collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The play offs.  (Read 105954 times)

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: The play offs.
« Reply #225 on: April 26, 2018, 05:15:14 AM »
The other bit about being down here is that it's all fun and games while we've got the biggest budget by a country mile due to parachute payments but ask Leeds, Forest, and Wednesday fans how much fun it is when the financial playing field is level.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #226 on: April 26, 2018, 10:37:12 AM »
It's not so much the winning games that has made it better for me. It's just felt more like 'old football'. It feels like anyone can do well in this league. Yes , there are teams like us and Wolves with a financial advantage (for now) but then there are many other teams that just get themselves in the frame by building a good team spirit and a 'style' of playing (good or bad) that gathers points and momentum.

Sometimes you even get a team that comes from League 1 & goes right through to the Premiership in a single season. This league has a completely different way about it that makes it anybody's for the taking. It ebbs and flows, teams have good runs, fall way, come back. Wolves were pretty much run away winners this season but even they got hauled back to within a few points and there were moments when it wasn't so certain.

I watch the odd Premier League game now and I have no sense of yearning for it at all. It looks plastic and distant. I want us to get promoted because a club with an infrastructure as big as ours would really struggle if we stay down too long, & a realistic chance of a trophy would be good, but if we go up, it wouldn't make me look forward to next season with any extra excitement.

In many ways, it'll be a bit sad if we won the play offs because I think whoever we beat would be more excited to win than I would. I remember being at Cardiff with Preston when they got beaten by West Ham, & I remember that the West Ham fans didn't seem as elated as PNE would have been. Now I get why.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #227 on: April 26, 2018, 10:41:37 AM »
The other bit about being down here is that it's all fun and games while we've got the biggest budget by a country mile due to parachute payments but ask Leeds, Forest, and Wednesday fans how much fun it is when the financial playing field is level.

Brentford and Fulham have shown in the past couple of years that you can have a good season on a relatively small budget.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #228 on: April 26, 2018, 10:44:53 AM »

Brentford and Fulham have shown in the past couple of years that you can have a good season on a relatively small budget.

Of course, there is a common denominator involved in that dynamic - namely, both of those clubs have a very good manager at the helm.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #229 on: April 26, 2018, 10:47:31 AM »
It's not so much the winning games that has made it better for me. It's just felt more like 'old football'. It feels like anyone can do well in this league. Yes , there are teams like us and Wolves with a financial advantage (for now) but then there are many other teams that just get themselves in the frame by building a good team spirit and a 'style' of playing (good or bad) that gathers points and momentum.

Sometimes you even get a team that comes from League 1 & goes right through to the Premiership in a single season. This league has a completely different way about it that makes it anybody's for the taking. It ebbs and flows, teams have good runs, fall way, come back. Wolves were pretty much run away winners this season but even they got hauled back to within a few points and there were moments when it wasn't so certain.

I watch the odd Premier League game now and I have no sense of yearning for it at all. It looks plastic and distant. I want us to get promoted because a club with an infrastructure as big as ours would really struggle if we stay down too long, & a realistic chance of a trophy would be good, but if we go up, it wouldn't make me look forward to next season with any extra excitement.

In many ways, it'll be a bit sad if we won the play offs because I think whoever we beat would be more excited to win than I would. I remember being at Cardiff with Preston when they got beaten by West Ham, & I remember that the West Ham fans didn't seem as elated as PNE would have been. Now I get why.
It's a really good point: I know my feelin will be one of relief that we are moving forwards again, even if the prospect of the Premier League does not thrill me particularly.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #230 on: April 26, 2018, 11:40:22 AM »
The longer we stay in this Division the smaller the gates the worse the atmosphere and the less relevant we become, how many more parts of the ground do people want to see shut?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #231 on: April 26, 2018, 11:44:02 AM »
I'm still surprised at how many never miss a match supporters are at worst/best ambivalent and at best/worst want us to stay down because they're enjoying it more.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #232 on: April 26, 2018, 11:45:08 AM »

True, if we don't go up this season it's going to get progressively harder. To be honest I think the Manchester two, Arsenal and Chelsea are going to share the next 5 titles between them. Tottenham are going to really struggle to finance their new stadium while keeping onto their coach and best players. Liverpool will really struggle to hold onto Salah this summer.

If you can get over that we would be effectively in a 14 team league but playing progressive football with the likes of Johnstone and Grealish developing further, then the top division is the only place to win.

I'm convinced we are going to win playoffs!

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #233 on: April 26, 2018, 11:47:32 AM »
I'm still surprised at how many never miss a match supporters are at worst/best ambivalent and at best/worst want us to stay down because they're enjoying it more.

I'm enjoying winning and us being the big boys on the block, but we've got to get out of here as soon as possible as there's a financial clock on that.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #234 on: April 26, 2018, 11:48:55 AM »

I'm enjoying winning and us being the big boys on the block, but we've got to get out of here as soon as possible as there's a financial clock on that.

Agreed.

Offline tony_harrison

« Reply #235 on: April 26, 2018, 11:51:12 AM »
I was previously in the win more games/stay in the same division camp, but after seeing the capitulation of Sunderland and the extremely gloomy prospects that they now face, we just can't stay in the Championship for much longer. We need to capitalise on having on the best squads in the division before it is too late.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #236 on: April 26, 2018, 12:22:39 PM »
How long will that enjoyment last though?
At some point the playing field gets leveled to the extent of a half full ground and losing to the likes of Barnsley and their ilk becomes the norm.
That sort of experience is available just down the road.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #237 on: April 26, 2018, 12:34:09 PM »
How long will that enjoyment last though?
At some point the playing field gets leveled to the extent of a half full ground and losing to the likes of Barnsley and their ilk becomes the norm.
That sort of experience is available just down the road.

I agree to some extent but then I would find a full stadium for a game against Newton Heath no less depressing when we have little chance of matching them on the field and a significant percentage of the crowd are day trippers or glory hunters a situation which, along with outside commitments, drove me away in the first place.

However, my overriding desire to see us where I believe we belong, in the top division will trump any enjoyment gained in the tier below.

I shall enjoy the next month, relatively relaxed about the outcome, but should we be in a similar position this time next year I'm not sure I will be the same.

Offline ironmaidenmania

« Reply #238 on: April 26, 2018, 12:35:26 PM »
When Leicester were in the Championship when they were perennial playoff hopefuls, my mate knew several of their directors. They were more than happy to see them do well but not go up. Crowds stayed large because they were winning, whereas they knew they'd struggle in the top division and crowds would drop off. This was proven when they eventually did go up and came straight back down. Supporters of any club want to see them do well and if they are winning the fans will go, if they aren't they won't. We need to be able to compete rather than survive in the PL and I don't feel that this squad or manager are going to do that. I really do see us coming back down straight away if we get promoted without a serious injection of quality players and a quality manager. But who do we buy? Probably the best players from those clubs that have been relegated, and what quality does that add. As for manager, Steve has done a good job in steadying a ship that could easily have done a Sunderland, and he should take a lot of credit for that but as the man to take us forward into the PL I don't believe he is the man for that.

Offline Boz

« Reply #239 on: April 26, 2018, 01:41:38 PM »
When Leicester were in the Championship when they were perennial playoff hopefuls, my mate knew several of their directors. They were more than happy to see them do well but not go up. Crowds stayed large because they were winning, whereas they knew they'd struggle in the top division and crowds would drop off. This was proven when they eventually did go up and came straight back down. Supporters of any club want to see them do well and if they are winning the fans will go, if they aren't they won't. We need to be able to compete rather than survive in the PL and I don't feel that this squad or manager are going to do that. I really do see us coming back down straight away if we get promoted without a serious injection of quality players and a quality manager. But who do we buy? Probably the best players from those clubs that have been relegated, and what quality does that add. As for manager, Steve has done a good job in steadying a ship that could easily have done a Sunderland, and he should take a lot of credit for that but as the man to take us forward into the PL I don't believe he is the man for that.

I have the same opinion for these comments.

If we go up, it should be thanks Steve and adios, but also need some squad strengthening

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal