collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Attendance Statistics  (Read 7843 times)

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
Re: Attendance Statistics
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2018, 10:59:51 AM »
I grew up in a town in north Yorkshire, there were far more Boro fans at my school than Leeds.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2018, 03:07:15 PM »
I've only ever known one bloke from Leeds. Strangely he was a Villa fan despite never lives anywhere near Birmingham.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2018, 03:39:33 PM »
I've only ever known one bloke from Leeds. Strangely he was a Villa fan despite never lives anywhere near Birmingham.

Glory-hunter. I bet he's about 110.

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2018, 04:19:10 PM »
As well as being big and having some success in the late sixties and early seventies Leeds were the only top flight Yorkshire club for over a decade. Sheffield United and Huddersfield went down in the early seventies and Sheffield Wednesday spent the entire seventies and first half of the eighties in the second and third divisions. I would guess that all the floating fans from various parts of Yorkshire latched on to Leeds.

You'd guess wrong. That's like suggesting Liverpudlians would support Manchester Utd if Liverpool were shit.

Sheffield supporters all hate Leeds. In fact most people hate Leeds. They get the crowds they do because they are in a one club city.

Sure back in the day they picked up some fans because if their success but I've genuinely not met a Leeds fan in Sheffield in the 15 years I've been here.

Harrogate had some, which is understandable, but even then there were more Liverpool and Manchester United fans. Bradford and Huddersfield have quite a few I guess. Someone in West Yorkshire would tell you better.

I don't know about Bradford, but in 20 years living in Huddersfield I've only known a handful. To support Leeds here is stigmatised. I'd guess the 'border' for this is around Dewsbury/Batley way.

Yep that area is pretty much split three ways, Leeds probably have the biggest lump with Huddersfield obviously growing the last couple of years and then Bradford. The thing about Leeds fans is they shout about their allegiance as they are generally arrogant bas***ds.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2018, 07:05:43 PM »
When I lived abroad I worked for a while with a Sheffield United fan from Pontefract. His claims to fame were that he had played for Frickley Athletic and was big mates with actors Sean Bean and Chris Walker*.

*The Manageress, Corrie, Doctors and the patient in the "There May Be Trouble Ahead" advert.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2018, 07:18:31 PM »
Another thing to factor in was that Rugby League was a big attraction back in the 60`s and 70`s
With Leeds, Castleford and Bradford having reasonable attendances - this sport was well supported by those from the Colliery towns and villages in Yorkshire

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2018, 08:58:24 AM »
My eldest Brother is a Leeds fans, from the glory hunting days. Doubt he's ever seen them live either. times I've been to Villa v Leeds games he was always 'busy' doing nothing in particular. 

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2018, 11:18:52 AM »
Met 2 people from Sheffield who support Leeds.

However the may other dozens I have met are either Wednesday or United

Offline Pete

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2018, 11:41:36 AM »
As well as being big and having some success in the late sixties and early seventies Leeds were the only top flight Yorkshire club for over a decade. Sheffield United and Huddersfield went down in the early seventies and Sheffield Wednesday spent the entire seventies and first half of the eighties in the second and third divisions. I would guess that all the floating fans from various parts of Yorkshire latched on to Leeds.

You'd guess wrong. That's like suggesting Liverpudlians would support Manchester Utd if Liverpool were shit.

Sheffield supporters all hate Leeds. In fact most people hate Leeds. They get the crowds they do because they are in a one club city.

Sure back in the day they picked up some fans because if their success but I've genuinely not met a Leeds fan in Sheffield in the 15 years I've been here.

Harrogate had some, which is understandable, but even then there were more Liverpool and Manchester United fans. Bradford and Huddersfield have quite a few I guess. Someone in West Yorkshire would tell you better.

I don't know about Bradford, but in 20 years living in Huddersfield I've only known a handful. To support Leeds here is stigmatised. I'd guess the 'border' for this is around Dewsbury/Batley way.

Yep that area is pretty much split three ways, Leeds probably have the biggest lump with Huddersfield obviously growing the last couple of years and then Bradford. The thing about Leeds fans is they shout about their allegiance as they are generally arrogant bas***ds.

I've been here nearly 20 years. In that time Huddersfield's attendances have fluctuated between 10 and 15 thousand. This season it's 20,000 sellouts all season. Not bad for a place with a population of 150,000. Imagine the crowds if that proportion of Brummies went to the football.

Offline andyaston

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2018, 12:19:06 PM »

I've been here nearly 20 years. In that time Huddersfield's attendances have fluctuated between 10 and 15 thousand. This season it's 20,000 sellouts all season. Not bad for a place with a population of 150,000. Imagine the crowds if that proportion of Brummies went to the football.
That's an easy arguement to make, as they are the only club within the urban area and are getting bigger crowds due to recent success. Dont forget Burnley are getting 20,000 crowds with half the population of Huddersfield.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2018, 12:24:15 PM »
It's incredible how many people in place like Huddersfied (or Reading, Swansea, Norwich...) suddenly realise that the big building on the other side of the town is a football ground when they get into the Premier League.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2018, 12:44:36 PM »
Norwich have (or did when I lived there in the early-mid noughties) the highest attendance Vs capacity ratio in the country, including time spent in this league.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2018, 12:45:21 PM »
Norwich have (or did when I lived there in the early-mid noughties) the highest attendance Vs capacity ratio in the country, including time spent in this league.

But have they won the Atari 6-aside?

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2018, 12:54:51 PM »
There have been a number of periods in living memory when we could and should have acted like a big club.
Somehow we have allways contrived to be the nearly men of English football.
Sad really.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2018, 03:28:50 PM »

What else is there to do in Norwich though?!

Its why they can charge so much too.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal