collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread  (Read 475546 times)

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
Re: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2018, 08:43:30 PM »
RHM deserves game time next season.

With a better manager you might find McCormack and Hogan look decent again.

Key signing is a better manager, no idea who that is though.

You make me think bad sweary words about a fellow fan.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2018, 08:44:00 PM »
Terry looked poor today for most part ,  I think we have got what we can out of him now so it's best he goes now especially on his wages

Our problem is we have players over 30 on decent money who have no resale value , the board back Bruce and his experienced buys but now we are stuck with them for another season.

I wouldn't write off Hogan yet either with the right manager and style of play I think he is still a decent player at this level , as is McCormack. Grabben is top scorer in league yet has looked hopeless the last 2 games left alone upfront with a midfield miles from him as did Hogan when we tried him as lone striker.

We will need a keeper and a proper left footed LB , midfield we need more legs and pace and probably 2 CB's to replace Samba and Terry

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2018, 08:48:49 PM »
I'd be amazed if we see 4 or 5 of that team playing next season.

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2018, 08:54:02 PM »
I'd be amazed if we see 4 or 5 of that team playing next season.

AEM, Chester, Grealish, Jedinak, Hourihane, Adomah all contracted for next season.

Of course Jack and Chester could very easily be tempted away by premier league offers, I'm not naive to ignore that.

The others will still be needed as it's a long season than we need more than 11 players who can come in and do jobs in the bread and butter games on Tuesday nights.

Offline SirSteveUK

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2018, 08:59:31 PM »
The obvious saleable asset is Jack, we won't be able to keep him

Why not ?

For me, if Whelan, Lansbury or Bjarneson aren't considered good enough to feature in the first 14 in a final
14 ? do you mean 11 ?? No you can't mean that - that would imply that we should sell all our non-First XI and field no subs. Perhaps you meant that they were not called upon ? Brucey would certainly bring on Bjarni when we are a goal down ...LOL

I think Kodjia regain form with a proper offseason not rehabbing. I'm not worried about him at all, he's a player.
AGREED

All the loan players failed so its goodbye to them.
Really ? REALLY ? You include Johnstone and Snodgrass in that ??

BTW - I think you will find that Axel is already fixed up with us for next season.

I think you will find that, unlike SB, SR & KW have had a Plan A & a Plan B cooking for some time

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2018, 09:07:21 PM »
if you are quoting me of course they failed - their remit was to get us promoted and they didn't. There isn't one loan I'd keep.

Offline SirSteveUK

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2018, 09:10:32 PM »
Not Johnstone ? that's not what I would call a majority view - albeit the decision has been made for us..

So who would we keep - they ALL failed their remit - sell 'em all ?

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2018, 09:13:19 PM »
For me, if Whelan, Lansbury or Bjarneson aren't considered good enough to feature in the first 14 in a final
14 ? do you mean 11 ?? No you can't mean that - that would imply that we should sell all our non-First XI and field no subs. Perhaps you meant that they were not called upon ? Brucey would certainly bring on Bjarni when we are a goal down ...LOL

No, I meant 14. In fact in Lansbury's case 18.

Yes, of course I meant that we should only have 11 players in the squad. Because that's logical. Funnily enough, we're allowed to sign players in the summer as well.

What I meant was that it's now the end of the season and as with any staff team, if we are releasing players we should look to replace the bottom end of the squad with players who are better than what we have i.e. Whelan and Lansbury go. Hourihane becomes sub. New signing goes into team.

Online ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2018, 09:22:57 PM »
Lets assume the loan players are off, and the loaned out players come back, and the out of contract players are released. That leaves us with:

GK - Bunn, Steer

Fullbacks - Taylor, Bree, Elmo, De Laet, Richards.

Centre backs - Chester, Elphick

Wingers - Adomah, Green

Midfielders - Grealish, Gil, Jedinak, Whelan, Lansbury

Strikers - Kodjia, Hogan, McCormack, RHM, Davis

We have issues. Our only left back is shit. One of our two central defenders is Elphick. Two of our three central midfielders are getting old. We only have two wingers. Up top we have a bunch of very expensive forwards that can't seem to score goals.

We will need to find a decent GK, Two centre backs, a left back, and a defensive midfielder that is not ancient. We will need to do this without selling Grealish and Chester.

Bruce is not the man for that job. We need someone that can get a tune out of what have been good players elsewhere (Elphick, Hogan, McCormack, Lansbury), bring youth through and find some bargains.

I would try and get Terry to stay another year as assistant manager / player alongside someone fresh.

Offline SirSteveUK

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2018, 09:24:44 PM »
What I meant was that it's now the end of the season and as with any staff team, if we are releasing players we should look to replace the bottom end of the squad with players who are better than what we have i.e. Whelan and Lansbury go. Hourihane becomes sub. New signing goes into team.

Agreed

Offline Martin Carruthers

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2018, 09:26:30 PM »
 Bjarnason?
Lets assume the loan players are off, and the loaned out players come back, and the out of contract players are released. That leaves us with:

GK - Bunn, Steer

Fullbacks - Taylor, Bree, Elmo, De Laet, Richards.

Centre backs - Chester, Elphick

Wingers - Adomah, Green

Midfielders - Grealish, Gil, Jedinak, Whelan, Lansbury

Strikers - Kodjia, Hogan, McCormack, RHM, Davis

We have issues. Our only left back is shit. One of our two central defenders is Elphick. Two of our three central midfielders are getting old. We only have two wingers. Up top we have a bunch of very expensive forwards that can't seem to score goals.

We will need to find a decent GK, Two centre backs, a left back, and a defensive midfielder that is not ancient. We will need to do this without selling Grealish and Chester.

Bruce is not the man for that job. We need someone that can get a tune out of what have been good players elsewhere (Elphick, Hogan, McCormack, Lansbury), bring youth through and find some bargains.

I would try and get Terry to stay another year as assistant manager / player alongside someone fresh.

Online ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2018, 09:28:16 PM »
Bjarnason?

Yeah i missed out Hourihane as well. Which does make the list a bit better.

Offline johnny from donny

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2018, 09:34:50 PM »
The obvious saleable asset is Jack, we won't be able to keep him

Why not ?

Because with the issues regarding FFP restrictions we are going to need to sell players and I think it's likely that we will get an offer we can't refuse for him. If you disagree, I hope you are right and I am wrong.  Time will tell.  Bear in mind, he has ambitions to play for England and that's not going to happen while he's a championship player. Regardless of sentiment, he may seek a move for the good of his career.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2018, 09:37:52 PM »
think we'll get an offer of Kodjia though it may not be what we're willing to accept due to his injury. chester, grealish maybe. the rest don't really matter because they're not worth much

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2018, 09:37:52 PM »
Would keep Bjarni but he was talking of leaving in January but wanted to help us get up.

He's one we've seen before who's not been happy when he's been dropped for big games so think he'll want to leave.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal