collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 24 years ago today - 27 March 94  (Read 13673 times)

Offline Deano's Mullet

Re: 24 years ago today - 27 March 94
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2018, 04:18:39 PM »
The best day out with Villa I've ever had. We out sang them, out fought and out played them. Teale doing a silly dance right in front of us at the end is a memory that lives long in the memory.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2018, 07:00:14 PM »
One thing I will give them credit for was some of their players clapped us after they received their medals.

Wonderful performance as they were very fucking strong - Schmeichel was suspended which was a pretty big bonus. Cantona very quiet IIRC

Unlike the Leeds mob who stormed off in an understandable huff a couple of years later.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2018, 07:55:53 PM »
I have vague memories of a French TV crew asking a group of Villa fans for their opinions on Cantona before the game. You can guess how that went. I was in a group close to them so I may or may not have made a brief background appearance on French TV but I will never know for sure.

Damo, because of Cantona the game was shown live on French tv.  The resurrection of his career in England was a big thing in France so you may have been on the box. The blokes in my Sunday team in Paris were really impressed by the Villa and the intensity of the game as a whole.

Watching some of the highlights there two things stood out - Villa fans singing YNWA just as they pulled it back to 2-1 (which I had completely forgotten) and the fact that nost Manyoo fans stayed to see the trophy presentation.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2018, 08:18:09 PM »
My stand out memory is apologising profusely to to the guy in front of me for punching him very hard in the back of the neck whilst attempting to punch clear a ball that had been swung into Mark Bosnich when they had us under the cosh a bit at after making it 2-1. The bloke graciously accepted my apology and was clearly as nervous as I was at that point.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2018, 09:24:01 PM »
One thing I will give them credit for was some of their players clapped us after they received their medals.

Wonderful performance as they were very fucking strong - Schmeichel was suspended which was a pretty big bonus. Cantona very quiet IIRC

Unlike the Leeds mob who stormed off in an understandable huff a couple of years later.

Cantona was on the receiving end of an Andy Townsend "hard but fair" early on and didn't want to know for the rest of the game. I often think that that was the moment we won the game.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2018, 10:51:54 PM »

Cantona was on the receiving end of an Andy Townsend "hard but fair" early on and didn't want to know for the rest of the game. I often think that that was the moment we won the game.

BFR always said as well that he didnt have anyone man mark Cantona so that the Frenchman wouldnt see it as a challenge and up his game.

Offline Stu82

• GM : 29.09.2024
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2018, 08:23:01 PM »
One of my favorite games.
When we got to our seats, we were literally on a wooden bench with our backs to the wall.
To make things worse there was one row of Villa, then all in front of us were Man Utd fans.
Thought it wasnt going to end well, when Villa fan in our row kept baiting the united fans.
The game started and our solitary row sang as loud as all the rest of the Villa, while Mancs sat quiet.
Agree with Townsend's robust tackle on Cantona, because he didnt have any major influence on the game after.
Atkinsons goal seemed to take an age to cross the line, but we went crazy.

Must say after the final whistle the United fans turned round congratulated us and said our support was immense.

What a day.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal