collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The plan to beat Fulham.  (Read 19322 times)

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
Re: The plan to beat Fulham.
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2018, 01:21:57 PM »
My plan would be to kick lumps out of them and intimidate them from the kick off. In fact, I'd probably start in the tunnel on the way out.

Maybe ram their coach in the car park?

Offline stuart r

• Location: Highley (Home of the Gerry Hitchens Fitness Suite at the local leisure centre- He started his career with Highley Miners Welfare)
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2018, 01:30:42 PM »

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2018, 01:38:30 PM »
1) Tell ISIS that the Fulham players were all saying rude things about the Koran.
2) Poison their lasagna the night before the game.
3) Pay one of their fringe players a bomb load to injure Mitrovic and Sessegnon in training.
4) Change all the directions signs on the route from Fulham to Wembley so their team fail to turn up on time and we win by a walkover.
5) Buy Wembley and refuse to allow their players entry on the day of the match.
6) Stage a coup, take over the legislature and pass new laws barring Fulham from competing in the final.   
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 01:55:41 PM by Richard E »

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2018, 01:53:01 PM »
Okay so a main theme is the control the centre of the pitch which ideally would be ball retention or pressing but it could be simply by keeping compact
Their full backs and wide players can be forceful but stopping balls behind and only allowing crosses from deep would reduce impact of mitrovic in the air.

Most importantly and one thing we can be confident on is the solid defensive unit and this also needs to be case all through team.

A compact defence will force Fulham into frustration and lack of space will allow little in way of chances to play free flowing football.

The balance of the  villa team in defending and attacking could perhaps be dictated by the counter and pressing(something Derby did to great effect in first leg semi).

The lack of ball retention by villa versus Fulham attitude and style is one fear and the most concern. However its also a bonus and played out correctly then  tactically efficiency will be offering up attacks and goal scoring chances for villa more so than Fulham despite the expected ball dominance.

Villa are boss at headed shots and shots assisted from set plays and crosses will be potential for goals.

Playing on the full backs and also center half odoi who is small as well as the lack of height and physicality of some Fulham players joy can be had.

At times the central midfield and passing of Grealish with or without space as he's most adapt in both situations will allow the defensive block of villa to remain but as a offensive move the villa team will use Grealish Snodgrass and Adomah as advancing counter players.

Fulham full-back like to press on and Cairney in the middle with  Mcdonald and Johansen acting as enforcers want to control the match.

In a lot of these situations they may look to switch play or find space out wide or in between midfield. Villa dropping deep or press midfield and keeping close will nullify this.

If we start to see mitrovic coming towards the ball and staying out of area then the discipline must kept to and Midfielder runners going past.

Key is discipline. Villa have pace power strategy and solidarity as well as key experience.

Over awed Fulham would crumble. Any meek play by villa and losing shape and organise can be punished by them as they are efficient in this.

Conversely Bruce keeping a well drilled team and with  the individual quality we have knows that there's a balance of attacking flair, though generally lacking, sheer robust offense, and creation of space in final third to create and score.

Villa will be moving defence to attack either as swift counter (against breaking up Fulham build up) or longer direct balls moving quickly and a controlled measure play moving ball and creating openings (long range shots, corners winning free kicks)

Positives
The organisation. The single most impressive factor in Bruce and coaching team is how he sets up to get the job done.
The players are drilled and know what is expected of them. The tracking back by wide players Albert and snoddy is basically a discipline issue. These 2 know how to defend as well as attack. It may not be their strength but they are both aware they have yo do it and do so.

Jedinak holding.
 Again confident here that he plays the role so effectively. Likely to see him stop high balls or close space by positioning (no dynamic pace) and experience.

Grealish.
 The player who can't be stopped or so we hope / believe.
It's not as simple as stopping him nor is it as simple as give him the ball. In respect to Fulham.

However it can be simplified as much as give him ball at the right times and not only will he bring up the pitch when deep, he'll weight the pass, look for openings and win fouls gaining us continued advantages.

The central defence.
 Magnificent. Yes Chester has occasional lapse on the ball  as does JT in passing out ( rarely) however these 2 are the crux and solid. Player of match performances expected and fittingly either could score in opposition box with a strong presence during set plays.

Concerns
 (which I won't be alone with) are

Isolation of Grabban or who plays ever central striker

Grabban /striker not pressing or alone in pressing

Grealish Snodgrass being marked out of match and not finding required space or enough of ball to bring others in to play and create opportunities .
Midfield moving forward
Defence unnecessary being too deep though in no way a high line is necessary due to pace of some Fulham players and their running off ball we know mitrovic is a centre forward who is not pacey but is powerful and is a box but mixed at hold up play.
His temperment can be suspect but he does have goal scoring ability

Organisation.

Anyway I wrote my thoughts and how see things.

Personally I have mixture of excitement and expectation before yesterday I only saw villa going up now reality is dawning that on the day if not played right then devastatingly promotion is not secured and I would be very upset to be honest.

There's a number of reasons and we will all have them too as to why villa in top league would be beneficial.

However having read with interest would rather win a cup or promotion discussion then say we look back in 12 months after a difficult Prem season then reality has sunk in

I'm firmly of the belief villa are a club looking to progress and resources would allow us to be competitive and tradition seems to dictate we are a Prem team.

I so want this to be sooner rather than later.
I see it like a West ham 2012 when they were the team that was expected to go up, the big club, and they did within the play offs.

All the expectations make it such an important match and Fulham who are a very decent club and team will  be cast as the smaller club and how they play lovely football but it's villa who need the play off win will add to general expectation.

And I not posting now till after the final.(relief to some I imagine)

Warm wishes to all the h and v, the villa family and the holtenders in the sky players and support alike.

This club is wonderful and so are us who follow who ever we are.

Take care all and let's be positive we ve had enough that other rubbish.

I've enjoyed and intrigued all musings on the discussion nice one one and all.

It's our time now so up the villa.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2018, 01:55:14 PM »
I still think my plan is better.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2018, 01:56:15 PM »
We've beaten the top three in the league this season - including Fulham-  so shouldn't be cowed at all.

We have the personnel to find a way, and should have the big-game experience (but then I thought that pre QPR at home and we fluffed our lines).

Wem ber ley is a big pitch, but VP isn't exactly small either, so that shouldn't scramble any gameplan we have. From memory, I don't recall too many sides staging comebacks against the odds there in recent years though.  They used to say that was because of the heaviness of the pitch years ago, but it has been dug up countless times since then.  So first goal yada yada yada.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2018, 01:56:38 PM »
1. Get into them
2. F*ck them off

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2018, 02:29:41 PM »
Some decent subplots to the game, Villa Veterans v Fearless Fulham, Grealish v Cairney, Sessegnon v Hutton.

The bigger pitch should in theory suit Fulham, more mobile and comfortable with the ball. But it's going to be a hell of an occasion and we will have to be at our best to win.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2018, 02:54:46 PM »
We've beaten the top three in the league this season - including Fulham-  so shouldn't be cowed at all.

We have the personnel to find a way, and should have the big-game experience (but then I thought that pre QPR at home and we fluffed our lines).

Wem ber ley is a big pitch, but VP isn't exactly small either, so that shouldn't scramble any gameplan we have. From memory, I don't recall too many sides staging comebacks against the odds there in recent years though.  They used to say that was because of the heaviness of the pitch years ago, but it has been dug up countless times since then.  So first goal yada yada yada.

Pitch is same size as Villa Park and meets the UEFA standards whereas Craven Cottage is smaller. It should be like playing at home.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2018, 03:06:56 PM »
1) Tell ISIS that the Fulham players were all saying rude things about the Koran.
2) Poison their lasagna the night before the game.
3) Pay one of their fringe players a bomb load to injure Mitrovic and Sessegnon in training.
4) Change all the directions signs on the route from Fulham to Wembley so their team fail to turn up on time and we win by a walkover.
5) Buy Wembley and refuse to allow their players entry on the day of the match.
6) Stage a coup, take over the legislature and pass new laws barring Fulham from competing in the final.   

Point 5 is actually Fulham's plan for us isn't it.  That's what Shahid Kahn wanted to buy it.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2018, 03:20:33 PM »
I still think my plan is better.

It's definitely shorter.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2018, 03:23:42 PM »
Okay so a main theme is the control the centre of the pitch which ideally would be ball retention or pressing but it could be simply by keeping compact
Their full backs and wide players can be forceful but stopping balls behind and only allowing crosses from deep would reduce impact of mitrovic in the air.

Most importantly and one thing we can be confident on is the solid defensive unit and this also needs to be case all through team.

A compact defence will force Fulham into frustration and lack of space will allow little in way of chances to play free flowing football.

The balance of the  villa team in defending and attacking could perhaps be dictated by the counter and pressing(something Derby did to great effect in first leg semi).

The lack of ball retention by villa versus Fulham attitude and style is one fear and the most concern. However its also a bonus and played out correctly then  tactically efficiency will be offering up attacks and goal scoring chances for villa more so than Fulham despite the expected ball dominance.

Villa are boss at headed shots and shots assisted from set plays and crosses will be potential for goals.

Playing on the full backs and also center half odoi who is small as well as the lack of height and physicality of some Fulham players joy can be had.

At times the central midfield and passing of Grealish with or without space as he's most adapt in both situations will allow the defensive block of villa to remain but as a offensive move the villa team will use Grealish Snodgrass and Adomah as advancing counter players.

Fulham full-back like to press on and Cairney in the middle with  Mcdonald and Johansen acting as enforcers want to control the match.

In a lot of these situations they may look to switch play or find space out wide or in between midfield. Villa dropping deep or press midfield and keeping close will nullify this.

If we start to see mitrovic coming towards the ball and staying out of area then the discipline must kept to and Midfielder runners going past.

Key is discipline. Villa have pace power strategy and solidarity as well as key experience.

Over awed Fulham would crumble. Any meek play by villa and losing shape and organise can be punished by them as they are efficient in this.

Conversely Bruce keeping a well drilled team and with  the individual quality we have knows that there's a balance of attacking flair, though generally lacking, sheer robust offense, and creation of space in final third to create and score.

Villa will be moving defence to attack either as swift counter (against breaking up Fulham build up) or longer direct balls moving quickly and a controlled measure play moving ball and creating openings (long range shots, corners winning free kicks)

Positives
The organisation. The single most impressive factor in Bruce and coaching team is how he sets up to get the job done.
The players are drilled and know what is expected of them. The tracking back by wide players Albert and snoddy is basically a discipline issue. These 2 know how to defend as well as attack. It may not be their strength but they are both aware they have yo do it and do so.

Jedinak holding.
 Again confident here that he plays the role so effectively. Likely to see him stop high balls or close space by positioning (no dynamic pace) and experience.

Grealish.
 The player who can't be stopped or so we hope / believe.
It's not as simple as stopping him nor is it as simple as give him the ball. In respect to Fulham.

However it can be simplified as much as give him ball at the right times and not only will he bring up the pitch when deep, he'll weight the pass, look for openings and win fouls gaining us continued advantages.

The central defence.
 Magnificent. Yes Chester has occasional lapse on the ball  as does JT in passing out ( rarely) however these 2 are the crux and solid. Player of match performances expected and fittingly either could score in opposition box with a strong presence during set plays.

Concerns
 (which I won't be alone with) are

Isolation of Grabban or who plays ever central striker

Grabban /striker not pressing or alone in pressing

Grealish Snodgrass being marked out of match and not finding required space or enough of ball to bring others in to play and create opportunities .
Midfield moving forward
Defence unnecessary being too deep though in no way a high line is necessary due to pace of some Fulham players and their running off ball we know mitrovic is a centre forward who is not pacey but is powerful and is a box but mixed at hold up play.
His temperment can be suspect but he does have goal scoring ability

Organisation.

Anyway I wrote my thoughts and how see things.

Personally I have mixture of excitement and expectation before yesterday I only saw villa going up now reality is dawning that on the day if not played right then devastatingly promotion is not secured and I would be very upset to be honest.

There's a number of reasons and we will all have them too as to why villa in top league would be beneficial.

However having read with interest would rather win a cup or promotion discussion then say we look back in 12 months after a difficult Prem season then reality has sunk in

I'm firmly of the belief villa are a club looking to progress and resources would allow us to be competitive and tradition seems to dictate we are a Prem team.

I so want this to be sooner rather than later.
I see it like a West ham 2012 when they were the team that was expected to go up, the big club, and they did within the play offs.

All the expectations make it such an important match and Fulham who are a very decent club and team will  be cast as the smaller club and how they play lovely football but it's villa who need the play off win will add to general expectation.

And I not posting now till after the final.(relief to some I imagine)

Warm wishes to all the h and v, the villa family and the holtenders in the sky players and support alike.

This club is wonderful and so are us who follow who ever we are.

Take care all and let's be positive we ve had enough that other rubbish.

I've enjoyed and intrigued all musings on the discussion nice one one and all.

It's our time now so up the villa.

Can we get that in an infographic or meme?

I am silly and selfish (as I learned yesterday).  And also a bit thick.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2018, 04:14:28 PM »
My plan would be to kick lumps out of them and intimidate them from the kick off. In fact, I'd probably start in the tunnel on the way out.

Maybe ram their coach in the car park?

Sounds more suited to Derby.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2018, 04:32:16 PM »
Bloody hell Footyskilz that was epic! ill have to read it again, but you've convinced me.

I would like us to play two attackers, and sacrifice Hourihane. As I see Grabban and Kodj on there own and think whats the point there just there as token figures. but with a player playing closer to them then we would be more of a threat, then I think Onomah certainly got the legs and I think would be more of a link from midfield to lone striker.

you can see why im not a football manager.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2018, 04:35:29 PM »
I'd think about trying to play either Grabban centrally and Kodjia left, or vice versa.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal