collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 02:36:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Our youth team then  (Read 6804 times)

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
Our youth team then
« on: May 27, 2018, 11:09:51 PM »
As we currently wait to learn about the future of Bruce, and also the financial situation to become clearer next season, I was wondering how many on here would be happy with us going with 5 or 6 youth players replacing the departures this summer?

Bruce didn't really play them and i understood why. Youth players are consistently inconsistent and most experience a drop in form more than once after they initially break through. Bruce took the view to go with experience because of the urgency of going up.  Anyone of a certain age can remember Ugo having a few mares for us before he established himself.
On the other hand, if you don't play them, they don't develop, or leave and develop elsewhere as we've seen with Cahill and Albrighton. The other thing is, if the youth team is not producing any decent players for the 1st team then what is the point?

Now my question is would you take another 1 or 2 seasons in the championship, if that means taking the long view and trying to bring these youth players on or should we just replace the departures with cheap championship standard players and loans that we think can do a job and get us up?

Offline tomd2103

Re: Our youth team then
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 11:44:53 PM »
I’m not sure many people are advocating the younger players are used en masse, but they should be being used (in my opinion of course) to supplement a squad of 18-20 senior pros. 

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 12:07:52 AM »
I think we should have the younger players available to have an impact (bench) at least instead of having people like Lansbury being left out the squad on 35k a week, Samba on 20k, Whelan on 30k etc etc

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 12:41:06 AM »
I think we should have the younger players available to have an impact (bench) at least instead of having people like Lansbury being left out the squad on 35k a week, Samba on 20k, Whelan on 30k etc etc

Agreed and that was the Bruce way, invest in experience.  Unfortunately its not worked and know we'll be in a world of hurt as we'll struggle to shift those wages on.  We've created possibly 4 or 5 new Micah Richards types.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 12:58:54 AM »

Yep, this is where I am.  I don't see the point of having 3-4 senior players for a position.  1-2 and the kids around them.  It's why I didn't want Whelan and Elmo, it's why I didn't see the point of signing Houri, Lansbury and Bjarni in the same window and then adding Onomah, it's why I never wanted us to offer Hutton another contract.  I had the same problem with Fat Ross when he signed as well, it feels too much like buying players because we can and it's easier than giving a shit about the training ground.

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 01:15:33 AM »
Our youth players will get some time next season, if SB is manager I’m sure it’ll be under condition that he gives some first team experience, I would love him to get a tune out McCormack and Richards and for Tony to introduce the Spurs rule no incoming players over 27

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 01:58:48 AM »
Whoever the manager is, the Yoots will feature big time next season. It could make us or break us, but now it is our only option.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 06:13:35 AM »
I'm sure we'll see Green

Think RHM could be an impact sub but maybe better to loan him out first

Think O'Hare and JDH definitely need loans.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 06:48:44 AM »
We have a centre half called Samba who has done well with the kids.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 08:29:26 AM »
No matter how serious the ffp issues, we've got a lot of senior players in the squad who we will find difficult to shift before these youngsters get a chance. Lansbury was only occasionally on the bench. If onomah and grealish go he'll be up the pecking order but someone like JDH will still have a lot in front of them

We can't create a bomb squad again

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 08:33:53 AM »
As we currently wait to learn about the future of Bruce, and also the financial situation to become clearer next season, I was wondering how many on here would be happy with us going with 5 or 6 youth players replacing the departures this summer?

Bruce didn't really play them and i understood why. Youth players are consistently inconsistent and most experience a drop in form more than once after they initially break through. Bruce took the view to go with experience because of the urgency of going up.  Anyone of a certain age can remember Ugo having a few mares for us before he established himself.
On the other hand, if you don't play them, they don't develop, or leave and develop elsewhere as we've seen with Cahill and Albrighton. The other thing is, if the youth team is not producing any decent players for the 1st team then what is the point?

Now my question is would you take another 1 or 2 seasons in the championship, if that means taking the long view and trying to bring these youth players on or should we just replace the departures with cheap championship standard players and loans that we think can do a job and get us up?

100%. Next question.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 08:52:51 AM »
Hepburn-Murphy needs a chance at some point.

Talked about as this brilliant prospect, think I've seen him play five minutes in three years!

Be interested how many more minutes regular match goers have seen him play if we don't count reserve/youth team games.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2018, 09:12:22 AM »
It's inevitable that we'll see more of the kids - apart from anything else, they're now a year older and physically better capable of putting up with the rigours of the game.
With a number of departures, we'll also probably see a punt with 2-3 players from the lower divisions who have shown a spark of talent; no idea who, though.
Along with those that are out of contract, I'd like to see Elmo, Hourihane and Adomah go (and, ideally, Lansbury), to make way for the younger players. We may get a fee for each of them.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 09:21:08 AM »
I think we can file Green in the ‘If only’ category.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 09:25:26 AM »
Hepburn-Murphy needs a chance at some point.

Talked about as this brilliant prospect, think I've seen him play five minutes in three years!

Be interested how many more minutes regular match goers have seen him play if we don't count reserve/youth team games.

I watched him in some of those under 23 games at the end of the season

He was raw and inconsistent. But I thought he looked ready to make an impact at this level. He's extremely quick and has good technique. And he scores goals

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal