give them a go, play them as subs, give them a run in the cups. If they're shit what have we lost? There's a load of 19 year olds to try next 8)

We need to use the loan system much better.

No good complaining about taking other team's promising young players and training them up if we don't do the same with our yoof.

Jack greatly benefited from his year in league one with Notts County and then was involved the next season with our first team squad so that's the logical progression.

O'Hare and Hepburn Murphy would've benefited much more from season long loan in league one than playing youth cup games.

We've had this problem stretching back to MON days when we kept the Fonz warming the bench for a whole season.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2018, 06:04:12 PM »
Unfortunately, as a previous poster has already said, under the present management, hardly any of these players will get anywhere near the bench let alone game time.

If SB remains as our manager he's going to have little choice.

I wouldn't say SB is totally allergic to playing youth, an 18 year old scored the winning penalty when SHA went up in 2002. He gave Jordan Henderson his first starts at Sunderland and gave Kienan Davis run of starts first half of last season.

Given the choice though he'd most likely go for the tried and tested senior pro.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2018, 07:22:37 PM »
We need to have a major re-think on the youth team if you believe, like me, they should be getting more playing time. You've got about 10 players there over 20, a lot of youth internationals, and they've managed about 8 appearances for the 1st team between them. Bree and Davis are the other two.  If they're not getting any games at 20 then get rid if the club doesn't think they're good enough but we're not in the premier anymore. give them a go, play them as subs, give them a run in the cups. If they're shit what have we lost? There's a load of 19 year olds to try next 8)

We need to use the loan system much better.

No good complaining about taking other team's promising young players and training them up if we don't do the same with our yoof.

Jack greatly benefited from his year in league one with Notts County and then was involved the next season with our first team squad so that's the logical progression.

O'Hare and Hepburn Murphy would've benefited much more from season long loan in league one than playing youth cup games.

We've had this problem stretching back to MON days when we kept the Fonz warming the bench for a whole season.

Well i agree to certain extent  but loans aren't going to progress everyone and they need to be done at the right time. You look at Gardner who i suppose you could call Youth team deadwood now. He's probably a decent championship/Div 1 player but when he could have developed into more 5 years ago, at 20 he was farmed out to championship teams and basically frozen out. Now I understand that because at the time we were in the premiership, but now you'd hope they would be given the chance to try even if they fail.

If you take Davis for example, who played a lot of games last season and did ok with the large step-up from the reserves. Now i doubt he's gonna get the same amount this season barring injuries and he needs games ,so you have to make the decision or commitment to play him whenever possible, so cup games, regular sub appearance etc.. I'm not sure a loan deal to a Div1/2 side is going to help apart from confidence. Putting him against defenders who take 2 seconds more to close him down and who mark him worse isn't going to improve him. I'd like him at a smaller championship side if possible, but you have to find that club or manager to take him. That's just Davis though. Another younger less experienced player, could quite rightly benefit from a season in div1/2

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2018, 07:28:11 PM »
Gardner lost two years of his career through injuries. For example he'd have played a fair bit I reckon in 12/13 considering the midfields we were putting out that year but did his cruciate the week before the season started.

Even though he's fallen out of favour Davis is more established with first team. Ones to loan out imo are/were O'Hare. Hepburn Murphy and maybe Mitchell Clark.

Likely we will need all three involved regularly in the 18 next season but for the first two I can't believe they wouldn't have benefited from loan moves instead of hanging around here and occasioningly making the bench.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2018, 07:34:10 PM »
Gardner lost two years of his career through injuries. For example he'd have played a fair bit I reckon in 12/13 considering the midfields we were putting out that year but did his cruciate the week before the season started.

Even though he's fallen out of favour Davis is more established with first team. Ones to loan out imo are/were O'Hare. Hepburn Murphy and maybe Mitchell Clark.

Likely we will need all three involved regularly in the 18 next season but for the first two I can't believe they wouldn't have benefited from loan moves instead of hanging around here and occasioningly making the bench.

well yeah i agree with them 3. They've played a handful of games at this level between them. 30 games in div1 or 2 would undoubtably been more use to them than the youth team.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2018, 09:25:18 PM »
Graham Burke just scored for ROI on his debut.

We had him a few years back.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal