collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by eamonn
[Today at 10:38:10 PM]

Re: FFP by AV82EC
[Today at 10:36:39 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Behind Bluenose Lines
[Today at 10:32:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:29:02 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:27:22 PM]

Re: FFP by aj2k77
[Today at 10:21:35 PM]

Re: FFP by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:11:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wembley in a nutshell  (Read 3671 times)

Offline wittonwarrior

Wembley in a nutshell
« on: May 22, 2018, 02:37:26 PM »
Overpriced, a bummer of a place to get to and to get away from but the home of our immediate destiny.

Travelling by train/tube from London - served by the Jubilee (slower) and Metropolitan (faster) lines.  A  travelcard  for one day is around £12 (zone 4) but much cheaper if you have an Oyster Card.  Despite renovations to the stadium the tube station still enjoys queues like nothing else.  Not horrendous getting out at Wembley Park but try returning to the tube afterwards. 

Parking from the Narf (north) - trains run direct to Wembley Park from Watford again Metropolitan line (but if I am not mistaken would be Zone 6 ticket needed).

Theres also options by train to get to Wembley Central.  I may have tried it once  in all the times I have been there but do know the Bakerloo line stops there.  The advantage though its closer to the pubs than Wembley Park.

For those travelling directly down from Brum then the Chiltern Line stops at Wembley Stadium.

Travelling down by coach it can be an hour plus before coaches move after the match! Okay I suppose if we win, but imagine the frustration if we lose.

Right you have stepped onto the pavement at Wembley - immediately that Cockney "banter" is evident touts selling their "spares" - be careful if you are needy and tempted. 

Make sure you are fed and watered before you reach the ground as it is more expensive than any airport /city on earth.  Only guessing now but the programme  is likely to be a combo one featuring all three play off matches - so not such a great collectors item.

As for the ground itself it is definitely not the ultimate venue but for me anyway not letting sentiment get in the way much improved version from the old  stadium.

A couple of things I have heard about Wembley most feature Club Wembley where "colours" are not allowed - how stupid and how daft.  The stewarding is agency staff so in other words they haven't a scobbie.  You can no longer walk round the ground inside like the old stadium.

A list of pubs has been well publised however there are other options namely Kilburn, Swiss Cottage, Baker Street, Wealdstone.  Have heard people bang on about Camden, don't bother before the game too far out for a late fall out to get to the ground.

I am only luke warm about the stadium but it will do for me if we win there Saturday.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

Re: Wembley in a nutshell
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 02:46:09 PM »
A  travelcard  for one day is around £12 (zone 4) but much cheaper if you have an Oyster Card. 

Contactless payment is even easier. No need to obtain an Oyster card beforehand, just tap your card on the reader.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 04:41:23 PM »
A  travelcard  for one day is around £12 (zone 4) but much cheaper if you have an Oyster Card. 

Contactless payment is even easier. No need to obtain an Oyster card beforehand, just tap your card on the reader.

And make sure you use the same card to tap out.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 01:49:13 PM »
Am I understanding this correctly?

Rather than buy a ticket you tap your debit card at the entry point and again at the station you leave the network on, and it calculates the fair and debits it off the card?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 04:21:49 PM »
Yep. It also works out the cheapest price so saves trying to work out the best option. Just make sure you tap in, and always tap out. Make sure the green light comes on, when leaving Wembley after Liverpool it stayed red but such was the push behind of people behind me I couldn't go back. Fortunately when I got to the other station I spoke to someone there and they said don't worry about it, just don't tap out as you leave this station.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 04:29:05 PM »
Ta

What does it calculate the fare as if you don’t tap out then?

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 04:41:22 PM »
Ta

What does it calculate the fare as if you don’t tap out then?

Charges the maximum fare. Difficult not to tap out in central London because of the electronic barriers at tube stations. The barriers will probably all be open at Wembley though so you’ll need to remember to tap out/back in

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 04:41:37 PM »
It works out the fare at the end of the day, or next day iirc. Also iirc it's maximum price for that route from when you tapped in if you don't tap out. So If you tapped in at the first station on the route and wanted to go 3 stops, if you tap out it will make a note of those 3 stops. If you get off at the third station but don't tap out it will charge you for the entire route,  from the station you tapped in at to the last station.

And obviously always use the same card for the day's travelling in London.

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 04:46:23 PM »
Another useful tip for arrival by tube, the platform at Wembley, unlike almost every other tube  station (I think), has a toilet on it. Saves an agonising dash to the ground or nearest pub if you’re bursting after the tube journey
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 04:48:29 PM by Chico Hamilton III »

Offline BlackCountryVilla

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 07:05:34 PM »
There is also a cap on the day - I forget the amount somewhere around £9 rings a bell - but it is less than a travelcard cost (£12.70).
That means that you can use the tubes and buses all day with the same contactless card and it won't cost the earth.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 01:28:47 PM »
I saw plenty of people failing to tap out at Hillingdon after the game because the side entrance was open (its normally RADAR entry only). There's two card readers by the exit but most people walking out with me ignored them.

If any are on here, it will be interesting to hear what you were charged

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal