collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Hospitality  (Read 2568 times)

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
Hospitality
« on: April 12, 2018, 01:14:56 PM »
I've done a quick search and I can't find this anywhere.

I'm taking my Dad into the McGregor Suite for the Leeds match because he had developed quite a major fear of stairs (to the extent that he turned down a cup final ticket in 2015!) so there wasn't"really a good place in the stands to go. So I thought I'd push the boat out and go for it because there are lifts to the McGregor suite, and only a few steps to our seats in smaller crowds than out in the main part of the ground.

It says that the hospitality starts 3 hours before kick off. I'm not sure we want to be there for 3 hours, especially as I'll have to get out of work pretty early to do that. Does anyone have experience of this and know what's a good time to arrive?

Do you need to be there early to get a decent seat? What kind of time I'd the meal and the Q&A? Is it actually well worth being there for 3 hours and we should just make the most of it?

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
Re: Hospitality
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 01:45:11 PM »
There is a lift in the Holte end as well - it is a service lift but I have seen the elderly and the infirm use it

Offline amfy

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 01:59:37 PM »
yep - but then theres potentially quite a few stairs to your seat.

Also - I had already decided we wouldn't go in The Holte again because he can do sitting & he can do standing, but can't be doing with the getting up and down any more! It needs to be one or the other!

So then I looked at the other stands and the available seats were either way down the edges so it wasn't a good view, or really high up.

So anyway - I've booked it as I am thinking he might not make it to Villa Park too many more times so its worth making it good! (performance permitting!)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 03:06:32 PM »
Hope he has a really enjoyable evening amfy. Every once in a while it's not a bad way to watch the game.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 05:26:49 PM »
I need to work out what to spend my loyalty points on. It won't be corporate though.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 05:55:36 PM »
yep - but then theres potentially quite a few stairs to your seat.

Also - I had already decided we wouldn't go in The Holte again because he can do sitting & he can do standing, but can't be doing with the getting up and down any more! It needs to be one or the other!

So then I looked at the other stands and the available seats were either way down the edges so it wasn't a good view, or really high up.

So anyway - I've booked it as I am thinking he might not make it to Villa Park too many more times so its worth making it good! (performance permitting!)

Amfy I'd hope the club will facilitate things for your Dad and his limitations. Do give them a call. I'm not sure (quite understandably) if he'd want to go down the wheel chair route, but I'd hope there are some accessibility options, it'd be good to hear what they say?.

Offline amfy

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 06:37:29 PM »
Ridiculously, my dad (who is 82) coaches about 250 runners at his local athletics club, plays top division table tennis every Monday, and DJs Rock and Roll dances all across the south coast calling himself 'Tony Tunes'! He also goes Rock & Roll dancing 2-3 times a week. He's really not at all infirm & goes out more than me! I always remember him saying 'When you get to my age you can't afford to waste a Saturday night' and I wish I lived that motto better!

However - he has decided that you hear all too often of old people who are absolutely fine, then they have a fall, and the next thing you know they are dead! (Which I have to say, bizarre as it sounds, does have a ring of truth to it!) So he has decided to max out his chances of living longer by avoiding as many stairs as possible!

We have had an email recommending we arrive at the event from the start, and Dad is quite keen to make the most of it - so that's what we'll do!

Offline Ayup

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 10:38:33 PM »
Go for the early start. It will be a leisurely way to begin with. I hope you have a great evening and think your Dad’s motto of ‘never wasting a Saturday night’ is brilliant.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 10:43:29 PM »
Hope you both have a great time.
Your Dad sounds great.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 11:58:06 PM »
Sounds like it might be all a bit tame for him. Let Leeds bring the bovver and Jack bring the magic.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 09:31:46 AM »
Sincerely hope you and your Dad have a great night tonight amfy :)
Me and Jnr are heading down too - lets hope we see a decent performance and 3 points
You must be so proud of your Dad he sounds a true character

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 05:40:49 PM »
Ridiculously, my dad (who is 82) coaches about 250 runners at his local athletics club, plays top division table tennis every Monday, and DJs Rock and Roll dances all across the south coast calling himself 'Tony Tunes'! He also goes Rock & Roll dancing 2-3 times a week. He's really not at all infirm & goes out more than me! I always remember him saying 'When you get to my age you can't afford to waste a Saturday night' and I wish I lived that motto better!

However - he has decided that you hear all too often of old people who are absolutely fine, then they have a fall, and the next thing you know they are dead! (Which I have to say, bizarre as it sounds, does have a ring of truth to it!) So he has decided to max out his chances of living longer by avoiding as many stairs as possible!

We have had an email recommending we arrive at the event from the start, and Dad is quite keen to make the most of it - so that's what we'll do!

He’s right. Ny nan was 92, fell over, broke her hip and didn’t survive the resulting operation. Anaesthetic did for her.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 06:07:42 PM »

That made me chuckle. Excellent

Offline amfy

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 11:47:37 PM »
Well we had a fantastic time. Lovely actually just to spend time together as dad and daughter chatting for a good couple of hours before the game.

The food was great and presented in a way that worked really well. I managed to get 6 drinks out of out 4 tokens. My dad got his picture with Tony Morley and Peter Withe. Our seats were fantastic....and we won.

My big fear about hospitality waan't realised as it was pretty obviously just people like us who were treating themselves. There was even a bit of singing and swearing, and the atmosphere of the ground  came over well.

My dad has said he'd definitely do it again - so it looks like I'm not going to be able to retire any time soon!

Offline Ayup

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2018, 12:35:23 AM »
Glad you enjoyed it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal