collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by AV82EC
[Today at 11:16:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 11:11:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:07:39 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 11:05:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Richard E
[Today at 11:00:08 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:58:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Derby County Post-Match Thread  (Read 13128 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Aston Villa vs Derby County Post-Match Thread
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2018, 06:02:47 PM »

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2018, 06:04:44 PM »
Was amazed we actually scored. Seemed one of those destined not to hit the net afternoons, post and crossbar hit, Derby defenders threw themselves into every shot and Hourihane somehow missed from 5 yards.

First 20 minutes were poor. If we play Derby again in the play offs we need to play three centrally or get Jedinak man marking Tom Lawrence as he was constantly running at Terry-Chester with no-one picking him up.

Good job Hutton's fit again as Taylor showed today he can't be trusted in the play offs.

Suppose one way of looking at things is hopefully we've missed all these chances today rather than v Boro or in the final. We didn't play well for the first hour and yet created 6-7 great chances.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2018, 06:09:25 PM »
That was a really enjoyable game, the atmosphere in the ground as we kept on somehow failing to score was agonising.

Derby defended very well, but at the same time were very fortunate to get a point.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2018, 06:11:30 PM »
Curtis Davies was excellent I thought, dealt with Grabban and the Kodjia pretty well in the duels.

Shame he wasn't good enough to be a top 6 premier league defender but he's certainly more than good enough at this level.

Our intensity was off first half, passing it too slowly around. You could see Derby had more to play for.

Difficult game to judge today I think.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2018, 06:16:21 PM »
If we play Derby again in the play offs we need to play three centrally or get Jedinak man marking Tom Lawrence as he was constantly running at Terry-Chester with no-one picking him up.

Lawrence seems a cracking little player and couldn't believe Rowett took him off. He's far too skillful and quick for Jedinak to take care of. Derby were very well organised playing 5 across the back rather than the usual three. That said, I doubt very much we will play Derby again this season.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2018, 06:29:17 PM »
Totally agree, thought Lawrence was their best player by a mile, was amazed (and grateful) when they took him off.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2018, 06:44:08 PM »
Derby are a reasonably compact team but nothing else. Tom Lawrence is poor man's Jack Grealish. We were in total control for the majority of the game and could hand should have scored about 4. However I am quite happy to have had a game like this today and not the play offs. If we meet Derby, there is no danger, we will beat them.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2018, 06:46:35 PM »
Why did Bruce start Taylor? A liability from the start. Thankfully Hutton replaced him. Got to start Hutton every time now. Also, no point in Whelan the DM role. Onomah should've started all day long.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2018, 06:50:11 PM »
Kodjia must be so frustrated right now having come very close a few times in recent weeks. Something tells me though he’s about to explode and I think the combination of him with Grabban will play a massive role in the playoffs.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2018, 06:53:28 PM »
Why did Bruce start Taylor? A liability from the start. Thankfully Hutton replaced him. Got to start Hutton every time now. Also, no point in Whelan the DM role. Onomah should've started all day long.
Totally agree with all your points. We were much better and more mobile once Onomah replaced "Grandad".

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2018, 06:54:12 PM »
Onomah has upped it past few weeks. Certainly in contention for Boro.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2018, 06:55:32 PM »
Kodjia must be so frustrated right now having come very close a few times in recent weeks. Something tells me though he’s about to explode and I think the combination of him with Grabban will play a massive role in the playoffs.

The positive for me today was he may not have scored but was getting into those goal scoring positions. Right now I'll take that.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2018, 07:03:33 PM »
Onomah has upped it past few weeks. Certainly in contention for Boro.

I like Onomah, played in the right role he adds drive to our midfield.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2018, 07:05:41 PM »
Came away from Villa Park earlier wondering how we hadn't won that.  We gifted them a goal and apart from that they didn't really threaten too often.  Hutton did well when he came on, I thought Whelan had another decent enough game and Snodgrass looked a bit more of a threat today. 

Going forward, I think it might be time for Kodjia to come back in and Grabban to move out left where he seems pretty comfortable.  I would also look at Onomah coming in for Hourihane as he gives that extra bit of energy and drive in midfield.

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2018, 07:06:21 PM »
Thoroughly enjoyed that. Great game of football which we deserved to win - missed chances and hit the bar in the first half, Hourihane shanked one from 6 yards out and Kodjia hit the post in the second, and when we finally scored it had been a long time coming. Thought everyone played well except Taylor, who gifted their goal - was he taken off because he was injured or because he was a liability? Their game plan was to contain us/ defend in numbers, especially after they scored, then hit us on the break, which they do very quickly - something we'd need to be wary of if we get them in the play-offs. Great to see the Upper Trinity open and full again as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal