collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: best Holte End memories - standing  (Read 13492 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: best Holte End memories - standing
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2018, 10:28:45 PM »
Being in the Holte Boxing day late 80's beating Man Utd 3-0, absolute pandomonium in there ill never forget it!

And then beating Arsenal two days later.  Two full houses back to back, playing some great football.

I seem to remember us beating Arsenal with a quite late goal all of their defenders claimed was offside. The fanzine 'When Saturday Comes' showed a cartoon around that time advertising the new Subbuteo Arsenal team with all of the back four in a pose with their arms in the air claiming for offside.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 10:30:42 PM by Damo70 »

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2018, 02:51:27 PM »
Being in the Holte Boxing day late 80's beating Man Utd 3-0, absolute pandomonium in there ill never forget it!

And then beating Arsenal two days later.  Two full houses back to back, playing some great football.

I seem to remember us beating Arsenal with a quite late goal all of their defenders claimed was offside. The fanzine 'When Saturday Comes' showed a cartoon around that time advertising the new Subbuteo Arsenal team with all of the back four in a pose with their arms in the air claiming for offside.
It was fairly late I think. but the thing that stood out the most to me was the fact it took an eternity for the ball to drop in the next - it was almost slow motion.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2018, 07:26:53 PM »

Offline Damo70

« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2018, 07:38:00 PM »
That Arsenal footage reminded me of one of the early BFR games at Villa Park against them when he was 'geeing up' Tony Daley by practically running alongside him up the touchline.

Offline ez

« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2018, 05:07:24 PM »
That Arsenal footage reminded me of one of the early BFR games at Villa Park against them when he was 'geeing up' Tony Daley by practically running alongside him up the touchline.

Thank you. For years i've wondered if i really saw that or whether my memory was playing tricks on me.

Offline ez

« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2018, 05:12:32 PM »
I have a memory of beating blues 1-0 with Sid scoring the goal and the noise from the holte being deafening.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2018, 09:25:28 AM »

Thank you. For years i've wondered if i really saw that or whether my memory was playing tricks on me.

In the post match interview he claimed that Daley had hold of his tie.

Offline North Birmingham AVFC

« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2018, 05:15:12 PM »
V Liverpool has Deanos first game.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2018, 06:02:29 PM »

Deano made his debut for us at Elland Road and had the ball in the net only for it to be ruled offside. I think we drew 1-1 with Hodge getting a late equaliser for them. The game against Liverpool was his home debut but his second game for us.

Online JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2018, 09:57:40 PM »

Deano made his debut for us at Elland Road and had the ball in the net only for it to be ruled offside. I think we drew 1-1 with Hodge getting a late equaliser for them. The game against Liverpool was his home debut but his second game for us.

That's right Damo. Deano's home debut was also the Ronny Rosenthal game if I remember rightly. One of my favourite games in the Holte End as it turned out. 

Offline FrankyH

• GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2018, 10:05:45 PM »

That's right Damo. Deano's home debut was also the Ronny Rosenthal game if I remember rightly. One of my favourite games in the Holte End as it turned out. 

Didn't Mark Walters score  for them and blow kisses to the Holte End.I know he was a great player for us , but that really pissed me off .

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2018, 10:44:54 PM »
Late 70s onwards we always stood in the same spot. Slightly over half way back, just left of centre level with edge of the 6 yard box. Can't remember the game but it's about 10 minutes to kick off and it's filling up fast around us, our mate Gareth suddenly goes "Oh Shit". We all look round and he's been hit straight on the head with an egg thrown from the back, egg shell in his hair and its dripping down his face. We all burst out laughing which is compounded by angry Gareth deciding he's going to find who threw it. Great mirth amongst us while he's gone wondering at his chances of finding who is the culprit from approximately 10,000 suspects. He reappears about 15 minutes into the game telling us how he had been going round the back of the Holte asking people if they knew anything and that one guy seemed to have a guilty look on his face but he couldn't be sure !

Offline Damo70

« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2018, 12:13:40 PM »

Didn't Mark Walters score  for them and blow kisses to the Holte End.I know he was a great player for us , but that really pissed me off .

I think Walters put Liverpool 1-0 up by scoring at the Holte End and then did some sort of funky dance move/body popping kind of thing. By the time we were winning 4-2 the Holte were chanting "Walters, Walters show us your dance". He didn't oblige us by doing another 'turn'. I think Liverpool gave a debut to a Dane by the name of Torben Piechnik that day. He was appropriately named as Dean Saunders had a picnic playing against him.

Offline nigel

« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2018, 12:36:32 PM »
Sunderland in 1974/75, absolutely jam packed and great atmosphere

Yes our promotion and league cup win year.
The Holte was rammed, you literally couldn't move.
I was 15 and was jammed in behind a rather nice woman, so I didn't want to move  ;)
I felt this warm sensation down my leg, glanced down and the bloke behind me was having a piss!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal