collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by algy
[Today at 07:57:27 AM]

Re: FFP by algy
[Today at 07:51:30 AM]

Re: FFP by Rigadon
[Today at 07:24:35 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 07:18:33 AM]

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 07:02:22 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by JD
[Today at 05:32:46 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Hillbilly
[Today at 04:32:33 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ray Wilkins  (Read 10207 times)

Online JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
Re: Ray Wilkins
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2018, 10:30:00 AM »
That is amazing. It just shows what a lovely and caring person Ray Wilkins was.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2018, 01:18:35 PM »
It sure does. Wonderful story.

My abiding memory of Ray Wilkins is slightly different, I think it was when he captained England against Egypt in Cairo in a friendly on 29 January 1986 or Israel, 26 February 1986. The BBC were showing the game live, the ball went out of play for a throw in and Wilkins, who must have been close to a pitch side microphone  shouts out to the ball boy, as clear as day, "Give me that feckin' ball!".
Absolute silence from the BBC commentators.

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2018, 01:25:52 PM »

My abiding memory of Ray Wilkins is slightly different, I think it was when he captained England against Egypt in Cairo in a friendly on 29 January 1986 or Israel, 26 February 1986. The BBC were showing the game live, the ball went out of play for a throw in and Wilkins, who must have been close to a pitch side microphone  shouts out to the ball boy, as clear as day, "Give me that feckin' ball!".
I have it in my mind that it was against Yugoslavia away, in the mid-80s. That said, I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2018, 01:31:33 PM »

I have it in my mind that it was against Yugoslavia away, in the mid-80s. That said, I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday.

I just remember it being somewhere extremely hot and dry. The Israel game makes more sense as England only scored the winner in the final minutes but I'd prefer it to be the Egypt game as Sid played and scored.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2018, 06:03:11 PM »
My three main memories of his playing career are his goal against Belgium in 'the tear gas game' in 1980, his FA cup final goal in 1983 and his sending off in Mexico in 1986.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2018, 12:38:32 AM »
My three main memories of his playing career are his goal against Belgium in 'the tear gas game' in 1980, his FA cup final goal in 1983 and his sending off in Mexico in 1986.

In a footballing sense its that FA Cup goal for United. His playing days at QPR (I remember him being in their side in the 96' season maybe and just knowing that we would score more than them because we had Yorkie and Savo!! and the fact that he never, ever seemed to give the bloody ball away!
And the sending off in Mexico of course.

But the guy did seem an absolute gent and I too listened to the Talksport Jim White show with that call from the once homeless guy and was emotionally moved by what I heard.

Rest in Peace sir.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2018, 08:16:53 AM »
I liked his quirkiness. A lot of his Talksport colleagues have spoken about his replies to being asked how he was. "I'm frighteningly well fella" or "I'm frighteningly good" were some of his phrases.

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2018, 01:14:57 PM »
Worth remembering that he was caught drink driving on three separate occasions (I believe). For all his nice stories (and I actually quite liked him) this is terrible and he could have been another Lee Hughes quite easily.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2018, 05:39:56 PM »
Blimey. It’s always, always the little things that make the biggest difference. Ray could have walked by like millions have. I know I have. But that one conversation from someone he recognized meant so much to this fella. Good for him for getting his life back in order. Another reason why Ray Wilkins will be missed.

It was around the time the Premier League and we had Spurs at home. The cameras interviewed Gascoigne on the way into the ground. He wouldn't do the interview unless they bunged him twenty quid. I was a kid back then and he promptly wandered over to the fence and handed me the money. I am sure there must be loads of good stories about people you wouldn't expect to be so gracious in football.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal