collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Roll the Press-es  (Read 3434 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.

Offline ez

Re: Roll the Press-es
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 11:29:40 AM »
I don't know if it's accurate or not but i read somewhere that we are the 10th best supported club in England this season based on home attendances.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 11:40:51 AM »
Yes, Bruce said it and our Statto, PWS, has confirmed it.

Was Carbone on-loan? If so, our best one imo. Think he was one of Jack's early heroes too.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 11:51:15 AM »

Was Carbone on-loan? If so, our best one imo. Think he was one of Jack's early heroes too.

I'd really love to know what the big attraction was with Carbone. He was another fanny merchant who looked world-class on the halfway line where it didn't matter and suffered from altitude sickness the higher up the pitch he went.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 12:15:11 PM »

I'd really love to know what the big attraction was with Carbone. He was another fanny merchant who looked world-class on the halfway line where it didn't matter and suffered from altitude sickness the higher up the pitch he went.

I suspect it was because he almost single-handedly got us to the FA cup final that year.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 12:17:29 PM »

I suspect it was because he almost single-handedly got us to the FA cup final that year.

Including looking world class from the halfway line when he smashed the ball past Nigel Martyn.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 12:20:53 PM »

I must have missed that one. I remember him throwing a tantrum when he got subbed in the semi, though. "Carbone retired with the dignity of a three-year-old being led past the sweet counter at Tesco, flinging down his headband and kicking the trainer's bucket."

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 01:51:10 PM »
IMO Carbone was like Merson, very good at times, but rarely against good sides or in big matches. One thing you have to say about Gabby is that he did it against the best in the country on a pretty regular basis.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 02:06:20 PM »
Gabby is such a polarizing figure, but in an odd way not normally associated with polarizing figures you can actually be comfortable on both sides of the debate. You can appreciate what he was in his early days, the adulation that Jack gets for being from the academy, the unbelievable potential and the form and goals that led him to be one of the most feared strikers, certainly in terms of searing pace in the PL for a very short period of time. He scored some of the most valuable goals in my Villa memory at crucial times against big teams. He was also a consistent cherished visitor and club ambassador at Acorns, something that helped many there and that impact should never be diminished.

Then there is what became of him and his association with some of our worst memories in our modern history. He embodied the malaise at the club, and the lack of fucks given as it all came crumbling down. Whereas some might have expected him to be the one to lead the charge and care the most about its decline instead he contributed mightily to it. Instead of grabbing its hand on the edge of the cliff he laughed as he helped push it over the edge.

I'm happy and sad its over for all of the obvious reasons.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 02:39:22 PM »
Done.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 03:08:52 PM »
Harsh on Carbone, without him we wouldn't have got to Wembley and Merson aside, we struggled with creativity from other outlets (Hendrie suffering from injuries and a first difficult spell since breaking through and others like Stone and Thompson functional rather than exciting) so Carbone was a breath of fresh air enough of the time, flounces aside.

Offline Fingers

• GM : 30.01.2025
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2018, 07:19:26 PM »

"Fanny merchant" - love this term!  My old man used to use it about players too.  Is it a Brummie phrase?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 08:20:45 PM »
Harsh on Carbone, without him we wouldn't have got to Wembley and Merson aside, we struggled with creativity from other outlets (Hendrie suffering from injuries and a first difficult spell since breaking through and others like Stone and Thompson functional rather than exciting) so Carbone was a breath of fresh air enough of the time, flounces aside.

Quite right.  He was just one of those players I enjoyed watching play, he just made the game look very easy.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2018, 12:05:26 AM »
He’s one of those players who you loved or not so much hated but didn’t like that much. I get both sides. He did score some great goals though and if there ever was a ‘toys out of the pram’ type player it was most certainly him.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 09:21:30 AM »
Spot on again Dave I met Gabby after the game and wished him luck for the future.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal