collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread  (Read 475559 times)

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread
« on: May 26, 2018, 06:58:30 PM »
Plenty likely to leave and contracts ending. Money an issue. Let the speculation commence!

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 07:01:01 PM »
Jack Marriott and Grabban in on permanents.

God knows who else as 5-6 of this team won't be back for various reasons.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 07:02:43 PM »
Jack Marriott?

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 07:03:56 PM »
Need a big overhaul. We need some youth and energy in that team.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 07:08:26 PM »
Jack Marriott?

Striker for Peterbrough. Scored 20 + goals in league one. We've been scouting him and the Posh owner says we want him on his twitter account.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 07:15:41 PM »
Not really fussed who ends up going. When it came to the crunch to produce on the big stage they failed.

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 07:20:15 PM »
Not really fussed who ends up going. When it came to the crunch to produce on the big stage they failed.

So, with that said and the possibility of JT, Johnstone, Chester, Snodgrass, Onomah, Jack, Kodjia etc. leaving in the off season.. do you think we'll be able to compete at a top 6 level next year?

It could take us years to build a squad and challenge again. Quite frankly, I'm a little uneasy about the next few years.

Offline johnny from donny

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 07:21:02 PM »
Jack Marriott?

Striker for Peterbrough. Scored 20 + goals in league one. We've been scouting him and the Posh owner says we want him on his twitter account.

We can want all we like, he won't be in a championship team next season.
I think there will be a big clear out (yes, stating the obvious) but not many coming in.  It's going to be sink or swim for some of our young players next season, if we can keep Chester and persuade Hutton to take a pay cut then we would have some experience on the pitch, but the likes of Kodjia, Hogan and Adomah will be off.
The obvious saleable asset is Jack, we won't be able to keep him but we absolutely must get the best deal we can for him and have a sell on clause in the contract.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2018, 07:31:42 PM »
Likes of Jedinak and AEM stil have time left on their deal, Whelan aswell so we'll still have experience although doubt any of them will manage 40 + games.

At start of the season Andre Green and Kienan Davis were in good form although both have fallen off the cliff since the new year seemingly.

Hourihane is that classic o.k at championship level but nowhere near good enough for prem so he'll be staying. I think Adomah falls into that camp aswell.

No one will sign Kodjia with his injuries lately so he needs to get fit and he's shown he can score goals.

I'm not quite as doom laden as many. Yes we'll have to rebuild our defence but rest of side looks stable to me.

We've now joined vast majority of clubs in championship who have to rely on free transfers and loans to fund promotion pushes. Remind me again how much Fulham spent on their first 11 today, I bet it was less than 20m. And they got in Mitrovic mid season to give them that cutting edge.

It can be done as all the teams who get promoted on minimal budgets show. It's unsustainable for us to keep spending 20m + so now SB/new manager and especially Steve Round will have to earn their wages.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2018, 07:33:59 PM »
GK: ?, Steer, Sarkic
FB: Elmohamady, ?, Hutton, Bree,
CB: Chester, ?, ?, ?, ?
CM: Hourinhane, Jedinak, ?, ?
AM: Adomah, ?, Grealish, Green, O'Hare
CF: Kodija (unless someone offers silly money), RHM, Davis, ?

Sell/Scrap (assuming we can find takers of course): Bunn, Gollini, De Laet, Taylor, Samba, Elphick, Terry, Richards, Lansbury, Whelan, Bjarnason, Gardner, Gil, McCormack, Hogan, Gabby

Musts for next year:
1) The board need to make their mind up sharpish and either back Bruce for another season or say goodbye
2) Whoever is manager needs to give RHM, O'Hare, Green chance to prove whether they are up to it or not
3) Whether Terry stays or not we need to find decent back-up centre halves who aren't at the end of their careers

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2018, 07:38:36 PM »
GK: ?, Steer, Sarkic
FB: Elmohamady, ?, Hutton, Bree,
CB: Chester, ?, ?, ?, ?
CM: Hourinhane, Jedinak, ?, ?
AM: Adomah, ?, Grealish, Green, O'Hare
CF: Kodija (unless someone offers silly money), RHM, Davis, ?

Sell/Scrap (assuming we can find takers of course): Bunn, Gollini, De Laet, Taylor, Samba, Elphick, Terry, Richards, Lansbury, Whelan, Bjarnason, Gardner, Gil, McCormack, Hogan, Gabby

Musts for next year:
1) The board need to make their mind up sharpish and either back Bruce for another season or say goodbye
2) Whoever is manager needs to give RHM, O'Hare, Green chance to prove whether they are up to it or not
3) Whether Terry stays or not we need to find decent back-up centre halves who aren't at the end of their careers

Hutton is gone. Taylor will still be here.....

Whelan's got another year hasn't he? I know he's taken plenty of stick but thought he was o.k in the run in when he played. Lansbury aswell is still here. Bjarni will probably move on.

Of course these players on their own aren't match winners or will get us promoted but they are experienced heads so won't completely lose that factor.

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2018, 07:39:16 PM »
Likes of Jedinak and AEM stil have time left on their deal, Whelan aswell so we'll still have experience although doubt any of them will manage 40 + games.

At start of the season Andre Green and Kienan Davis were in good form although both have fallen off the cliff since the new year seemingly.

Hourihane is that classic o.k at championship level but nowhere near good enough for prem so he'll be staying. I think Adomah falls into that camp aswell.

No one will sign Kodjia with his injuries lately so he needs to get fit and he's shown he can score goals.

I'm not quite as doom laden as many. Yes we'll have to rebuild our defence but rest of side looks stable to me.

We've now joined vast majority of clubs in championship who have to rely on free transfers and loans to fund promotion pushes. Remind me again how much Fulham spent on their first 11 today, I bet it was less than 20m. And they got in Mitrovic mid season to give them that cutting edge.

It can be done as all the teams who get promoted on minimal budgets show. It's unsustainable for us to keep spending 20m + so now SB/new manager and especially Steve Round will have to earn their wages.

Fulham's starting eleven cost £11m I believe.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2018, 07:41:00 PM »
sadly Kodjia looks a busted flush and Hogan was never going to thrive here.  All the loan players failed so its goodbye to them. A step too fat for captain John so a warm fare the well to him too. Starting immediately cherrypick/fast-track the best of the yoof, scour the globe for some good Bosmans, work the loan market like crazy and above all, get in someone who can make that work as a cohesive whole. Simple.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2018, 07:42:05 PM »

Fulham's starting eleven cost £11m I believe.

I think Fulham is proof where selling one key player can improve you. They flogged us McCormack who was way overpriced and used that 12m to sign players like Cairney, Johansen, Fredericks and create a much more balanced first 11.

They went down in premier league in 2014 in a similar mess to us but they've had a good team for a few seasons now and kept pretty much everyone together after they missed out last year.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2018, 07:43:41 PM »
Hutton is gone. Taylor will still be here.....

Whelan's got another year hasn't he? I know he's taken plenty of stick but thought he was o.k in the run in when he played. Lansbury aswell is still here. Bjarni will probably move on.

Of course these players on their own aren't match winners or will get us promoted but they are experienced heads so won't completely lose that factor.

I've never been as much a Hutton fan as some on here, but if we're shedding experience, to me it'd make sense to offer him a contract on reduced terms to cover both full back positions (whether he'd accept it is another matter of course). I think Taylor will be on his bike, he's clearly out of favour.

For me, if Whelan, Lansbury or Bjarneson aren't considered good enough to feature in the first 14 in a final, there's little point in keeping them as I'm sure Whelan and Lansbury at least are on decent money. I'd keep Jedinak but try to find his younger, fitter replacement for him to teach.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal