collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The plan to beat Fulham.  (Read 19183 times)

Offline Zouch Villa

• GM : 12.02.2024
Re: The plan to beat Fulham.
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2018, 04:44:57 PM »
Derby and Blose were able to beat them over 90 minutes, so I don't get all this talking them like they're Barca.  They have some good players, but then so have we.

We need a good disciplined performance, but that doesn't have to mean overly defensive.  Hopefully our players have the talent and experience to deliver on the big stage.

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2018, 04:48:17 PM »
Keep the same defence as last night.Jedi was superb but I think Thor with his greater mobility and superior passing would be a better bet v Fulham.I would replace Hourihane with Snodgrass,stronger and beats players more easily,as well at least as good as Hourihane in shooting and set plays.And 2 wide players in Grabban and Adomah and Kodjia as central striker.This should add more firepower and pace.With that in mind I would put RHM on the bench as a potential wide player.

Offline Jockey Randall

« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2018, 11:45:20 PM »
The positive thing about playing Fulham is we pretty much know how they will play as they seem to only know one way. I think the way to beat them is to press them high and hopefully we will have the mobility and energy in the team to do this over 90 minutes. We gave it a good go at Craven cottage until Elmo got injured and they capitalised after half time. Playing at Wembley will be different though and I'm hoping our more experienced heads will give us the advantage. First goal is always big but I think whoever gets it here will probably go on and win.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2018, 12:52:03 AM »
I can't see Bruce changing the approach from the two Middlesbrough games really.  I think we will allow them to come on to us and try and hit them on the counter attack.  We've probably got enough quality to be able to do that and if a Jedinak plays then we will have enough height to cause them problems at set pieces.  Won't be pretty, but that doesn't matter now. 

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2018, 10:06:47 AM »

The bigger pitch should in theory suit Fulham, more mobile and comfortable with the ball. But it's going to be a hell of an occasion and we will have to be at our best to win.

This is a bit of a myth. Their home form is better than their away form.

Craven cottage is 110 yards by 75 yards
Wembley is 115 yards by 75 yards
Villa Park is 115 yards by 75 yards

Our home form is better than Fulham's away form, so if pitch size did come into it, then playing on a pitch that, bar the odd foot here and there, is identical in size to ours conveys an advantage to us.

Online ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2018, 10:13:14 AM »
Hope they don’t turn up ;)

Offline frank black

« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2018, 11:25:30 AM »
Hope they don’t turn up ;)

Hope we do, unlike the last visit. UTV

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2018, 11:35:26 AM »

The bigger pitch should in theory suit Fulham, more mobile and comfortable with the ball. But it's going to be a hell of an occasion and we will have to be at our best to win.

Our home form is better than Fulham's away form, so if pitch size did come into it, then playing on a pitch that, bar the odd foot here and there, is identical in size to ours conveys an advantage to us.

It's not a "bit of a myth". The Big Wembley Pitch has been one of the biggest myths in football since 1923, right up there with Fanatical Geordies and Sleeping Giants.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2018, 01:47:46 PM »
Just been reading a bit about this Sessegnon , yes his half decent but his a kid, will he handle the big occasion? my reference point being Gascoigne in the spurs v Forest game, build as the Gascoigne final he certainly did not handle the pressure on that basis the more the media talk this kid up the more expectation, the more pressure. also we have a team as well who can play to a plan and we have flare players too. just saying like.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2018, 02:15:52 PM »
I have a cunning plan...

Online simon ward 50

« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2018, 02:27:09 PM »

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2018, 02:38:39 PM »
I have a cunning plan...

You do?

Your going in with that Fulham lot int ya.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2018, 03:15:01 PM »
I can't see Bruce changing the approach from the two Middlesbrough games really.  I think we will allow them to come on to us and try and hit them on the counter attack.  We've probably got enough quality to be able to do that and if a Jedinak plays then we will have enough height to cause them problems at set pieces.  Won't be pretty, but that doesn't matter now. 

I really hope you're wrong and instead we go out there and show them just how good we can be. It also plays into Fulham's hands, having us running around chasing the ball only for them to step it up in the second half, watch our players tire and pick us off at will.

It's a tough question for Bruce, what does he believe in more, his players or his tactics?

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2018, 04:22:13 PM »

It's not a "bit of a myth". The Big Wembley Pitch has been one of the biggest myths in football since 1923, right up there with Fanatical Geordies and Sleeping Giants.

My theory is the cramps suffered in cup finals and other big games there is down to nerves and tension, something that would be less likely in our experienced side than theirs.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2018, 05:19:58 PM »
I have a cunning plan...
Is that the same as a cunning stunt?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal