collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: best Holte End memories - standing  (Read 13489 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: best Holte End memories - standing
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2018, 06:17:45 PM »
I had a nagging feeling we played Derby at some point but had no recollection of the score or even if I was right about us playing them. I have no recollection of the Leeds game. I remember the second leg of the Boro game as it was on SKY about a year or so before we actually got SKY at my parents house. My next door neighbour got his mate who had SKY to tape it whilst watching it, then bring it over for him to watch and then dropped it round to me afterwards. It was into the early hours before I got to watch it 'as live'. In hindsight I don't know why my next door neighbour and I didn't just watch it together once he had the tape!

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2018, 06:24:13 PM »
We played Derby twice in it. Lost 2-1 away in 1988.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2018, 06:35:05 PM »
We played Derby twice in it. Lost 2-1 away in 1988.

When was the other time? Were we home or away and what what was the score? Because I think the one you have already mentioned above was the one I vaguely remembered even though I'm as sure as I can be that I wasn't there.
Thinking about it I am pretty sure the first time I ever went to the Baseball Ground was the Tony Daley 'whistle from the crowd' game around 1986 and I didn't go there again until Tony Cascarino's debut in 1990.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2018, 08:21:09 PM »
The 4-1 home win I mentioned a few posts ago  :P

Offline Damo70

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2018, 08:17:27 PM »
The 4-1 home win I mentioned a few posts ago  :P

Aah, November 1986. We played them three times in a month. We drew 1-1 at the Baseball with that controversial Daley goal and then beat them 2-1 in the replay with goals from Thompson and Birch. Then beat them 4-1 in the full members cup. But I couldn't find the goalscorers for that one.

Offline Kevin Dawson

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2018, 08:32:34 PM »
Freezing cold in a tiny crowd just before Christmas against Forest in the ZDS Cup. No villa players wanted to form the wall to defend a Stuart Pearce free kick on the edge of the box. Coldest I’ve ever been at a match.
Can't remember it being cold, but I was very, very drunk. I sang ' Gagey is back' from the top of the Holte and he waved at me. From what I remember it was a very good game....

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2018, 10:14:35 PM »
Sunderland in 1974/75, absolutely jam packed and great atmosphere

I've said on here before now, this was one of the most amazing days ever at VP.  I was amongst the first 100 or so inside the ground (I knew it would be a sell out, so I was queuing up outside the old Trinity Road Enclosure before 1.00pm).   I used to sit about 12 rows from the front just to the Holte End half of the half way line.

The memories of looking at a rammed Holte End and then looking at the old clock on the Witton Lane Stand saying barely 2.00pm and thinking "WOW" are ones that I've never forgotten and hopefully never will.  Words can't explain how it looked. 

Offline Damo70

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2018, 03:48:49 AM »
Didn't we play at home to Arsenal in their first game after Tony Adams was sent down? "Wheres your donkey gone, wheres your donkey gone" ringing out from the Holte.

Online Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2018, 06:37:12 PM »
Yes. Remember that.

Also "Are you watching in the nick"

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2018, 06:41:34 PM »
The sheer joy and relief after beating Tranmere in the semi final was unforgettable, especially when Richardson ( I think..or was it Ugo or both ?? ) smashed a penalty over or against the bar....i'm not known for my memory.

Offline thick_mike

• GM : 26.02.2025
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2018, 06:42:43 PM »
Freezing cold in a tiny crowd just before Christmas against Forest in the ZDS Cup. No villa players wanted to form the wall to defend a Stuart Pearce free kick on the edge of the box. Coldest I’ve ever been at a match.
Can't remember it being cold, but I was very, very drunk. I sang ' Gagey is back' from the top of the Holte and he waved at me. From what I remember it was a very good game....

I was terrifically pissed too (drinking in the pub from lunchtime on the last day at work before Christmas). A Forest supporting mate I was at uni with a few years earlier came down on spec and found me on the Holte...that’s how empty it was.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2018, 09:14:08 PM »
The sheer joy and relief after beating Tranmere in the semi final was unforgettable, especially when Richardson ( I think..or was it Ugo or both ?? ) smashed a penalty over or against the bar....i'm not known for my memory.
Ugo hit the bar, Richardson, as was his wont in shootouts, hammered his over the bar.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2018, 07:31:34 AM »
The game against Liverpool in the cup, Holte was rocking and felt like the good times were back.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2018, 09:45:10 PM »
Ugo hit the bar, Richardson, as was his wont in shootouts, hammered his over the bar.

Not a good memory and nothing to do with the Holte, but would I be right in saying both Richardson and Teale missed penalties in front of our away end at Selhurst Park in a midweek FA Cup game? I think Vinnie Jones conveted the winning penalty for them. I had some malicious thoughts whilst walking past his heavily sponsored BMW in the car park after the game but didn't act on them.

Offline the-farmer

• GM : Nov, 2013
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2018, 11:27:27 PM »
I wouldn't like to choose between Inter Milan October 90 or the Arsenal & Man United  games at Christmas the previous year

When I was younger in the early 80s, I had to sit with Dad, (he never took me in the Holte) but we did sit in the Trinity Road enclosure & it used to get a bit lively there

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal