collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Attendance Statistics  (Read 7793 times)

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
Re: Attendance Statistics
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2018, 04:30:52 PM »
Or Liverpool or Manchester United or Manchester City or Arsenal or Spurs or Chelsea....

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2018, 12:23:39 AM »
As well as being big and having some success in the late sixties and early seventies Leeds were the only top flight Yorkshire club for over a decade. Sheffield United and Huddersfield went down in the early seventies and Sheffield Wednesday spent the entire seventies and first half of the eighties in the second and third divisions. I would guess that all the floating fans from various parts of Yorkshire latched on to Leeds.

You'd guess wrong. That's like suggesting Liverpudlians would support Manchester Utd if Liverpool were shit.

Sheffield supporters all hate Leeds. In fact most people hate Leeds. They get the crowds they do because they are in a one club city.

Sure back in the day they picked up some fans because if their success but I've genuinely not met a Leeds fan in Sheffield in the 15 years I've been here.

Harrogate had some, which is understandable, but even then there were more Liverpool and Manchester United fans. Bradford and Huddersfield have quite a few I guess. Someone in West Yorkshire would tell you better.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2018, 12:32:34 AM »
Like you I can’t ever remember meeting any non Leeds based Yorkshire Leeds fans.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2018, 04:15:12 PM »
Like you I can’t ever remember meeting any non Leeds based Yorkshire Leeds fans.

I have met a few over the years, admittedly not many. But they have tended to be second generation Leeds fans influenced by glory hunting fathers who latched onto Leeds in the late sixties and early seventies. I know two brothers from Kings Heath who were very unsuccessful glory hunters. The younger brother became a Stoke supporter as a young kid when he saw them win the league cup and his older brother had latched on to Manchester City in their successful spell around the turn of the seventies. Obviously the older brother has been happier in recent years.

Sorry, misread your post. I was talking about non Leeds based Leeds fans in general, not ones from other parts of Yorkshire.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2018, 04:31:46 PM »
Tom Ross on twitter says Blues have sold out their Bolton away allocation 4800
that’s actually more than we took if correct

Surprising

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2018, 04:38:14 PM »
They’ve won a game under (another) new dawn.  Don’t forget Rover is probably off for Easter so none of them on permanents days and nights at the same time.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2018, 04:39:54 PM »
They did a big online push for this game across forums etc. Probably because they want another letter from that Bolton fan.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2018, 04:41:21 PM »

I know one from Hebdon Bridge. She doesn't care much though.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2018, 04:41:27 PM »
Bit embarrassing Bolton doing kids for a quid just so they’re not outnumbered though.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2018, 04:42:04 PM »

Is she dirty?

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2018, 04:42:12 PM »

There's loads in North Yorkshire as far as Richmond, York to the north east and down to Scunthorpe (Lincolnshire), everywhere north of Doncaster and Barnsley, over to Huddlesfield and up to Skipton. As a Metropolitan area Leeds is the third biggest city in the UK.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2018, 04:48:13 PM »

Is she dirty?

I've been unable to find out.

Offline Pete

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2018, 04:48:46 PM »
As well as being big and having some success in the late sixties and early seventies Leeds were the only top flight Yorkshire club for over a decade. Sheffield United and Huddersfield went down in the early seventies and Sheffield Wednesday spent the entire seventies and first half of the eighties in the second and third divisions. I would guess that all the floating fans from various parts of Yorkshire latched on to Leeds.

Would you say the same happened to Villa during our years without a credible local rival being in our division?

I think each Midland club has it's own areas of support. Without being an expert on Yorkshire I would guess there are towns and villages which don't identify with one particular team and fans from there have probably latched on to a local club like Leeds or Wednesday.

Huddersfield, Bradford and Leeds, Barnsley, Sheffield and their nearby villages are strongholds of their own local teams. Outside their areas you're right, I reckon there's a split between gloryhunters and three clubs - in West Yorkshire it tends to be Leeds, South Yorkshire mostly one of the Sheffields. One thing for sure, most other clubs' fans can't stand Leeds. I even know some blokes who even refuse to shop there, out of principle.

Offline Pete

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2018, 04:55:11 PM »

You'd guess wrong. That's like suggesting Liverpudlians would support Manchester Utd if Liverpool were shit.

Sheffield supporters all hate Leeds. In fact most people hate Leeds. They get the crowds they do because they are in a one club city.

Sure back in the day they picked up some fans because if their success but I've genuinely not met a Leeds fan in Sheffield in the 15 years I've been here.

Harrogate had some, which is understandable, but even then there were more Liverpool and Manchester United fans. Bradford and Huddersfield have quite a few I guess. Someone in West Yorkshire would tell you better.

I don't know about Bradford, but in 20 years living in Huddersfield I've only known a handful. To support Leeds here is stigmatised. I'd guess the 'border' for this is around Dewsbury/Batley way.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2018, 05:19:28 PM »
My brother-in-law was in Doncaster for a few years and there were loads of Leeds there at the time, was just after the bubble burst so it might have been gloryhunters who were hanging on.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal