collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Fulham 1-0 Aston Villa Play Off Final Post Match Thread  (Read 46458 times)

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
Re: Fulham 1-0 Aston Villa Play Off Final Post Match Thread
« Reply #165 on: May 26, 2018, 10:17:23 PM »
I know. What a CRYING shame. Never mind eh?
Spot the Blues intruder.

One of the few silver linings is that we'll get to stuff these embarressing idiots again next season.

Offline avfcpg

• http://www.flashfitness.me
« Reply #166 on: May 26, 2018, 10:18:13 PM »
So predictable...Jedinak should never have started. Just cos it worked vs Boro doesn't mean it will work vs Fulham...Wolves at home followed by QPR and Reading followed by Norwich...he just doesn't learn.
I like him as a bloke, but he has to go. 2 Seasons, awful football, failure and tactically inept...there's absolutely no logical reason for him to stay.
We could likely lose, Grabban, Onomah, Terry, Snodgrass, Johnstone, Axel. Bids could come on for Kodija, Jack and Chester...there's no future for Jedinak, Hutton, Whelan, McCormack, Gabby, Richards, Samba.

It was a huge gamble and it's not paid off....time to rebuild yet again under a progressive manager who can get a tune out of Green, Davis, Hogan, Bree, O'Hare, Lydon, RHM, Jack, Thor, Conor, Kodija, Adomah  and others...there's still a lot of talent there, but it can't be wasted yet again by negative approaches, stifling tactics and no plan B, or C.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #167 on: May 26, 2018, 10:18:21 PM »
While the players are licking their wounds tonight and thinking about what could have been, they should think on this.....
If they hadn’t played like a bunch of ****** against QPR, Bolton, Norwich maybe they wouldn’t have had to go through today.

It’s not just losing today that means we are stuck in this division for another year.

Offline avfcpg

• http://www.flashfitness.me
« Reply #168 on: May 26, 2018, 10:21:51 PM »
While the players are licking their wounds tonight and thinking about what could have been, they should think on this.....
If they hadn’t played like a bunch of c***s against QPR, Bolton, Norwich maybe they wouldn’t have had to go through today.

It’s not just losing today that means we are stuck in this division for another year.

It's not, you are quite right...I'm not sure I totally blame the players for those results though. We've got a big talented squad...it hasn't been utilized correctly at all.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #169 on: May 26, 2018, 10:21:57 PM »
I know. What a CRYING shame. Never mind eh?

Oh man, who has a pic of Francis blarting after those pens?

Also. the blues clown pics please.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #170 on: May 26, 2018, 10:24:22 PM »

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #171 on: May 26, 2018, 10:24:49 PM »
Just back. Haven't read the rest of the thread yet but don't suppose I could add anything that hasn't already been said. Didn't see the point in playing Jedinak against a team that plays football on the floor rather than lumping balls at the defence, but the fact is we just didn't turn up in the first half, and although we played better in the second they still created more chances, and we got what we deserved. Nothing. For all I say about loathing what the Premier League has become, how much more competetive the Championship is, and if a team finishes third after 46 games they deserve to go up rather than face a lottery designed to line the coffers of the suits, I still feel deflated facing the prospect that we are drifting further and further from the top table and it could be some time before we dine there again. This summer is going to be very interesting
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 10:36:15 PM by CJ »

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #172 on: May 26, 2018, 10:27:57 PM »

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #173 on: May 26, 2018, 10:35:40 PM »
Don't know if it's the hope or frustration that kills me. I do know one thing though. If we don't get our act together next season from the word go we could be playing second fiddle to the noses under monk. Now that would fuckin kill me.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #174 on: May 26, 2018, 10:35:57 PM »
What Fulham, and earlier Wolves, have shown is that you don't need a dinosaur manager who "knows the league" to get grind out results to get you promoted.  You can actually coach your team, play some decent football, bring through some young players,  and still get promoted.  The whole Bruce thing was misconceived in my view.  We needed a full top to bottom, grass roots rebuilding job with a long term strategy to develop a house style based on good technique and tactical nouse, bringing through young players playing the Villa way.  With the first team as the flagship.  Bruce is not that kind of manager and never will be. Anyone who thinks he deserves another shot is incredibly blinkered in my view, and far too ready to happy to accept mediocrity.     I'll be glad to see the back of him.

That’s the Villa Engine we keep hearing about.

Which is why Bruce has to go. O’Hare, Green, Davis, RHM nowhere near the squad.  Complete opposite approach to what around and Wyness are pushing.

It is the Villa engine but without the flagship of the first team.  Not much point in building a sound technical basis from the ground up only to have a massive bottleneck at the top of the pyramid where only experienced plodders get a look in and the dynamic youth aren't trusted.  Which is why I fully agree,  Bruce out.

Offline Zouch Villa

• GM : 12.02.2024
« Reply #175 on: May 26, 2018, 10:39:26 PM »

I always thought David Mellor was a Chelsea fan...

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #176 on: May 26, 2018, 10:40:50 PM »
Don't know if it's the hope or frustration that kills me. I do know one thing though. If we don't get our act together next season from the word go we could be playing second fiddle to the noses under monk. Now that would fuckin kill me.

That won't happen, whatever happens their squad will be miles behind ours and their FFP situation is worse.  Granted we'll be needing to cut our cloth but they are truly financially fucked. I'm not sure Monk will hang around that long once he realises the hand he's being dealt.

Offline myf

« Reply #177 on: May 26, 2018, 10:45:11 PM »
Quite a milestone. comfortably beaten by a small team. Another few years in this division with God knows who in control   good night

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #178 on: May 26, 2018, 10:51:32 PM »
No corner kicks, just can't get my head around that one.

We must be the only team in history to play two major finals at Wembley and not have a corner in either game.

Mad against ten men for 20 odd minutes and us hitting endless crosses into the box for about 10 minutes.

Would've fancied Terry/Chester to nick one from a set piece.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #179 on: May 26, 2018, 10:54:55 PM »
Disappointed. The guff in first half replaced by huff puff second. Very frustrating to watch. As there was always the hope at one nil the game would turn.

Why didn't begin first half with more gusto and too cagey I guess ultimately cost us. Grabban isolated no movement off the ball for midfielders in support and Hourihane anon and never playing a forward pass. Snoddy and Albert not supported by players when in possession.

Need a manager who basically gets players moving around and giving the player on the ball 2 options to pass too. Simple really.

There was a piece of play in first half when JT carried ball forward but had no option at all.

Was a gross out first half and taylor ref didn't help things

Jack grealish is a hero and was outstanding in effort and
I feel most for him. The run where he did outrageous skill and nearly scored would have been one of the best solo goals to be seen in the championship ever.

He seems not to have ultimate power for his shooting but good things happen with him.

SJ in goal super annoying how he veers goalkicks towards snoddy and that part of pitch everytime.
His kicking is pretty limited and never like the ball being passed back.

I upset like all of us what happened and disappointed that another season of championship football follows.

Deflating really as it make or break in many ways. To move on Bruce and coaching team have to be shifted.

Dean Smith mentioned on here and respect to Bruce and seemingly decent guy but would give Smith the gig for both his villa passion and how he feels game should be played

Chris wilder at Sheffield United is also a fan of Sheffield United and knows what it means. They were a refreshing watch and Smith could have same impact with the villa. Progressive in football and passionate.

Today the lack of attacking play and goal threat ultimate cost us.

Thanks to the players and to the support there at Wembley today. Would have liked more support but I think the fans wanted something to shout about and like many clubs especially in England getting behind and encouraging only comes if team is displaying some attacking. We didn't so villa support wasn't always there. The situation made it tense and was a shame all round. 2nd half sparked some intrigue but would have loved to hear a constant racket and noise from the villa faithful the whole match.

Based on second half I feel villa deserved a goal as Fulham were well ahead after 1st 45 mins.

I honestly thought if we had scored we would have gone on to win.

It's shocking really with that squad not only that we were unable to be promoted but also some of the poor football.

It's not encouraging to see a lack of cohesion in the attacking team play (minus grealish) . And it's not good to see the predictable play. It's like man utd Cup final and Mourinho tactics. When it works brilliant when it doesn't criticised and rightly so.

If Bruce stays next season is it continuity for more of the same and stability because a change could be both great but could be a fail.

I just so deflated what happened today.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal