collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 12:56:46 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Championship 2018-2019  (Read 132380 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Championship 2018-2019
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2018, 10:25:06 AM »
Interesting to see how he does there. Derby have a decent squad but like us they will have to cutback so might have to sell Vydra.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2018, 10:26:08 AM »
Boro will be in top 2. They'll do everything Cardiff did this year.

I agree the relegated teams don't look hugely threatening particularly West Brom and Swansea. Stoke will be in the mix for top 6.

Bit harsh saying Darren Moore dosen't have a clue considering some of the managers he defeated back end of last season but those games were pressure less free hits for West Brom so completely different scenario in a division where they'll be expected to win games most weeks with a much changed team.

Forrest are dark horses , recently sold so cleared money issues and made a profit in last accounting year I think other than the 3 relegated teams they are the only club who can really spend in the league and Karanka has a recent promotion on his CV

Way I see it Forest ( possibly Boro)  and the 3 relegated sides have cash the rest like us will have to balance books so IF we don't lose too many players I still think top 6 is possible ...

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2018, 10:28:11 AM »
Frank Lampard taking over at Derby is a very interesting move.
He says he's a young manager who knows the needs of the dressing room.
I think that's very true and perhaps people like Bruce are a bit out of touch.

Out of many recent ex premier league  level professionals who have taken up managing over recent years and established named player I think Lampard will do very well.

What's good for Derby is that talk he's also brought in highly rated coach jody Morris from Chelsea who has had a lot of success in developing the young Chelsea players.

Have to say a bit envious about derby's move as villa could have gone for Lampard and somehow kept JT as player coaching role.

Excellent player who I think at this level will do fine.

It's just refreshing to hear him say
“We’ll aim high but we’re also realistic. “I want to be successful and that means promotion.” rather than Bruce say his 'there or thereabouts" and "big league“

Similarly to ourselves the owner has said FFP is very real so they have to be sensible and can't just spend.

Anyway I do see Derby as a rival in 2018/19 season and would find it gauling if they were successful but applaud their foresight if it works.

If it did and didn't work for villa by keeping Bruce or bringing in old names then one thing is we follow the example.

Each club is different but I would have liked villa to have explored Lampard move

Derby are being fined £10mil and are losing £3mil a month , they let Rowlett go as they needed the compo money he will do really well there to get them in the PO's again

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2018, 12:04:23 PM »
Boro will be in top 2. They'll do everything Cardiff did this year.

I agree the relegated teams don't look hugely threatening particularly West Brom and Swansea. Stoke will be in the mix for top 6.

Bit harsh saying Darren Moore dosen't have a clue considering some of the managers he defeated back end of last season but those games were pressure less free hits for West Brom so completely different scenario in a division where they'll be expected to win games most weeks with a much changed team.

Cardiff are the exception rather than the norm; Newcastle, Brighton, Huddersfield, Wolves, Fulham all played possession based passing football, with the Jawdees having some of Rafa's arch pragmatism thrown in as well once they took the lead.

I would be surprised if Pulis can get a side to generate 90 points. He's too fearful and I'm surprised you think otherwise considering you just saw them for 180 minutes.

Plus they'll have their own FFP web closing in on them too.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2018, 12:24:27 PM »
They've still got a year of decent money left so would imagine they'd spend a bit on getting more of Pulis type players.

Bamford scored a shed load in second half of the season (although oddly he was dropped for play offs). Gestede might get to his Blackburn form aswell.

After losing to us on NYE they took 39 points from 21 in second half of the season under him so suggests they could get 80 + points in the manner they did under Karanka two years ago.

They were limited against us as we did the physical stuff better and had more ball carriers in our team. Up in the air if we'll have that ability in our team next season.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2018, 12:38:26 PM »
Tiny is as much a dinosaur as Bruce. I think Boro peaked at No 5.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2018, 12:57:19 PM »
Frank Lampard taking over at Derby is a very interesting move.
He says he's a young manager who knows the needs of the dressing room.
I think that's very true and perhaps people like Bruce are a bit out of touch.

Out of many recent ex premier league  level professionals who have taken up managing over recent years and established named player I think Lampard will do very well.

What's good for Derby is that talk he's also brought in highly rated coach jody Morris from Chelsea who has had a lot of success in developing the young Chelsea players.

Have to say a bit envious about derby's move as villa could have gone for Lampard and somehow kept JT as player coaching role.

Excellent player who I think at this level will do fine.

It's just refreshing to hear him say
“We’ll aim high but we’re also realistic. “I want to be successful and that means promotion.” rather than Bruce say his 'there or thereabouts" and "big league“

Similarly to ourselves the owner has said FFP is very real so they have to be sensible and can't just spend.

Anyway I do see Derby as a rival in 2018/19 season and would find it gauling if they were successful but applaud their foresight if it works.

If it did and didn't work for villa by keeping Bruce or bringing in old names then one thing is we follow the example.

Each club is different but I would have liked villa to have explored Lampard move

Derby are being fined £10mil and are losing £3mil a month , they let Rowlett go as they needed the compo money he will do really well there to get them in the PO's again

Purely a vanity project by Lampard - I thought he was a shoe in at Ipswich so why did he not go there ?

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2018, 01:00:48 PM »
Ipswich have less more than Derby do.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2018, 01:02:59 PM »
Ipswich have less more than Derby do.

That covers all bases!

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2018, 09:02:17 PM »
We still matter! There was a bloke on my job today who heralds from Doncaster, but he's a Wednesday fan. I got all this information from being within earshot of his conversation with someone else, and when asked for his views and hopes for their upcoming season, he replied that, "as long as we finish above United and Villa, I don't care."

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2018, 09:35:59 PM »
Bolton players on strike over unpaid wages. Them and Rotherham should be two relegation spots at least!

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2018, 05:33:12 AM »
We know what happened the last time we lost our spine in one summer. Theres a high chance we'll start this season without Johnstone Terry Chester grealish and Kodjia. Or perhaps with one of them

When we do eventually go up playing a brand of progressive football and driven by several youth products, I suspect Bruce won't be in charge

But for this season his experience could stop us going under.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2018, 01:51:33 PM »
I'm going to say I think we will get the Play Offs again I remain positive even in light of what's happening at our club and impending sales othewrwise there's no point in going to the matches we must keep the faith.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2018, 02:35:05 PM »
I'm going to say I think we will get the Play Offs again I remain positive even in light of what's happening at our club and impending sales othewrwise there's no point in going to the matches we must keep the faith.

Although a little nervous about the future squad - I am with you brother

No hope  = no chance

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2018, 02:46:52 PM »

I admire what you're saying but disagree slightly, as a supporter you go to the matches regardless of what's going on off the pitch because that's what it means to support something through thick and thin. We've been through bad times before, we'll pull through this situation, maybe a bit more battered than ever before, but Aston Villa will survive in one form or other because we'll still be here to attend or, should feet or finances fail us, support as best we can from afar.

I do agree with keep the faith, I lack your optimism about reaching the playoffs this year (or anything close to that), but I'll fly over for games regardless.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal