collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Roll the Press-es  (Read 3435 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Roll the Press-es
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2018, 10:19:49 AM »
Yes, Bruce said it and our Statto, PWS, has confirmed it.

Was Carbone on-loan? If so, our best one imo. Think he was one of Jack's early heroes too.

I'd really love to know what the big attraction was with Carbone. He was another fanny merchant who looked world-class on the halfway line where it didn't matter and suffered from altitude sickness the higher up the pitch he went.

I suspect it was because he almost single-handedly got us to the FA cup final that year.

You mean when scored a hat-trick against Leeds. Not when he got sent off at Goodison in quarter final?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2018, 11:00:13 AM »
Yes, Bruce said it and our Statto, PWS, has confirmed it.

Was Carbone on-loan? If so, our best one imo. Think he was one of Jack's early heroes too.

I'd really love to know what the big attraction was with Carbone. He was another fanny merchant who looked world-class on the halfway line where it didn't matter and suffered from altitude sickness the higher up the pitch he went.

I suspect it was because he almost single-handedly got us to the FA cup final that year.

You mean when scored a hat-trick against Leeds. Not when he got sent off at Goodison in quarter final?

Not just the hat-trick although that was clearly the biggest impact he had.  Before he got sent off I seem to remember he scored the winner against Everton (and wasn't the sending off in the last few minutes?) and he got one in the 3rd or 4th round as well I think.

It's a while back, and I've had a lot of beer and 2 kids since, but I just remember him being great in the cup that season (and pretty average in the league).  As Risso says though, the simple fact is that he was a spark of something different in a very workmanlike team and whilst he rarely set the place alight he was always exciting.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2018, 11:13:46 AM »
Flattered to deceive would be my kindest description. All his eye-catching work seemed to be in the areas where it didn't matter; he'd show some wonderful skill in the centre circle but the opposition penalty area was a no-go zone. He must have made a fortune in signing-on fees though.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2018, 12:57:16 PM »
David James single-handedly got us to the 2000 FA Cup Final*

*and then single-handedly lost it for us, not that I shall be bitter until the day I die or anything.   

Offline Simon Page

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2018, 01:02:13 PM »
Franz Carr is still the original and best FA Cup hero of the colour TV years.

Carbone wasn't consistent enough nor as good as he thought he was. I'd imagine Wednesday fans may remember him more kindly (until the contract dispute that landed him at our door) but he achieved remarkably little in his career. Exciting if you caught him on the right day, but for me he's one of those flair players thought of as world class at clubs who don't win things.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2018, 03:55:26 PM »
Milner under DOL was a good loan signing too

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal