collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread  (Read 475583 times)

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
Re: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread
« Reply #3720 on: September 21, 2018, 05:07:24 PM »
has anyone got a clue about Richards

I mean why are we are scratting about with Collins who's old, hasn't played much lately and isn't very good when
we have a CH we are paying 50/60k a week who would be as good as Collins and imo better but we never hear anything about him

is he injured, outcast, retired, missing,  vapourised, kidnapped, dead ?

why don't we know

(Edit, to confirm I don't like or think Richards is much good, but still a better option than Collins if fit, and he's already been paid by us )
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 05:09:42 PM by john e »

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #3721 on: September 21, 2018, 05:12:51 PM »
For me Richards isn't better in any way let's not insult Collins and all the other footballers up and down the land who are heaps more professional in attitude and are fit and available for selection .

I hear you about Richards and is frustrating but I don't  even see him as a villa player and clearly not featuring .

However I'm not sure how good Richards is anyway just athletic . Positionally pretty awful. Decisions awful . I rather have Collins .

But the question perhaps more is Collins and Jedinak will at times be in team and on field together taking up 2 places. 
Jedinak as a 6   

Collins is experienced and would do a job .

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #3722 on: September 21, 2018, 05:35:51 PM »
Steve Bruce has confirmed that Aston Villa are having a look at James Collins with a view to potentially signing the free agent defender.

"James is coming in training with us when he is available," said Bruce.

"He has nicked a hamstring, unfortunately. He has been fit with West Ham and Ipswich so we have invited him up.

"I have known him a long time. We have invited him up to get his hamstring fit and come and train with us and we will take it from there."

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #3723 on: September 21, 2018, 05:49:37 PM »
I can't get anything other than annoyed about Collins being at the club again.   The master at heading set piece crosses over the bar and running back to his position with his head in his hands.  Oh, and allegedly assaulting the coaching staff (and club legend).  Can only be as potential cover for our limited pool of centre halves until January.  But, still... Pfft. 

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #3724 on: September 21, 2018, 07:51:08 PM »
The world's a big place. I'm sure there's better than James Collins out there - even as a stop gap.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #3725 on: September 21, 2018, 08:05:11 PM »
Huth for one would have been, although possibly even more injury prone than Collins.

What happened to the link with Caulker?

Anyhow, Collins will be fine for a few games in an emergency between now and Jan, and is a better centre half than Jedinak.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #3726 on: September 21, 2018, 08:08:57 PM »
I also remember Collins bleating on about how he should never have left West Ham in the first place when he went back last time and he regretted the move ,  well sunshine don't repeat yourself

Offline itmustbe_it is!

« Reply #3727 on: September 21, 2018, 09:26:31 PM »
Bring back Samba  :)

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #3728 on: September 22, 2018, 09:30:29 AM »
let's not.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3729 on: September 22, 2018, 09:40:17 AM »
I thought he did ok in the games he played in. I don't remember him being overly terrible.

Offline nigel

« Reply #3730 on: September 22, 2018, 11:59:29 AM »
I don't deny he's experienced, but he's also never been more than an average defender, is now 35 and has played about 15 games in the last 18 months. Experience can be beneficial but, like Bruce, you're falling into the trap of massively over-valuing it compared to fitness, physique, technical ability and attitude (and also the fact that he acted like a c**t when he was here before).  I'd honestly rather we gave Samba another year if we want to sign an old man who can't run as cover.
Yeah, fair point.  I accept it's a shit option.  I guess I'm trying to be glass half full, but am furious the club has allowed us to get into this situation.  We can certainly agree in an ideal world Collins wouldn't be anywhere near the club.  Hopefully even if he does sign we won't need to play him.

Not a fan of Collins coming back, but, in fairness we all said the same about John Terry

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #3731 on: September 22, 2018, 12:12:22 PM »
I wasn’t bothered when he left, if he comes back as a stop gap so be it, but what a position to be in, well done Steve

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #3732 on: September 22, 2018, 01:08:20 PM »
Terry was one of the best defenders of his generation and despite being unlikeable (certainly in his pomp) as a person, was absolute quality.  Collins has always been bang average and a ****** to boot. 

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #3733 on: September 22, 2018, 03:09:39 PM »
Makes you wonder why collins still wants to play. At 35, suffering injuries and with 15 years of premiership wages to fall back on you'd think he'd hang up his boots. Terry you could understand as he wasn't getting games at chelsea, can still attract big wages and  obviously came here to play a major part. Seems odd he'd decide to travel from london everyday for a bit-part role.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #3734 on: September 22, 2018, 03:20:57 PM »
has anyone got a clue about Richards

I mean why are we are scratting about with Collins who's old, hasn't played much lately and isn't very good when
we have a CH we are paying 50/60k a week who would be as good as Collins and imo better but we never hear anything about him

is he injured, outcast, retired, missing,  vapourised, kidnapped, dead ?

why don't we know

(Edit, to confirm I don't like or think Richards is much good, but still a better option than Collins if fit, and he's already been paid by us )

Bruce picked Richards for the first game he managed v Wolves. His attempted rehabilitation of Gabby illustrates he would have been quite happy to go down the route of picking a big-name player based on what he did 4/5 years ago - if that was ever an option.

If there was anything left to flog at all.

There clearly isn't.

The theory about us pressing ahead with the deal despite an iffy medical (and ergo no insurance) seems the most likely reason why we don't play him. And why no other club at any level of the football pyramid has gone anywhere near him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal