collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: New technical kit partnership announced - LUKE 1977 & Fanatics  (Read 212302 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: New technical kit partnership announced - LUKE 1977 & Fanatics
« Reply #555 on: July 09, 2018, 12:32:21 PM »
The away kit is very nice. The home kit is just a little different to what I expected but still Aston Villa. We’ve had style changes in the past and this one is a bit retro mixed in with an eye to a younger generation. Either way it was never going please everyone but I think for the most part as combination home and away is quite good. Now as always need the team to win games.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #556 on: July 09, 2018, 12:35:52 PM »
Got to say I like it. Especially the home shirt.
But I’m not one for micro analysis.
It looks the part. I’ll buy one. That’s it isn’t it?

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #557 on: July 09, 2018, 12:36:25 PM »
The home kit reminds me so much of the 83/84 version that I half expected Steve McMahon to be modelling it.

Offline johnny from donny

« Reply #558 on: July 09, 2018, 12:39:24 PM »
Wanted to like them, but I don't.

Offline Dazvillain

« Reply #559 on: July 09, 2018, 12:42:58 PM »

Love the ethos and design thought gone into them but for someone that has mentioned so much about colours, it’s disappointing to see lack of blue on home sleeves although better to have blue socks again.
Away...nice design and layout again but that trim would have Been so much better to be proper claret /and or blue..... it looks much nearer red !?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 02:26:01 PM by Dazvillain »

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #560 on: July 09, 2018, 12:46:42 PM »
I think they've missed a trick not having the arms in blue but other than that, I like them.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #561 on: July 09, 2018, 12:47:34 PM »
The club is becoming less and less recognizable.

In what way?

Still called Aston Villa, yes
Still play at Villa Park, yes
Still play in claret and blue, yes
Still underachieving, yes

There's literally nothing changed with the club at all. Other than we're in the Championship for the third successive season.

Why do people feel the need to be overly dramatic all the time?
I don’t feel a need.
I am expressing an opinion.
You should read some Orwell.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #562 on: July 09, 2018, 12:55:40 PM »
I do like it, but think it would look awesome with blue sleeves.  However, my 18 yr old son thinks it "sick" and that's more the target than a 50 yr old with advancing waistline!

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #563 on: July 09, 2018, 01:07:52 PM »
Better than I expected and from the club's point of view will sell both the home and the away strips.

Offline somec

• GM : 01.08.2020
« Reply #564 on: July 09, 2018, 01:21:53 PM »
Both kits look very smart. Not having claret sleeves for one season is nothing to get upset about. We never did in the 57 final, 94 or 2000 to name a few and they were all proper Villa shirts.

The 57 shirts were change strips. We had them as an away kit the next season, not a home kit. The 94 and 2000 shirts were abominations.

Hence why I said final. It’s all down to personal preference. I grew up with that 90s team so have fond memories of those strips. Those who are a bit older remember the early 80s and want to play in replicas of those shirts until the end of time.

I first attended a game in 1988, so the nineties provide my happiest memories, too.

I'd still rather we had stuck to our traditional design, as I consider it part of our identity. Arsenal won't be ditching their white sleeves. Celtic won't be playing in all green. AC Milan won't be trotting out in red and black hoops.

People may well think it's a nice shirt. Maybe it is. It isn't a Villa shirt, though.
We have changed our shirt design more than most though - I just had a look through and its surprising how many times we have moved away from the standard template. I think the colours of claret and blue are more synonymous than the design.
I don't think it hurts for a season or two, I imagine a lot of the positivity is due to it being something different.

Not picking bones but haven't Arsenal dropped their white sleeves a couple of times? seem to remember Henry playing in an all claret kit for one season!

There was a particular reason for that - they were celebrating a centenary or something and in honour of that they reverted to the strip they were wearing back in the day.  Apart from that there have been maybe one or two instances where the white on the sleeves has been reduced or minimal but generally they have stuck with the same format since the 60s at least.

Arsenal claimed the redcurrent special shirt for the last season at highbury was the same colour as the one they wore during their first season at Highbury.

However this was later proved to be total bollox and simply a marketing ploy to sell more shirts.

As for our new kits, although I prefer a blue sleeve I quite like the home shirt and really like the away shirt.

The last Villa shirt without blue sleeves was the one sponsored by Ntl which I recall we wore for the first time on the last day of the season before, if you know what I I'm saying, when we  relegated Coventry with that Merson wonder strike.

Offline exigo

« Reply #565 on: July 09, 2018, 01:40:39 PM »
Screw "we wanted to take back control for the fans", how about designing something that looks like a Villa home shirt? Hate the stripes, and that colour

Hate the colour ??? it's about the first time we've had a claret shirt in decades surely

If you'd bothered to quote the full sentence, you'd understand that's not what I said.

Offline remy

• Claret & Blue Flag ALWAYS flapping
« Reply #566 on: July 09, 2018, 01:46:01 PM »
Disappointed yet again. Wanted darker claret and sky blue sleeves. Looks a bit 1980's to me, don't like the stripes either. Wont be spending £50 on that.

So let's recap :

Owner doesn't know how to run a football club
Massively in debt
Can't buy new players
No football business acumen at board level
Hate the new kit
Languishing in the 2nd tier

Another car crash of an era following AVFC.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #567 on: July 09, 2018, 01:52:16 PM »
I quite like it but a bit more blue would've been better, I can see what he was trying to do though and there's lots of really nice little details.

Offline Martin Carruthers

« Reply #568 on: July 09, 2018, 01:58:00 PM »
Barcelona had a hooped shirt a few years ago, didn't do them any harm. I like it.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #569 on: July 09, 2018, 01:58:49 PM »
Disappointed yet again. Wanted darker claret and sky blue sleeves. Looks a bit 1980's to me, don't like the stripes either. Wont be spending £50 on that.

So let's recap :

Owner doesn't know how to run a football club
Massively in debt
Can't buy new players
No football business acumen at board level
Hate the new kit
Languishing in the 2nd tier

Another car crash of an era following AVFC.

Claret & Blue Flag Always Flapping though! ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal