collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Middlesbrough Post-Match Thread  (Read 36411 times)

Offline AsTallAsLions

Re: Aston Villa vs Middlesbrough Post-Match Thread
« Reply #135 on: May 16, 2018, 07:13:27 AM »
Jedinak’s best two games in a Villa shirt.

Agreed. Jedi, Hutton, Chester, Terry all immense.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #136 on: May 16, 2018, 07:28:29 AM »
I missed the first ten minutes as it took two and a half hours to get 29 miles last night but thought Boro were the more dangerous side fin what I saw of the first half. The best move of the night was ours which should have seen Grabban score at very lose range. Other than that, we didn't create too much although Jack's effort deserved to go in. Brilliant game management for the semis but a different approach needed for the big one.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2018, 07:52:37 AM »
Hmm, direct 12 hour flights leaving Tokyo on the 24th, flying back on the 27th are just under £900.

Villa or prolonged marriage? That is the quandary.
There are plenty of fish in the sea. 😜

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #138 on: May 16, 2018, 07:54:12 AM »
I'd drank more than I thought. Had a bit of a hangover when I woke up.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #139 on: May 16, 2018, 08:22:05 AM »
Bruce got the tactics spot on in both legs and the experienced players came to the fore.

Snodgrass in particular worked his knackers off last night.

Apart from Weasel hitting the bar, the longer it went on the more I thought we looked like the team most likely to score.

There is no reason at all why we can't beat Fulham.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #140 on: May 16, 2018, 08:25:17 AM »
Highlights
Having seen the highlights, was Johnstone's arm definitely outside the area anyway? Even when the free kick hit the bar, he may have had it covered. Or am I just biased.

I wasn't sure how Steve Bruce would handle a 1-0 lead going into the home leg but can't complain, except for the persistence with only one striker which creates defensive problems of its own as one striker is no outlet when the pressure is on.

McCafu needs to be signed up for another year. A revelation on the left.

He should have been sent off

Jack could have been off as well if his tackle had connected

Ref was inconsistent (eg Hutton being booked just after Shotten was let off for basically the same offence).

George Friend was lucky to only get a yellow for his challenge on Johnstone in the first half.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #141 on: May 16, 2018, 08:49:44 AM »
My only disappointment.

we didn't get to sing,

There's only one Tiny p

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #142 on: May 16, 2018, 09:06:47 AM »
On talk shite after the game Boro fans were raging about Pulis and his negative ways.
It's hard not to sympathise with them.

Whole team made up for lesser quality in possesion with absolute guts and determination. They were warriors for the cause out there.

Special mention for James Bree. Came in for the biggest game of his life and did not let himself or the team down.

2 stand out moves that would have produced outstanding goals.
1st half alovely bit of movement ending with an Albert cross to the on rushing Hourihanne and but for a world class block would have scored.
The 2nd half and the move from the edge of our own box for the Grabban chance.

Also a mention for the fans. At 75 mins it was tense and the fans responded with all 4 sides in loud unison. It was deafening and gave the players the injection to see out the game.

Fulham - I think Bruce has to be tough and brave and change Jedinak for either Barney or Whelan as we now need mobility rather than power.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #143 on: May 16, 2018, 09:14:16 AM »
The pitch invasion was utterly embarrassing.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #144 on: May 16, 2018, 09:24:00 AM »
The pitch invasion was utterly embarrassing.

Agree, can only hope that the club or even better the police had cctv on the few utter imbeciles who took it as a chance to run in front of the Boro fans goading them - not only lacking class but cowardly in the extreme being billy big balls behind a line of stewards - hopefully they will be denied access to final tickets & get a stadium ban - we don’t need those fans

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #145 on: May 16, 2018, 09:25:49 AM »
From the Boro forum:

"The atmosphere tonight was almost literally deafening, which anyone who goes away regularly will tell you is rare"

"At times the noise was hurting my ears. I've been going away a long time and that was loud"

"Agree with the OP. It was deafening"

Beautiful. Well done boys and girls. I hoped at half time everyone could shake the nerves and roar them over the line and we did. It sounds cheesy and cliche but attacking a packed Holte really does make a difference, it implores the players to attack and bays for a goal. Agree with Ads, you could tell second half the ground was on the verge of exploding if we'd scored.
Loved the rallying atmosphere last 15 minutes aswell. The claret and blue army chants all around the ground were superb.

Offline dorsetvillian

• GM : PCM
« Reply #146 on: May 16, 2018, 09:26:23 AM »
We never do it easy! I thought we looked nervous first half but better team second. It would have been great to hear the noise if we had managed to score near the end. Great day out with my lad, who I hope I will share a Wembley victory with. UTV

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #147 on: May 16, 2018, 09:44:24 AM »
I thought Pulis was magnanimous in his post-match interview, saying we were the better team and deserved to go through.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #148 on: May 16, 2018, 09:44:27 AM »
If we'd scored in the second half I don't think you could even begin to imagine what the noise and scenes would have been like, even in the Upper Trinity it was a powder keg waiting to erupt.  Mind you not that the bloke sat to my left would have noticed, absolutely wasted and in charge of 2 kids aged about 5 each, great parenting Dad!

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #149 on: May 16, 2018, 10:02:57 AM »
If you were a neutral watching that you'd probably say it was never really at risk.

It was unbelievably fucking tense though. There was a point with ten minutes or so to go where the whole ground erupted in deafening noise in support which was spine tingling.

I went to a gig at the Sunflower and got into Snobs with about ten minutes of the match left. The support sounded amazing and I was surprised when I read on here that it seemed quiet for most of the match.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal