collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread  (Read 475854 times)

Offline sirlordbaltimore

Re: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread
« Reply #2325 on: August 19, 2018, 12:10:52 PM »
I’m just not convinced that he wants to stray much from the experienced strategy that he has gone to. It’s as if he’s lamenting the direction the new owners have taken and building his new list of excuses should it not work

Do expand. When? Where?

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #2326 on: August 19, 2018, 12:12:33 PM »
So, if I read what Bruce has said correctly, we are looking to loan young players on a potential loan to buy deal, when they know, that if they do sign and we don't go up, they are stuck with us in the Championship, thwarting their lofty ambitions of continuing to play in the Prem.  This must make it harder for us to loan players.  Equally, I don't want Abraham to sign in the longer term as he clearly isn't good enough for the Prem.  He'd be great for us in the Championship as he was for Bristol City, but not for Swansea in the Prem.  You would think that, if he's going to make it anywhere, he'd have already done it at Chelsea with all those good players around him.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 12:20:49 PM by Newby »

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2327 on: August 19, 2018, 12:25:14 PM »
So, if I read what Bruce has said correctly, we are looking to loan young players on a potential loan to buy deal, when they know, that if they do sign and we don't go up, they are stuck with us in the Championship, thwarting their lofty ambitions of continuing to play in the Prem.  This must make it harder for us to loan players.  Equally, I don't want Abraham to sign in the longer term as he clearly isn't good enough for the Prem.  He'd be great for us in the Championship as he was for Bristol City, but not for Swansea in the Prem.  You would think that, if he's going to make it anywhere, he'd have already done it at Chelsea with all those good players around him.

By the same token, Lukaku couldn't get a game a Chelsea either and he was definately good enough.

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #2328 on: August 19, 2018, 12:34:04 PM »

By the same token, Lukaku couldn't get a game a Chelsea either and he was definately good enough.

Fair comment, there are exceptions, especially as Lukaku plays for the man who didn't see his ability previously. 

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2329 on: August 19, 2018, 12:39:18 PM »
I’m just not convinced that he wants to stray much from the experienced strategy that he has gone to. It’s as if he’s lamenting the direction the new owners have taken and building his new list of excuses should it not work

Do expand. When? Where?

Why bring this up? Preached? He makes it sound it’s all their decision versus something he absolutely agrees with.

“The owners have preached from the start that we want a younger outlook so we can grow and get better.

“That always takes time.

It’s not unlike Bruce to get his excuses in early if the direction being “preached” by the owners doesn’t pan out.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #2330 on: August 19, 2018, 12:59:18 PM »
yep.

"we bought all these old players under the old owner but that wasn't me guys, and now we're buying young players on loan from premier clubs and i'm going along with it so if it don't work out....well y'know....."

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2331 on: August 19, 2018, 01:03:16 PM »
When you look at SB's previous transfer dealings he's been fairly flexible.

Yes plenty of old heads but also signed younger players. At Hull Clucas, Robertson and Maguire all came in after relegation in 2015 so that to me will be the template the owners are looking at and John McGinn is first example of this. Sign them for 2-3m and sell on for 15-20m few years later.

What's surprised me about SB in his two years here is how few players we've signed from abroad. He's been very much like MON in his approach in getting tried and tested players.

If you look at his previous clubs he's always signed players from South America. Now was that him or owners/agents at those clubs signing those players? If it was not that much different to Mendes getting involved.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #2332 on: August 19, 2018, 01:10:33 PM »
i just find it a bit weird he's trying to distance himself from his signing old men and loans policy. that's probably been his only transfer success at the club to be honest. i mean hogan, taylor, bree is not good is it? elmo is the only one that's been half decent

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #2333 on: August 19, 2018, 01:17:09 PM »

Hmm well Lukhaka, De Bruyne and many others didn't make it a t Chelsea as not the best at developing younger players, just hoarding them

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #2334 on: August 19, 2018, 01:40:45 PM »

Hmm well Lukhaka, De Bruyne and many others didn't make it a t Chelsea as not the best at developing younger players, just hoarding them

well to be fair, i don't think hoarding them was the original intention. They obviously wanted to get the best young players to save themselves millions in buying the finished article. The trouble was reality struck in that someone like Mourinho isn't going to wait for them to mature, just as he's moaning at manu now about not getting the players he wants. To be fair to him if you're at clubs like that you haven't got the time to wait for them to make the grade.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2335 on: August 19, 2018, 01:45:48 PM »
It's not a bad strategy. The best ones could work their way into the side and meanwhile, the others are increasing their value and being sold for a profit - sometimes a very nice one. They may have sell-on clauses too.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #2336 on: August 19, 2018, 01:51:23 PM »
It's not a bad strategy. The best ones could work their way into the side and meanwhile, the others are increasing their value and being sold for a profit - sometimes a very nice one. They may have sell-on clauses too.

yep at the time i don't remember this huge uproar because they sold Lukaku. Same with De Bruyne. A lot of it is people commenting in hindsight and they made a big profit on both of them

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #2337 on: August 19, 2018, 03:54:17 PM »
Abraham is twenty

I'd have thought villa fans would stop writing off players that age and / or players who struggle in a relegation team

(Veretout, amavi, Albrighton, Davis, etc etc)

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #2338 on: August 19, 2018, 10:00:47 PM »
Shame Glenn Murray is still in the Brighton team as would be just the man for villa promotion push.

They have several injured strikers so evergreen Murray able to continue his 100% commitments in playing football. Would be right up Bruce street.

I just like some players who will put a shift in non stop and cause problems to opposition and get on with playing .
The good pros like these add , Essentially though need pace and energy throughout the team .

More dynamic and fast players to get more going and driving up pitch .

« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 10:14:09 PM by footyskillz »

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #2339 on: August 19, 2018, 10:52:46 PM »
No way Glen Murray fits into the youth approach, even if the idea wasn't pie in the sky.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal