collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: New technical kit partnership announced - LUKE 1977 & Fanatics  (Read 211020 times)

Offline AsTallAsLions

Re: New technical kit partnership announced - LUKE 1977 & Fanatics
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2018, 02:35:27 PM »
Let's hope we're not just a tad naive about the fact he's a Villa fan.

He's a bloke and he designs stuff. People will still love it or hate it; who he supports isn't really relevant.

Pretty much this.

Not really, if you asked most people on here, or any other fan site, what a villa kit should look like you'd get fairly similar answers:

proper claret body (not some pinky purple)
blue sleeves
white shorts
and a disagreement over the socks (blue for me)

Given he's a fan he'll know those 'rules'.  That doesn't mean he'll feel obliged to follow them but if he chooses not to it it won't be through ignorance, that's the real difference.

We've had several kits in recent times that fit those criteria but were naff. The physical quality of it also counts, but you haven't included that.

Offline Tuscans

• GM : 08.02.15
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2018, 02:36:44 PM »
All I care about is do we have a trillion pounds from this deal?

Offline frank black

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2018, 02:40:58 PM »
Go for it Luke, Paisley print would be rather fetching.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2018, 02:46:35 PM »
I hope its better than this amateur team that they sponsor in Surrey:

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2018, 03:00:45 PM »

He's a bloke and he designs stuff. People will still love it or hate it; who he supports isn't really relevant.

Pretty much this.

Not really, if you asked most people on here, or any other fan site, what a villa kit should look like you'd get fairly similar answers:

blue sleeves
white shorts

Given he's a fan he'll know those 'rules'.  That doesn't mean he'll feel obliged to follow them but if he chooses not to it it won't be through ignorance, that's the real difference.

We've had several kits in recent times that fit those criteria but were naff. The physical quality of it also counts, but you haven't included that.

because I didn't think it was necessary as I'd said earlier in the thread that a design label isn't going to sign off on something shitty carrying their brand because the complaints could ruin their reputation.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2018, 03:02:14 PM »
Is this Luke character the new Ciro Citterio?

No, he's Walsall's Gianni Versace.  Wait til you see the away kit

Have you seen it?

Offline bodkins14

« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2018, 03:49:30 PM »
Let me guess lovely shirt but skinny fit so us normals won't get the opportunity to wear it

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2018, 03:59:35 PM »
"With Fanatics' technical expertise on board, the partnership expands and enhances Villa’s retail offering to its vast, global fanbase. The club’s merchandise will continue to be showcased in the Villa Park store and on-line"

Thank God for that. I was getting worried that Villa would be expanding their retail offering to its vast, global fanbase and not showcasing its merchandise in the Villa store and online. 

Offline stuart445

« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2018, 04:00:01 PM »

Pretty much this.

blue sleeves
white shorts

So basically have the same design that we have had for what 17 years straight?   Personally i want to see a different design.  Things need freshening up so it's time to change the tired old design.  Obviously the same colours,  but how much longer can it be justified to charge premium for what is near enough the same design it's been since around 2001.

Offline stuart445

« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2018, 04:05:17 PM »
Let me guess lovely shirt but skinny fit so us normals won't get the opportunity to wear it

With football shirts getting ever skinnier i think it'd be nice to see the club / manufacturer adopt what Wasps do with their kit, They have a Authentic Top with is the same fit as the players but is tighter than your own skin,  but they also have a replica Top which is a looser fit so the average fan can have a shirt that fits.

Offline Stinkin_Thinkin

« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2018, 04:18:50 PM »
I'm hoping it's 100% cotton with natural dyes.

I sweat like a £$%^^& in these  polyester football shirts.

Online paul_e

« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2018, 04:28:00 PM »

Pretty much this.

blue sleeves
white shorts

So basically have the same design that we have had for what 17 years straight?   Personally i want to see a different design.  Things need freshening up so it's time to change the tired old design.  Obviously the same colours,  but how much longer can it be justified to charge premium for what is near enough the same design it's been since around 2001.

nope, basically the same design we've had for 120 years (I'm ignoring the really early stuff because, like all clubs, we were some really weird shit in the 1870s and early 1880s).  In all that time we've had about 20 seasons where those 'rules' don't apply.  You still have lots of room to play with the design though. Aside from that how many of those kits had complaints about the claret being the wrong colour?

What I expect to see, and this is just a guess, is something that leans more towards the '82 kit with the blue side panels and the v-neck (but with some twist to it), that's not based on anything other than an expectation that part of the brief here will be about reconnecting with fans and a homage to that shirt would be a very good step in that direction.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2018, 04:30:51 PM »
So now we're arguing about how shit a design it is before we've even seen it.

Online paul_e

« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2018, 04:37:03 PM »
So now we're arguing about how shit a design it is before we've even seen it.

Has anyone said anything about it being shit? There's a few comments about shirts getting 'skinnier' and stuart decided to disagree about what most fans would want the basic design to be but I can't see anyone saying it's going to be shit.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2018, 04:40:26 PM »
He did say 'personally' he'd like to see a different design. Don't see a problem with that point of view really.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal