collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Play off final - travel recommendations  (Read 4630 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Play off final - travel recommendations
« on: May 17, 2018, 05:30:52 PM »
How are people getting to the final?

I'm travelling from Stourbridge and need to be back either Sat evening or I can stay over but need to get back reasonably early on Sunday.  Trains look like a non starter when you take into account getting across London from Wembley.

Any recommended coach companies? 

Offline Chris Stares

Re: Play off final - travel recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 05:49:33 PM »
Try Zeelo Chris.  They have a relationship with Villa and have various pickup points, including ones in Bromsgrove and Redditch.  My two sons, daughter and I are going to the final with two mates we go to all home games with - one who lives in Worcester like us and the other who lives in Stourbridge.  I've already booked for us to travel from Bromsgrove as its equidistant from both Worcester and Stourbridge.  The 5 of us from Worcester and our mate in Stourbridge are each going to drive and park in Bromsgrove for the day and get the coach to/from Wembley from there.  Assuming no extra time and traffic-permitting they're estimating being back in Bromsgrove by 22.45 (so the ticket says).  Oh, and if you use the code VILLA5 at checkout, you will get a fiver off the cost, the full price of which is the same as the Villa club coach travel from Villa Park at £30 return.

https://zeelo.co/rides/aston-villa/aston-villa-fan-travel-for-the-play-off-final-15124

We decided this would be a much better option than booking seats on a club coach from Villa Park (which I could have done yesterday as there was still availability), given the ball-ache of travelling even just the 30-odd miles from Worcester with the perpetual roadworks on the M5 (Tuesday's game took us 2 hours to get from Worcester to our usual car park in Aston Road!)

I should say we've never used Zeelo before so I hope that we don't end up regretting it, but certainly, the reviews I've read about their service are pretty positive.

Hope this helps.

Offline paulshort293

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 05:53:21 PM »
Hi Chris, are you travelling as part of a group?

Offline Chris Stares

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 05:57:20 PM »
Hi Chris, are you travelling as part of a group?
Which Chris, Paul?  If your question was to me, then only the "group" I mentioned - my two sons, daughter, the mate from Worcester, the mate from Stourbridge and me.  You don't have to book the entire coach with Zeelo, you can just book seats on the services they offer.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 05:58:11 PM »
Thanks Chris I'll look into this.  Have you checked out Bromsgrove parking yet?

Offline paulshort293

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 05:58:51 PM »
Sorry I meant chrisw

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 05:59:41 PM »
Paul - no prob just 1 or 2. 

Coach is probably a good plan.

Offline Chris Stares

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 06:00:47 PM »
Thanks Chris I'll look into this.  Have you checked out Bromsgrove parking yet?
Yes - there's a 300-odd space 24 hour multi-storey car park about 100 yards from the pickup point (Churchfields):

http://www.bromsgrove.gov.uk/my-place/parking/our-car-parks.aspx

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 06:03:57 PM »

I'm travelling from Stourbridge and need to be back either Sat evening or I can stay over but need to get back reasonably early on Sunday.  Trains look like a non starter when you take into account getting across London from Wembley.

Chiltern trains will stop at Wembley and most go back to Stourbridge. If you want a coach PM Clampy about his lot.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 06:08:06 PM »

Chiltern trains will stop at Wembley and most go back to Stourbridge. If you want a coach PM Clampy about his lot.

I was going to suggest our lot but they've filled all four cooches already apparently.

Offline MONCABA

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 07:20:02 PM »
National Express £25 return from Birmingham coach station.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 08:06:37 PM »
Thanks for the input all.

I've booked Big Green Coach which is going direct from Stourbridge - £26

https://www.biggreencoach.co.uk/events/aston-villa-to-wembley-stadium-coach-travel

Offline Leicester_Villian

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 08:49:03 PM »
Chiltern Trains will be putting on trains from Moor St direct to Wembley - just keep checking site

Offline Joe S

• GM : 09.05.2024
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 03:24:34 PM »
Update from Chiltern railways:

Saturday 26th May 2018:

An amended Saturday timetable will operate.

In accordance with the Coventry to Birmingham route being closed due to engineering works, Chiltern Railways services between Marylebone and Birmingham will convey additional carriages.

To double the number of seats and capacity, services will serve Birmingham Moor Street only; no trains will serve Snow Hill. Buses will replace trains between Leamington Spa & Stratford upon Avon and between Hatton & Lapworth.

Additionally, there is a sporting event at Wembley Stadium - The Championship Play Off Final (Aston Villa vs Fulham - 17.00 KO).

An amended timetable will operate for most of the day. In order to free-up resource for additional demand to and from Wembley Stadium, please note that a reduced service of one train per hour will operate on the Marylebone - Amersham - Aylesbury Vale Parkway route for the entire day.

The revised timetables are available as a .pdf

Link:
https://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/sites/default/files/Saturday-26-May-London-HighWycombe-Oxford-Birmingham_0.pdf

Offline Leicester_Villian

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 04:06:04 PM »
Return by train is £30.50 Moor St to wembley Stadium

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal