collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Abbeyfealeavfc
[Today at 08:15:22 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Abbeyfealeavfc
[Today at 08:15:22 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by algy
[Today at 08:02:52 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:59:21 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clive W
[Today at 07:54:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 07:52:47 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread  (Read 473674 times)

Offline TaxDodger

Re: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread
« Reply #3690 on: September 20, 2018, 10:31:29 PM »
Did Collins and Chester ever play together at the back for Wales?

They did so in the Semi Final of Euro 2016 no less. I mean, Collins wouldn't have been playing had Ben Davies not been suspended, but still.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #3691 on: September 20, 2018, 10:35:45 PM »
Is Cowans still in a role at the club.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #3692 on: September 20, 2018, 11:15:50 PM »
I don't believe so.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #3693 on: September 21, 2018, 12:14:22 AM »
Unfortunately with how badly Bruce has fucked up the defensive options this is the market we are shopping in. When you make that much of a pigs ear of things you have to grin and bear it and eat the roasted rat that you've cooked up yourself.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #3694 on: September 21, 2018, 08:41:51 AM »
Unfortunately with how badly Bruce has fucked up the defensive options this is the market we are shopping in. When you make that much of a pigs ear of things you have to grin and bear it and eat the roasted rat that you've cooked up yourself.
No you don't.
You get rid of the chef.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #3695 on: September 21, 2018, 09:22:21 AM »
No you don't.
You get rid of the chef.
But in the meantime we still have no better options in the defence, so do we want some cover, albeit limited, or no cover at all?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3696 on: September 21, 2018, 09:50:41 AM »
No you don't.
You get rid of the chef.
But in the meantime we still have no better options in the defence, so do we want some cover, albeit limited, or no cover at all?

Personally I'd rather we use our youngsters as cover than sign a 35 year old wanker.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #3697 on: September 21, 2018, 10:08:04 AM »
No you don't.
You get rid of the chef.

Personally I'd rather we use our youngsters as cover than sign a 35 year old wanker.
If Chester breaks his leg tomorrow, which youngsters are ready to be thrown into a promotion challenge to partner Axel or Jedi through to Christmas?  And when Jedi becomes fatigued, what then?

I don't think it's a good solution, I think it's a terrible one and this is absolutely Bruce and the Boards fault.  But as with Samba last year in the position we are in right now, I'd rather have the an option to fall back on than no option at all.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #3698 on: September 21, 2018, 10:17:19 AM »
No you don't.
You get rid of the chef.

If Chester breaks his leg tomorrow, which youngsters are ready to be thrown into a promotion challenge to partner Axel or Jedi through to Christmas?  And when Jedi becomes fatigued, what then?

I don't think it's a good solution, I think it's a terrible one and this is absolutely Bruce and the Boards fault.  But as with Samba last year in the position we are in right now, I'd rather have the an option to fall back on than no option at all.

Well Axel and Jedi would become the first choice pairing and we'd have to look at getting game time for Bedeau to get him up to speed a little. Bree would also be an option there but again he needs time to learn it. Regardless of who the backup is we'll be weaker for losing our best defender but if we use it as an opportunity to give experience to a young player we might see benefits from that it 12-18 months. I don't think we'd be particularly weaker than if Collins was on the bench instead because he's shit and he's past it.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #3699 on: September 21, 2018, 10:26:07 AM »
RDL can play in the middle if necessary.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #3700 on: September 21, 2018, 10:27:08 AM »
No you don't.
You get rid of the chef.

Well Axel and Jedi would become the first choice pairing and we'd have to look at getting game time for Bedeau to get him up to speed a little. Bree would also be an option there but again he needs time to learn it. Regardless of who the backup is we'll be weaker for losing our best defender but if we use it as an opportunity to give experience to a young player we might see benefits from that it 12-18 months. I don't think we'd be particularly weaker than if Collins was on the bench instead because he's shit and he's past it.
I would be ok with Bree getting some time alongside Chester, but would be seriously worried if he was alongside Axel or Jedi - I can just imagine them falling apart.  Whatever people think of Collins he is enormously experienced, and if the worst should happen that experience could be vital.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #3701 on: September 21, 2018, 10:44:33 AM »
I don't deny he's experienced, but he's also never been more than an average defender, is now 35 and has played about 15 games in the last 18 months. Experience can be beneficial but, like Bruce, you're falling into the trap of massively over-valuing it compared to fitness, physique, technical ability and attitude (and also the fact that he acted like a c**t when he was here before).  I'd honestly rather we gave Samba another year if we want to sign an old man who can't run as cover.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #3702 on: September 21, 2018, 10:46:02 AM »
RDL can play in the middle if necessary.
In Australia!!

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #3703 on: September 21, 2018, 10:49:40 AM »
SB obviously didn't like RDL, but to potentially replace him as a squad member with an injury prone 35 year old is really risky. I always thought Collins was pretty average after a good start with us and that was 9 years ago.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #3704 on: September 21, 2018, 10:51:12 AM »
I don't deny he's experienced, but he's also never been more than an average defender, is now 35 and has played about 15 games in the last 18 months. Experience can be beneficial but, like Bruce, you're falling into the trap of massively over-valuing it compared to fitness, physique, technical ability and attitude (and also the fact that he acted like a c**t when he was here before).  I'd honestly rather we gave Samba another year if we want to sign an old man who can't run as cover.
Yeah, fair point.  I accept it's a shit option.  I guess I'm trying to be glass half full, but am furious the club has allowed us to get into this situation.  We can certainly agree in an ideal world Collins wouldn't be anywhere near the club.  Hopefully even if he does sign we won't need to play him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal