collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread  (Read 475875 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread
« Reply #705 on: July 14, 2018, 11:59:42 PM »
Hogan given his record for Brentford, what we paid for him and only being 25 at the time, the contract length isn't really that much of a shocker.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #706 on: July 15, 2018, 12:15:26 AM »
The length of contract doesn't bother me that much, 3 years is fairly standard for guys in their late 20s-early 30s, with 1-2 year contracts being more for the Jedi/Whelan age group.

My problem is with doing things like spending £12m on Ross McCormack a week or 2 before his 30th birthday. By doing that we gambled massively on him scoring the goals to get us promoted because anything less and he was always going to become an expensive weight around our neck, especially when you add his wages on top.

Some wil ltihnk it's easy to look at a deal like that with hindsight and say it was a mistake but there were a decent number of us saying it before he signed. As a club we need to stop thinking that signing established players at peak value is a good idea, we're great proof of how that sort of short-sighted approach can quickly destroy a club, repeating the same mistakes after they've caused the embarrassment of that relegation season was poor.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #707 on: July 15, 2018, 12:59:47 AM »

Championship crisis club Aston Villa are reportedly interested in signing striker Sam Gallagher on loan from Premier League Southampton.

i hope not . must be rubbish fake crap as Bruce as RHM and Davis at the Villa . why keep using other teams players .

Was in Birmingham Mail. Apparently SB wants two targetman striking options in his squad which gives you a hint that the direct football will be continuing next season and Hogan will continue to look lost when played.

Mentioned him a few pages ago, but if the reports about Hugill from West Ham being available on loan are true, I wouldn't be surprised if he is a target for Bruce seeing as he was interested in him before.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #708 on: July 15, 2018, 01:53:43 AM »
Stoke bid five mill for Chester? Why bother wasting people’s time? Best defender in the championship last season! At least make it interesting.

Probably one for our resident statto, but other than us, what's the most any EFL club has paid any other EFL club for a player?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #709 on: July 15, 2018, 02:24:09 AM »
I'd imagine it's the £11m Fulham paid Leeds for Fat Ross. Jordan Rhodes would probably be up there as well.

Offline Three Spires Villa

Rte: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread
« Reply #710 on: July 15, 2018, 07:05:25 AM »
Stoke coming back with £7 million ? We will probably sell at that.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #711 on: July 15, 2018, 08:13:41 AM »
Stoke bid five mill for Chester? Why bother wasting people’s time? Best defender in the championship last season! At least make it interesting.

Probably one for our resident statto, but other than us, what's the most any EFL club has paid any other EFL club for a player?

How much did Boro pay for Assombalonga?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #712 on: July 15, 2018, 08:15:27 AM »
I wouldn't be selling him for less than £9m and not to a Championship side.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #713 on: July 15, 2018, 08:23:10 AM »
I wouldn’t want to sell him at all, but I don’t think we have a choice

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #714 on: July 15, 2018, 08:46:45 AM »
he's way too good for Stoke

Offline frank black

« Reply #715 on: July 15, 2018, 09:55:51 AM »
The official interview with Chester doesn’t bode well. When they started asking about the togetherness and the fans he looked like he was going to cry. I’m no body language expert but it looks like he’s off.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #716 on: July 15, 2018, 12:03:08 PM »
The official interview with Chester doesn’t bode well. When they started asking about the togetherness and the fans he looked like he was going to cry. I’m no body language expert but it looks like he’s off.

Of course he's off. He's the next most valuable player we have after Jack.

I can tell you something about Chester from first hand experience, he absolutely LOVES it at Villa. REALLY loves it, as do his family. So much so they couldn't believe the difference in how they've been treated here as opposed to at the Baggies.

If you think Jack will find it hard to leave, spare a thought for Chester as well. Model professional who at his age was settled and with no intention of ever moving on again. At least Jack has another 10 plus years left to move around and fill his boots.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #717 on: July 15, 2018, 12:04:35 PM »
I really like James Chester - a top professional who will be keenly missed

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #718 on: July 15, 2018, 12:06:20 PM »
he's way too good for Stoke

Chester was too good for the Championship at the point he was signed by Villa. However, remaining in the midlands seems more important to him than Premier League football.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #719 on: July 15, 2018, 12:20:37 PM »
I really like James Chester - a top professional who will be keenly missed

He's not departed.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal