collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread  (Read 475580 times)

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
Re: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread
« Reply #825 on: July 21, 2018, 09:05:04 PM »
When the transfer windows for Football League close ? I know Premier League is 5th August or something like that.

5pm, Thursday the 9th of August.

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #826 on: July 21, 2018, 09:16:15 PM »
That seems a daft time to have it, when we are all at work!  That said, at least we don't have to listen to Jim White gobbing on.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #827 on: July 21, 2018, 09:27:14 PM »
That seems a daft time to have it, when we are all at work!  That said, at least we don't have to listen to Jim White gobbing on.

...but you'll miss Natalie Sawyers boobs. Apparently. Cough.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #828 on: July 21, 2018, 10:07:16 PM »

she's left Sky sports now

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #829 on: July 21, 2018, 10:40:50 PM »
RDL being very quick ought to stop an overload out wide though, as you can dictate territory via his pace and the potential for a quick outlet ball.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #830 on: July 21, 2018, 11:56:19 PM »
RDL being very quick ought to stop an overload out wide though, as you can dictate territory via his pace and the potential for a quick outlet ball.

Yes,  he should improve us greatly. If we can get away with losing just Jack from our prized assets we should be able to launch a pretty decent attempt at promotion.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #831 on: July 22, 2018, 01:08:35 AM »

Yes,  he should improve us greatly. If we can get away with losing just Jack from our prized assets we should be able to launch a pretty decent attempt at promotion.

If we could get a left back with similar pace I'd be much happier, not sure I like the idea of pushing Green there, he'd need 6-12 months to learn the role I reckon.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #832 on: July 22, 2018, 01:51:59 AM »
3-5-2 isn't imaginative, it's a simple case of taking wide players away so you can overload centrally. The problem is that it very quickly becomes 5-3-2 against a team that pushes it's wingers high. If they're playing 433 in particular you give their full backs acres of space to play in.  For a good tactical manager there are way's to address that, for someone like Bruce it just doesn't happen and you end up playing far too deep but still conceding too many chances.

Agree Paul and it also relies on a manager being confident enough to allow his three defenders to go man to-man. As you say, what usually happens is that the wing-backs drop right back to pick up the wide players, leaving 3 centre halves marking one forward and the opposition full-backs having acres of space.  Happened to England in the semi final a few weeks ago and seen it happen to Villa teams under Lambert and Bruce. 

The 3-4-3 formation used by Wolves last season counteracts that a bit.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #833 on: July 22, 2018, 08:53:38 AM »
Agree 343 helps to counter that. The two wide attackers can help to dominate midfield and reduce the doubling up risk from oppo full backs. Southgate really should have stopped playing 2 up front v Croatia when they started to get supremacy

But every formation has its donwsides. Last season people figured out how to play against Chelsea much better

Also completely agree that if we're to play 352 we need a left sided centre back and left wing back. Neither of whom is Neil Taylor

Trent Sainsbury and either Adam reach or the guy from Bristol city would do for me

We'll have to sell to buy presumably

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #834 on: July 23, 2018, 02:33:14 PM »
we need at least a left back, centre back, winger  and a replacement for Jack. We might also need another striker if we can get  rid of some of those that currently masquerade as one. Busy window as ideally, several fringe players like Ange  need to go too.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #835 on: July 23, 2018, 05:41:17 PM »
I would like a centre back, creative player and a goalie. It looks Bruce is going to play 3-5-2 so we could assume something like:

Steer
Hutton - Elphick - Chester
Elmo ------------------------ Taylor
Jedinak
Hourihane - Lansbury
Adomah - Kodjia

Is our current team

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #836 on: July 23, 2018, 05:45:50 PM »
I would like a centre back, creative player and a goalie. It looks Bruce is going to play 3-5-2 so we could assume something like:

Steer
Jedinak
Hourihane - Lansbury
Adomah - Kodjia

Is our current team

Is Grealish not in our current team?

Offline frank black

« Reply #837 on: July 23, 2018, 05:48:52 PM »
If we are playing by the rules, then it’s some quality loans only I guess. Unlikely we’d be able to reinvest any Grealish cash. But hey I guess the new owners have a cunning plan

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #838 on: July 23, 2018, 05:56:42 PM »

she's left Sky sports now

Where's she gone John? Asking for a friend.

Offline montague

• GM : 13.12.2015
« Reply #839 on: July 23, 2018, 06:16:39 PM »

Steer
Jedinak
Hourihane - Lansbury
Adomah - Kodjia

Is our current team

Thats got to be the slowest team in the league

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal